Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
AnthonySR20DET

Trader Rating: (0)
AnthonySR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR S14/S15 SR20det engine clarification please!

Hey all,

So im one of the lucky ones stationed in Japan who got the opportunity to purchase a S15 Spec-R. The issue is I cant tell if this motor is a S14 or a actual S15 engine since its past is unknown or wheater this engine has been swapped. The reason I ask is because I know that on most S14 engines they use the acorn style valve cover nuts and on S15s they usually have the flat nuts. This particular engine has acorn style. I need to change the valve cover since mine is cracked and leaking oil and I know S14 and S15 valve covers differ. I did the obvious checks, the VIN came back as a actual spec-R, the ECU is a S15 spec R ECU, and the injectors are also S15 spec-R 480cc. Is there anywhere else on the motor I can check to see where this motor came from or were there S15 motors with acorn style nuts as well? For all I know this motor could be a half S15/14 motor. Thanks! I know in the photo its hard to see, but the nuts on the front of the valve cover are acorn S14 style
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (128.9 KB, 69 views)
AnthonySR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
lucas240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
lucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the roughlucas240sx is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Lucky you....ship me some stuff

Sorry i cant help here, bump for you
lucas240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What makes you think that the motor was swapped? From my understanding the valve covers are identical, it's just the hardware that differs between the two...
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Well take it for what you will, but there are different part numbers amongst the two valve covers.

S14 SR20DET: 13264-69F02
S15 SR20DET: 13264-91F00
Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
What makes you think that the motor was swapped? From my understanding the valve covers are identical, it's just the hardware that differs between the two...

S14 and S15 have different Valve cover.

Loos same overall but where the coilpacks go is different.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
AnthonySR20DET

Quote:
The previous owner stated that the prior motor overboosted and blew, but that was information he got from the person he bought it from. The valve covers are identical for the most part except the coil packs don't fit properly between the two.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
AnthonySR20DET

Quote:
So would the hardware be the give away then? Because from what I've seen the acorn style valve cover nuts are from S14s
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
K_style
Post Whore!

K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySR20DET View Post
Hey all,

So im one of the lucky ones stationed in Japan who got the opportunity to purchase a S15 Spec-R. The issue is I cant tell if this motor is a S14 or a actual S15 engine since its past is unknown or wheater this engine has been swapped. The reason I ask is because I know that on most S14 engines they use the acorn style valve cover nuts and on S15s they usually have the flat nuts. This particular engine has acorn style. I need to change the valve cover since mine is cracked and leaking oil and I know S14 and S15 valve covers differ. I did the obvious checks, the VIN came back as a actual spec-R, the ECU is a S15 spec R ECU, and the injectors are also S15 spec-R 480cc. Is there anywhere else on the motor I can check to see where this motor came from or were there S15 motors with acorn style nuts as well? For all I know this motor could be a half S15/14 motor. Thanks! I know in the photo its hard to see, but the nuts on the front of the valve cover are acorn S14 style

Well first of all you if your motor has 6 speed, 99% sure it is S15 motor. only few will bother to go through 6 speed conversion for S14 motor.

S15 and S14 Kouki SR20s have bolt for valve cover and S14 Zenki and S13 SR20s have washer and nuts for valve cover.

In your case, someone could have been replaced it old style for some reason or replaced with S14 head since they are identical.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
K_style
Post Whore!

FYI You can use S15 ECU on S14 motor as long as you have S15 coilpacks and you have S15 Engine harness or re-pin the S14 Kouki harness.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
I forget that the coil pack area was changed on the S15 for the smaller dia coils.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
K_style
Post Whore!

Quote:
I forget that the coil pack area was changed on the S15 for the smaller dia coils.
yes, I believe S15 and SR20VE has same diameter Coilpacks.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
AnthonySR20DET

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
Well first of all you if your motor has 6 speed, 99% sure it is S15 motor. only few will bother to go through 6 speed conversion for S14 motor.

S15 and S14 Kouki SR20s have bolt for valve cover and S14 Zenki and S13 SR20s have washer and nuts for valve cover.

In your case, someone could have been replaced it old style for some reason or replaced with S14 head since they are identical.
Yeah I think you might be right, it is 6 speed and I'm running S15 coil packs, (split fire) I think ill just go ahead and get and get a new S15 valve cover then, I was hoping to solve this motor mystery, the only bad thing about buying cars in Japan I they all at least probably had 20 owners and all kinds of shady things and stuff you have to find out.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
yes, I believe S15 and SR20VE has same diameter Coilpacks.
The P12 may have the same diameter coils. The P11 uses a distributor and plug wires.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
K_style
Post Whore!

Quote:
The P12 may have the same diameter coils. The P11 uses a distributor and plug wires.
Oh yea, that's what I meant.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
K_style
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yeah I think you might be right, it is 6 speed and I'm running S15 coil packs, (split fire) I think ill just go ahead and get and get a new S15 valve cover then, I was hoping to solve this motor mystery, the only bad thing about buying cars in Japan I they all at least probably had 20 owners and all kinds of shady things and stuff you have to find out.
Well, it's because lot of people only own the car till their emission test and inspection. so people change the car ever 2~3 years or so.

Regardless what motor you have, if you have S15 coilpacks get S15 valve cover.

S15 coilpacks are different than Spitfire coilpacks.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Dude, on any given Sunday night after say 10-11pm, turn right out Kadena Gate 1 onto 58...Go down to the Lawson on the left past the marina... You will see a bunch of gaijin-looking dudes with nice cars out there hanging out... A lot of those guys are the old heads that have been in Okinawa since gradeschool. Pick their brains... get to know them... and listen to what they have to teach you. I learned a TON from those guys in the 6yrs I spent there. Tell them Mikester says hi.

Also, get an account here: www.zeroyon.com
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
godsmack
Zilvia Addict

godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ loved going out there to see the..... um..... cars. You can also go to bill at b&m right out gate 1 also. But def get an account on zeroyon. The guys on there are pretty cool.
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
AnthonySR20DET

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsmack View Post
^^^ loved going out there to see the..... um..... cars. You can also go to bill at b&m right out gate 1 also. But def get an account on zeroyon. The guys on there are pretty cool.
Yeah I've been here for 2yrs already, I regularly use Bill for parts and he has worked on my car a few times.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
AnthonySR20DET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Dude, on any given Sunday night after say 10-11pm, turn right out Kadena Gate 1 onto 58...Go down to the Lawson on the left past the marina... You will see a bunch of gaijin-looking dudes with nice cars out there hanging out... A lot of those guys are the old heads that have been in Okinawa since gradeschool. Pick their brains... get to know them... and listen to what they have to teach you. I learned a TON from those guys in the 6yrs I spent there. Tell them Mikester says hi.

Also, get an account here: www.zeroyon.com
I've seen a lot of different hang spots but I've hardly been out that late on a Sunday night haha sucks getting up at 4am
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Valve cover holes are where its different. S13/S14 and S15 NA valvecovers all have larger coilpack holes. Its not easy to find S15 Spec R S valvecovers since not a whole lot of folks would part out their parts. There's not really anything different between S14 and S15 engines internally.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote