Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
AnthonySR20DET
 
AnthonySR20DET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Okinawa Japan
Age: 36
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: (0)
AnthonySR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR S14/S15 SR20det engine clarification please!

Hey all,

So im one of the lucky ones stationed in Japan who got the opportunity to purchase a S15 Spec-R. The issue is I cant tell if this motor is a S14 or a actual S15 engine since its past is unknown or wheater this engine has been swapped. The reason I ask is because I know that on most S14 engines they use the acorn style valve cover nuts and on S15s they usually have the flat nuts. This particular engine has acorn style. I need to change the valve cover since mine is cracked and leaking oil and I know S14 and S15 valve covers differ. I did the obvious checks, the VIN came back as a actual spec-R, the ECU is a S15 spec R ECU, and the injectors are also S15 spec-R 480cc. Is there anywhere else on the motor I can check to see where this motor came from or were there S15 motors with acorn style nuts as well? For all I know this motor could be a half S15/14 motor. Thanks! I know in the photo its hard to see, but the nuts on the front of the valve cover are acorn S14 style
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (128.9 KB, 69 views)
AnthonySR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
lucas240sx
Zilvia FREAK!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: shawnee,okl
Age: 36
Posts: 1,303
Trader Rating: (16)
lucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Lucky you....ship me some stuff

Sorry i cant help here, bump for you
lucas240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 6,340
Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What makes you think that the motor was swapped? From my understanding the valve covers are identical, it's just the hardware that differs between the two...
__________________
*My SR20VET* Does your VTC gear rattle in your S14/15 SR? PM me.
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: オーランドフロリダ
Posts: 7,955
Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Well take it for what you will, but there are different part numbers amongst the two valve covers.

S14 SR20DET: 13264-69F02
S15 SR20DET: 13264-91F00
__________________
KiLLeR2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
K_style
Post Whore!
 
K_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 7,666
Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
What makes you think that the motor was swapped? From my understanding the valve covers are identical, it's just the hardware that differs between the two...

S14 and S15 have different Valve cover.

Loos same overall but where the coilpacks go is different.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
AnthonySR20DET
 
AnthonySR20DET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Okinawa Japan
Age: 36
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: (0)
AnthonySR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
What makes you think that the motor was swapped? From my understanding the valve covers are identical, it's just the hardware that differs between the two...
The previous owner stated that the prior motor overboosted and blew, but that was information he got from the person he bought it from. The valve covers are identical for the most part except the coil packs don't fit properly between the two.
AnthonySR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
AnthonySR20DET
 
AnthonySR20DET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Okinawa Japan
Age: 36
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: (0)
AnthonySR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
What makes you think that the motor was swapped? From my understanding the valve covers are identical, it's just the hardware that differs between the two...
So would the hardware be the give away then? Because from what I've seen the acorn style valve cover nuts are from S14s
AnthonySR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
K_style
Post Whore!
 
K_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 7,666
Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySR20DET View Post
Hey all,

So im one of the lucky ones stationed in Japan who got the opportunity to purchase a S15 Spec-R. The issue is I cant tell if this motor is a S14 or a actual S15 engine since its past is unknown or wheater this engine has been swapped. The reason I ask is because I know that on most S14 engines they use the acorn style valve cover nuts and on S15s they usually have the flat nuts. This particular engine has acorn style. I need to change the valve cover since mine is cracked and leaking oil and I know S14 and S15 valve covers differ. I did the obvious checks, the VIN came back as a actual spec-R, the ECU is a S15 spec R ECU, and the injectors are also S15 spec-R 480cc. Is there anywhere else on the motor I can check to see where this motor came from or were there S15 motors with acorn style nuts as well? For all I know this motor could be a half S15/14 motor. Thanks! I know in the photo its hard to see, but the nuts on the front of the valve cover are acorn S14 style

Well first of all you if your motor has 6 speed, 99% sure it is S15 motor. only few will bother to go through 6 speed conversion for S14 motor.

S15 and S14 Kouki SR20s have bolt for valve cover and S14 Zenki and S13 SR20s have washer and nuts for valve cover.

In your case, someone could have been replaced it old style for some reason or replaced with S14 head since they are identical.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
K_style
Post Whore!
 
K_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 7,666
Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
FYI You can use S15 ECU on S14 motor as long as you have S15 coilpacks and you have S15 Engine harness or re-pin the S14 Kouki harness.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 6,340
Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I forget that the coil pack area was changed on the S15 for the smaller dia coils.
__________________
*My SR20VET* Does your VTC gear rattle in your S14/15 SR? PM me.
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
K_style
Post Whore!
 
K_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 7,666
Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I forget that the coil pack area was changed on the S15 for the smaller dia coils.
yes, I believe S15 and SR20VE has same diameter Coilpacks.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
AnthonySR20DET
 
AnthonySR20DET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Okinawa Japan
Age: 36
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: (0)
AnthonySR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
Well first of all you if your motor has 6 speed, 99% sure it is S15 motor. only few will bother to go through 6 speed conversion for S14 motor.

S15 and S14 Kouki SR20s have bolt for valve cover and S14 Zenki and S13 SR20s have washer and nuts for valve cover.

In your case, someone could have been replaced it old style for some reason or replaced with S14 head since they are identical.
Yeah I think you might be right, it is 6 speed and I'm running S15 coil packs, (split fire) I think ill just go ahead and get and get a new S15 valve cover then, I was hoping to solve this motor mystery, the only bad thing about buying cars in Japan I they all at least probably had 20 owners and all kinds of shady things and stuff you have to find out.
AnthonySR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 6,340
Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
yes, I believe S15 and SR20VE has same diameter Coilpacks.
The P12 may have the same diameter coils. The P11 uses a distributor and plug wires.
__________________
*My SR20VET* Does your VTC gear rattle in your S14/15 SR? PM me.
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
K_style
Post Whore!
 
K_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 7,666
Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
The P12 may have the same diameter coils. The P11 uses a distributor and plug wires.
Oh yea, that's what I meant.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
K_style
Post Whore!
 
K_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 7,666
Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySR20DET View Post
Yeah I think you might be right, it is 6 speed and I'm running S15 coil packs, (split fire) I think ill just go ahead and get and get a new S15 valve cover then, I was hoping to solve this motor mystery, the only bad thing about buying cars in Japan I they all at least probably had 20 owners and all kinds of shady things and stuff you have to find out.
Well, it's because lot of people only own the car till their emission test and inspection. so people change the car ever 2~3 years or so.

Regardless what motor you have, if you have S15 coilpacks get S15 valve cover.

S15 coilpacks are different than Spitfire coilpacks.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
Mikester
Nissanaholic!
 
Mikester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kathleen, GA
Age: 51
Posts: 1,956
Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySR20DET View Post
Yeah I think you might be right, it is 6 speed and I'm running S15 coil packs, (split fire) I think ill just go ahead and get and get a new S15 valve cover then, I was hoping to solve this motor mystery, the only bad thing about buying cars in Japan I they all at least probably had 20 owners and all kinds of shady things and stuff you have to find out.
Dude, on any given Sunday night after say 10-11pm, turn right out Kadena Gate 1 onto 58...Go down to the Lawson on the left past the marina... You will see a bunch of gaijin-looking dudes with nice cars out there hanging out... A lot of those guys are the old heads that have been in Okinawa since gradeschool. Pick their brains... get to know them... and listen to what they have to teach you. I learned a TON from those guys in the 6yrs I spent there. Tell them Mikester says hi.

Also, get an account here: www.zeroyon.com
__________________
Mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
godsmack
Zilvia Addict
 
godsmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Allentown, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 652
Trader Rating: (0)
godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^^ loved going out there to see the..... um..... cars. You can also go to bill at b&m right out gate 1 also. But def get an account on zeroyon. The guys on there are pretty cool.
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
AnthonySR20DET
 
AnthonySR20DET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Okinawa Japan
Age: 36
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: (0)
AnthonySR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsmack View Post
^^^ loved going out there to see the..... um..... cars. You can also go to bill at b&m right out gate 1 also. But def get an account on zeroyon. The guys on there are pretty cool.
Yeah I've been here for 2yrs already, I regularly use Bill for parts and he has worked on my car a few times.
AnthonySR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
AnthonySR20DET
 
AnthonySR20DET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Okinawa Japan
Age: 36
Posts: 29
Trader Rating: (0)
AnthonySR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Dude, on any given Sunday night after say 10-11pm, turn right out Kadena Gate 1 onto 58...Go down to the Lawson on the left past the marina... You will see a bunch of gaijin-looking dudes with nice cars out there hanging out... A lot of those guys are the old heads that have been in Okinawa since gradeschool. Pick their brains... get to know them... and listen to what they have to teach you. I learned a TON from those guys in the 6yrs I spent there. Tell them Mikester says hi.

Also, get an account here: www.zeroyon.com
I've seen a lot of different hang spots but I've hardly been out that late on a Sunday night haha sucks getting up at 4am
AnthonySR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat
 
fliprayzin240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tampa
Posts: 17,998
Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySR20DET View Post
Yeah I think you might be right, it is 6 speed and I'm running S15 coil packs, (split fire) I think ill just go ahead and get and get a new S15 valve cover then, I was hoping to solve this motor mystery, the only bad thing about buying cars in Japan I they all at least probably had 20 owners and all kinds of shady things and stuff you have to find out.
Valve cover holes are where its different. S13/S14 and S15 NA valvecovers all have larger coilpack holes. Its not easy to find S15 Spec R S valvecovers since not a whole lot of folks would part out their parts. There's not really anything different between S14 and S15 engines internally.
__________________

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright ? 1998 - 2022, Zilvia.net