Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
rastamon

Trader Rating: (0)
rastamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S2 RB25 problems

Started up and has been running about a month now but never running right. It cranks, idles, and runs good if your goal is fuel economy. Trying to accelerate to fast causes coughing, missfires, and backfire problem, mostly 3rd gear and higher. Best way to explain how much trying to accelerate causes the problem I would say is about 30% pedal. Have no major mods and stock boost. Started off going from NGK BKR5ES-11's to BKR6ES and coating my coils with liquid tape. Ive ran Lucas injector cleaner multiple times. I wasn't to confident in the OEM alternator so I did a switch to the Quest 125Amp. So the finale is today I gaped the BKR6ES's down to .80mm and it will crank but feathering the gas pedal is necessary to keep it running.
rastamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
maybe a bad maf of tps? you you have an intake, exhaust or anything like that? and are you still running the stock ecu?
AS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
BigPawr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
BigPawr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is pretty much a problem that has existed since people started swapping RB25s. I had this issue 5-6 years ago with my S2 RB25 swapped S14. I never resolved the issue and sold the car (not becuase of the issue). I've read over a million threads on people with this issue. People say plugs, maf, coils, timing, stock ecu doing things, etc... There really is no anwser I've ever read to resolve this. People will swap out their mafs, coils, plugs, etc and randomly every now and then one of those things will "solve" the problem. I have never read a detailed consistent answer to this problem. Really your only choice is to go EMS, or maybe aftermarket coils as thats what most people lean towards thinking the issue is.

And just to show you how notorious the problem is, thread for exact same issue started recently on 2/14/12 http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/4357...-research.html

He said a maf solved his issue. But I have a hard time believing this problem exists so wide spread among people and its bad mafs.
BigPawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
get some NGK 7's coppers, gap them down .028inch.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote