Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
S13GORG

Trader Rating: (0)
S13GORG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 "S13" Advice Needed.

I'm planning on purchasing an S13 Coupe. My plan for the car is going to be a daily / drift car. I'm planning on making it a RHD, with a KA-T. I'm trying to look for a car that has a Clean Interior, Majority of the Manual S13's or 240's are Stripped, and Gutted. Most of the cars with the Clean Interiors are Automatic. I need your guy's advice, Should I pick up an Automatic S13, Then get the RHD, and Motor Swap, or should I pay more to get a Manual S13 with a Clean Interior. Because no matter what i'm going to get a RHD/Motor Conversion Done. If I switch from Auto to Manual, will I experience any problems since the car wasn't originally a Manual? If you have any suggestions, or know the best solution for my plan, please just reply to my thread. Thanks so much for taking your time to read my thread.

-Mark
S13GORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Kevin920415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kevin920415 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Why you want a RHD?
RHD scene is way gonee..
Why not get a stock shell?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
S13GORG

RHD is the way I wanna go, I don't really care if it's dead, i'm not trying to be like everyone else.
So your saying I should get a RHD S13 Shell?
Because like I said, it would probably take me a really long time to find one with a Good Interior.
I really care about the Interior because I plan on having people in my car when i'm not on the track.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
naw_speed
Leaky Injector

naw_speed is an unknown quantity at this point
really?!.....
i will take time out of my day to help you....
1) save money
2) buy a "running and drivable" 240sx
3) save money
4) buy a full front s13 clip "with motor, dash, and body panels"
5) save money
do you see a pattern erupting here??

you seem more concerned with purchasing a clean unmolested 240sx when your going to gut the damn thing anyway to build your so called rhd dream car.... buy a 240 drive it and enjoy the time it takes to build it. i have over 30k in my 240 and enjoyed every moment of the 7 years it took to get to this point. no it does not matter if you get a auto or manual. very easy to convert.. have fun..
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
camry
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
camry is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13GORG View Post
RHD is the way I wanna go, I don't really care if it's dead, i'm not trying to be like everyone else.
So your saying I should get a RHD S13 Shell?
Because like I said, it would probably take me a really long time to find one with a Good Interior.
I really care about the Interior because I plan on having people in my car when i'm not on the track.
So why bother getting an S13? You're asking for advice and these guys are giving you sound advice but you refuse to listen. Get an s13, drive the way it is. You'll appreciate the upgrades more later on.
camry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Interior parts change easily, so dont worry too much about the interior of the vehicle.

Focus on the chassis. get a clean rust free dent free car.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
S13GORG

Thanks @naw_speed I really appreciate it. You helped me out a lot. I'm probably going to stick with that plan Oh no, I have no plan on gutting it at all. I plan on keeping the interior

@Camry I wasn't trying to be mean or anything? I appreciate the advice he gave me, I was just stating that I wanted mine to be RHD. Sorry if I seemed a little harsh or something @Kevin920415.

@Kingtal0n Wouldn't it be really hard to find interior parts that are in still good condition? And if it was in good condition, wouldn't it be kind of pricey?

Thanks again for replying to my Thread, I really appreciate your replies.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
If you're gonna change it to a RHD, why the hell would the interior matter much? If you're baller enough to do a full RHD conversion, replacing anything else interior wise will be fucking cake. Same shit with converting it from auto to manual. You cant use 240sx LHD pedals if you go RHD. You're gonna have to do the hardest part about the manual swap, pedals.

But I'm gonna play Devils Advocate here, why do you insist on going RHD when it has absolutely no added benefit, specially being in a country where everything is Right Hand Driving oriented? Making U-turns will fucking suck, kiss ATMs and drive thrus good bye...etc.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
df3kt760
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
df3kt760 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
If you're gonna change it to a RHD, why the hell would the interior matter much? If you're baller enough to do a full RHD conversion, replacing anything else interior wise will be fucking cake. Same shit with converting it from auto to manual. You cant use 240sx LHD pedals if you go RHD. You're gonna have to do the hardest part about the manual swap, pedals.

But I'm gonna play Devils Advocate here, why do you insist on going RHD when it has absolutely no added benefit, specially being in a country where everything is Right Hand Driving oriented? Making U-turns will fucking suck, kiss ATMs and drive thrus good bye...etc.
theres a solution to atms and drive thrus you drive in reverse lol
df3kt760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
S13GORG

@fliprayzin240sx the reason why it's important to me is because, it's also going to be my daily as well, i'm going to have people in the car. Yeah, i'm only 19 working $8 an hour. I'm not that baller lol, i'm going to save up for the front clip, and do the RHD and the motor swap at the same time to save money and time. Wouldn't the people who are going to do the conversion do the pedals also? I thought about it throughly already, it's something i've been wanting do for a really long time. I'm willing to go through all the trouble to have a RHD car. I really appreciate your concern tho, but i guess if it ever does fail that i hate driving RHD, it will be on me, thanks for the warning

@df3kt760 LOL, that sound's pretty boss if you ask me. Imagine seeing that shit?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i have a friend doing a RHD swap on a convertible, he cut the firewall from his front clip, and the convertible, and welded the RHD firewall in…

Don't know if you have to do it this way, or if its easier.

But definitely going to take a lot of saving, and a lot of not driving the car for a good while at the wages you're making.
Unless you're sponsored by mom and pa
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
soo, your interior will most likely get somewhat fucked in the process
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
dil han
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
dil han is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
buy a clean shell inside and out with a blown motor (probably cheap), gut the front from front seats to head lights, do the the conversion and start piecing the rhd interior together such as door panels, carpet, wiring....

swap your motor in and drive it.
dil han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews

RHD. That money could do soooooo much more for your S13...
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
memphis180sx
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
memphis180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
your gunna be spending every penny you make on a s13 and your only 19 wouldnt school be more important ? But 240s in general are the biggest pieces of junk to daily they rattle even when the car hasnt been messed with then you add coils and suspension those rattles will never go away ive had about five of them loved them for a weekend/track car but that was it. trust me i tried to daily drive mine and it didnt work full interior an everything. if i were you i would be getting like a civic or something along those lines there realiable and insurence isn't bad at all. Im not trying to tell you what to do but i dont want you regret ever making a 240 a daily. i had the money to daily drive mine but my 2011 gmc serria is a little more comfy lol.
memphis180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #16
240sxDavid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
240sxDavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Might as well move to japan bro
240sxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
myKAl
Zilvia Member

myKAl is an unknown quantity at this point
depending on the shell, some are bare, some are straight up no trans no motor, obviously go for the powerless shell, sohc, doubt itll matter since it has no motor but if it does it might be cheaper just because it housed a single cam.

buy rhd clip and swap, if youre baller youll buy one with a motor

OR

buy single cam then buy rhd clip
myKAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #18
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
obviously he's not balling (no offense) but rhd clips are $2500+
and you still have to buy the car and find someone that you have to pay alot of money to cut and weld everything.
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Thanks @naw_speed I really appreciate it. You helped me out a lot. I'm probably going to stick with that plan Oh no, I have no plan on gutting it at all. I plan on keeping the interior

@Camry I wasn't trying to be mean or anything? I appreciate the advice he gave me, I was just stating that I wanted mine to be RHD. Sorry if I seemed a little harsh or something @Kevin920415.
Two things come to mind.

Is this going to be a serious track car build? I remember I use to be like you and want to keep my interior...until I got serious about weight shedding. Probably a bad choice on my part to do it on a hatchback as well I had a second 240sx a year later for daily and smog check reasons, because daily track car got tiresome after a few weeks. That and tired of going really slow on dips.

I borrowed a car that was RHD...I remembered people warning about driving in the U.S. with RHD, you have no idea how badly bind and how RHD unfriendly it gets, especially living in L.A. with all those yield left turns. Few too many close calls to IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
xh3nry
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
xh3nry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
My advice would be to make sure you have an alternative transportation. With doing RHD and working on your s13... there's going to be a lot of down time. Also i wouldn't recommend doing a KA-T build, with the amount of attention you will be getting from people, you will be getting from the police. If they can't ding you for your RHD conversion, then they will get you for something else (Illegal motor mods, being too low, modified exhaust... etc). So what i'm trying to say is if you want to go RHD you should make the rest of your car as stock as possible to balance out the fact that you're on the wrong side of the car. I do support your dreams though, just know that it will take months to get your car where you want it.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
KoukiFc90
Leaky Injector

KoukiFc90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just buy a running S13. Save your money for future upgrades/plans. You dont want to buy a running S13 then just have it parked in your garage or whatever for who knows how long. Why waste a good car having it parked instead of driving it daily ?
Bottom line, keep daily and save money.
KoukiFc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
xh3nry
Zilvia Junkie

1. Buy a decently clean body, running car. ($1500-$2000)
*Just get a 5 speed so that you won't have to buy another tranny later*

2. Buy a tool box if you don't already have one (Craftmans at Sears come with a life time warranty and you are paying for quality tools.) ($300)

3. Buy a RHD clip (mainly just need the firewall) with all the neccesary parts. ($175-$500)

4. Do a compression check on your engine and just test and feel if it's still good.
*If it's all good then you won't have to rebuild your engine, but if somethings off, might as well replace it while the engines already out.*

5. Gather all your buddies and look up guides and pull your engine out, and everything out of the way to reduce the cost and work for your welder. Buy a cherry picker to do this ($45-$100 off craigslist)

6. Hire a RHD welder to convert it for you ($700-$1200)

And now after months of work and not being able to drive your car... it's finally done.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
davirene
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
davirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
i have a friend doing a RHD swap on a convertible, he cut the firewall from his front clip, and the convertible, and welded the RHD firewall in…

Don't know if you have to do it this way, or if its easier.
Yes it is better to cut the whole firewall end to end and weld it in.....I was looking at a conversion and the guy just cut holes for the pedals.....well the whole wall would flex because the right side isnt reinforced for the pedals and he had all these rust marks from the original holes that were partially filled in.

Looked like crap.....and the guy was trying to trade back for a LHD drive because the cops kept harassing him.

To each his own......You need to buy a daily and a project car to make your life easier.....so good luck.
davirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
S13GORG

Thanks everyone for you feedback and everything All of your advice really helped me out a lot. A guy on Zilvia informed me that, If I did get a Clean Title S13, And I converted it to RHD and registered it at the DMV as a RHD car, That they will change the title from Clean to Salvage is that True? Because if that is what's going to happen, I'm just going to look for a Salvaged Title Car to buy.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
S13GORG

I'm going to upload a picture of how I want the interior to look like.
S13GORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
S13GORG

Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
KoukiFc90
Leaky Injector

KoukiFc90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Wait, its not RHD. See, you can have a clean looking car. I would personally rather do this instead of wasting a whole bunch of cash on a RHD.
KoukiFc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
xh3nry
Zilvia Junkie

That's a super clean interior. If you get caught with unmatching vin numbers on your door jams, dash, and engine bay, your car is automatically salvaged.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #29
naw_speed
Leaky Injector

naw_speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by xh3nry View Post
That's a super clean interior. If you get caught with unmatching vin numbers on your door jams, dash, and engine bay, your car is automatically salvaged.
correct! even in the state of TX it is the same.

and love the pic of someone else interor. way to shot for the moon.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
19 yr old making $8 an hour, living in socal, with his priorities all kinds of fucked up. This car will have the potential for greatness!!!

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote