Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
NinjaGaiden
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
NinjaGaiden is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
roll over dangers from parking lot autoXing

My co-worker and I are going to split an s13 coupe within a week or two for track, autoXing and drifting.

For the autoXing and drifting events done in a parking lot. If it is a big parking lot without anything you can hit, is there any way to roll the car over? or any dangers in rolling the car?

My co worker wants to get an $800 helmet because he thinks there is such a danger? I told him unless the car hits something stuck on the ground when it is drifting, it will not roll over; it may understeer or oversteer, but it will not roll over.

What do you guys think? Have any of you seen cars roll over when autoXing or drifting in a big parking lot?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
hookedup240
Zilvia FREAK!

hookedup240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hookedup240
it could happen, but its not likely that it will as long as you arent drifting in the rain and hit a dry patch really hard you should be ok.
hookedup240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
goodjuan
Zilvia Junkie

goodjuan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to goodjuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaGaiden
My co-worker and I are going to split an s13 coupe within a week or two for track, autoXing and drifting.

For the autoXing and drifting events done in a parking lot. If it is a big parking lot without anything you can hit, is there any way to roll the car over? or any dangers in rolling the car?

My co worker wants to get an $800 helmet because he thinks there is such a danger? I told him unless the car hits something stuck on the ground when it is drifting, it will not roll over; it may understeer or oversteer, but it will not roll over.

What do you guys think? Have any of you seen cars roll over when autoXing or drifting in a big parking lot?

I've only done a handful of events...just one in the rain. I can say that i've felt more likely to roll over on the off ramp during the commute to the event. have fun!
goodjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
800 helmet... wow

what about a roll cage?

you could roll over, but it has to be somewhat extreme...
higher speeds will increase the chance of one, so is crappy suspension, wheels/tires...
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
most autocrosses wont allow speed to go over 60mph.. in other word.. you wont be seeing 3rd gear in most autocrosses..
i've been autocrossing for +3years now and i havent seen any car flipped over... although i've seen some wrecks.. but none of em rolled...

things happen man but rolling over has more chance to happen in road racing...

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
wishihadasilvia

wishihadasilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah rollover in a drift event is possible but almost impossible. As long as u set up the suspension for drifting IE little body roll and stiff travel the chance of rollover in a flat parkinglot is almost impossible. Additionally a helmet is nessacery at most track events anyway for liablity reasons, but invest in a roll cage for the car before you invest to much in a "roll cage" for you dome
wishihadasilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:30 PM   #7
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
parking lots, not likely
real track, definately possible, yes even drifting
hit some soft dirt sideways at a nice speed....get ready for a wild ride
ive seen cars roll at evenst, but they ahve been grip...havent seen a drift one yet, but i know its happenned in so cali at the track. anyways..unlikely

if he's really THAT nervous, i dont think motorsports would be his best bet..stick with GT3
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:45 PM   #8
tsunami0ne
Zilvia Junkie

tsunami0ne is an unknown quantity at this point
an 800 dollar helmet for auto-x drifitng is excessive.
tsunami0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #9
C.
Zilvia Member

C. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaGaiden

It is possible, but is not very likely, he would have to be pushing the car very, VERY hard, and considering the fact that he’s willing to spending $800 on just a helmet leads me to believe that he doesn't have the balls to push it hard enough to flip it over.
BTW I am not trying to offend you (or him) this is just my opinion.
C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:11 AM   #10
Halz
BANNED

Halz is an unknown quantity at this point

This picture ought to calm his nerves
Halz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:14 AM   #11
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
^^^^^ HOLY CRAP!!!! wtf!!>!!?! how fast was he going? or maybe he has some very very very sticky tires...

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:16 AM   #12
NinjaGaiden
Zilvia Junkie

NinjaGaiden is an unknown quantity at this point
lol, nice saturn

Nah, this guy is really cool, but he just takes very good care about his health and safety. The guy rides a motorcycle, so i'm sure he isn't scared of a little autoXing. We just got in a debate whether the 240 would roll if it took a turn hard enough, and i wouldnt' think it would. Mine either oversteers or understeers.

Thanks for the response guys.

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:56 AM   #13
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its never going to roll with anything less than slicks on it.

800$ could almost buy another 240
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:01 AM   #14
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
haha, that's a cool saturn pic,
man, imagine sitting in the car and anticipating the bounce/slam...
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:23 AM   #15
Matt_240
Internet Drifter

Matt_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
at the last drift session, an rx7(1st gen) rolled over doin choku dori. i dont know how fast he was going or what happened, but all i know is that rollovers do happen and you can never be too careful. the car was driveable afterwards and the driver didn't suffer any injuries, but it was pretty messed up.
Matt_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #16
nokeone
on strike three.

nokeone is making a name for him/her selfnokeone is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to nokeone Send a message via MSN to nokeone Send a message via Yahoo to nokeone
yeah i've seen two rollovers at Buttonwillow and one at Streets of Willow Springs...all three were during grip sessions...two were the result of soft dirt hit sideways while going off track...and one due to clipping a corner berm at the wrong angle (this one was very unlucky and just by chance)...never seen one at any parking lot events, autocrosses, or drift sessions...

roll cage before an expensive helmet...if the roof caves in and breaks your neck a helmet aint doing shit...plus with the current rating and safety standards anything SA-2000 is pretty damn safe...the expense is for a lighter weight helmet most of the time...
Old 03-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #17
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
Price of a helmet should never be a concern. Proper fitment, and comfort should be. (and sometimes aerodynamics if your in an open-top racecar) As was already said by Nokeone, the helmets are all built to meet their ratings. How safe they are is right there.

Helmet ratings are good for 10 years. Make sure you buy something you'll be willing to use for that long.

Roll cage isn't necessary at parking lot speeds or even at HPDE's and track events... Helmet is always mandatory.

I will be the odd ball here and say if it takes an $800 helmet to be comfortable then so be it. It's still more important than the roll cage.

And rollovers, and accidents do happen. It's a calculated risk we all take when we participate in motorsports.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #18
nokeone
on strike three.

nokeone is making a name for him/her selfnokeone is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to nokeone Send a message via MSN to nokeone Send a message via Yahoo to nokeone
^^ i hope my post wasn't misinterpretted...i certainly wasn't trying to imply that i would choose to have a roll cage in a car before a helmet on my head...lol...i was just trying to convey that 800$ is better spent elsewhere when you can get a Bell Helmet with an SA2000 rating for $299 online...

Old 03-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #19
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
Overpriced Helmet=$800 you get a pretty looking helmet

4 point Roll Bar+decent helmet=$600 you get a stiffer chassis, car feels more nimble, plus you're safer for rollover. and a roll cage/bar looks better than any helmet
Old 03-24-2004, 06:04 PM   #20
240 2NR
Zilvia FREAK!

240 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
I second the above post.

If you're really that concerned with rolling the 240, I'd get the roll bar and $300 helmet (and if you've got the roll bar you might as well throw on a 5/6 point harness), over throwing all your eggs in one basket so to speak with the $800 helmet.

Not only is that likely to be the safer setup, you'll get the additional benefits of a stiffer chassis and that ultra cool race look of having a roll bar.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #21
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

MovinUp-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't need a roll bar for autocrossing a 240sx. I've seen three incidents where a car rolled, including the pics of the saturn. That saturn did that because he was on stock very soft suspension and the course and tires were very very sticky. Plus the corner was slightly off camber. The other incident I saw a VW rabbit rolled at the fourth cone in a slalom. Another case of soft suspension, very sticky tires, and overcorrecting in a turn.

The third incident the car went off track and into a ditch because the kid never took his foot off the gas pedal.

Don't worry about rolling your car at an SCCA autocross. It just ain't gonna happen with a 240. A good helmet is never a bad idea, although I will say you can get the same level of protection from a $250 helmet as you can from an $800 helmet.
MovinUp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:11 PM   #22
wishihadasilvia

wishihadasilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
one other thing, he said the guys into motorcycles, and i might guess its a Crotch rocket. he would have a helmet from that which would be just fine to use inside a car since its designed to go toe-toe with pavement. rollcage+ bike helmet= real safe
wishihadasilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #23
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
i bought my bike helmet(arai) for 450 bucks and the only reason it costs more than a HJC for example is cause it has more vents on it. And i just found out in another thread that it's not legal for use in road racing
Old 03-25-2004, 11:03 PM   #24
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

West you can use it for alot of track events, but people that want SA helmets may not allow it. You just have to talk to the event manager or tech chief to see if they will let you use a M helmet for that event. More events allow M helmets than require SA only.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #25
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
I've only been to one track event that allowed M helmets...and they highly recommended SA's. M helmets provide little fire protection and are designed for one impact on the pavement, as opposed to having a fire-proof lining and a design with multiple impacts (head banging on roll cage) in mind like SA's.
However, autocross events allow M helmets.
LanceS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:46 AM   #26
adamhu

adamhu is an unknown quantity at this point
re: the slick comment...just to let you know......

you can transfer enough weight with DOT R's to lift even the front wheel in highspeed high G corners..... i did not know until i saw this picture a buddy of mine took of my car.....

and at this particular part i thought the road was just VERY bumpy...since the steering wheel would really shake....when in reality it was the front wheel hitting back down on the ground ....

www.turbo240sx.ca
adamhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 10:27 AM   #27
nokeone
on strike three.

you don't need Dot R's to do that...it's a rather common occurrence once you stiffen things up....

case in point with tires that are not exactly gripping...lol..

Old 03-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #28
adamhu

adamhu is an unknown quantity at this point
but...this is at high speed.... note the angle of your wheels...you are turning them sharply...in an auto x

the other pic was taken at 140kph..on a slow wide sweeper

www.turbo240sx.ca
adamhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #29
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

I was going to say noke, I even lifted a tire in a FWD car on autox. Adams pict is at speed.

Adam- I sent you a question about Toyo's....you check your email or PM's lately? thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #30
Zemus
Nissanaholic!

Zemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Zemus
Ive seen 2 cars roll at the track, it looked like the saturn, but it dident make it . Rather scary, made me not want to hit up the Highspeed course, kinda creepy
Zemus is offline   Reply With Quote