Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
Tricky1980
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Tricky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tricky1980
my first autocross

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok enough of that.. i finally got to participate in an autox session and it was awesome.!!! i went from a 91 my first run which beat some of the stock miata's i was kinda proud.. they bumped me to ep class because of a carbon fiber hood.. that kinda bummed me out so i had to go against a crx with a b16 in it.. i lost to him by .014 seconds so yea.. my best run was a 89.834 i think.. so i DID get better we had 5 runs..

Now, my biggest problem was at one hairpin... my car just kinda stubbed ahead and didnt grab.. i have agx shox i tried the hardest but backed it down to 3 and that seemed to work a little better... if i had some REAL tires would that solve the problem or is it something else? ill have the rest of the times posted whenever they throw them online.. YAY!!!!!
JaY
Tricky1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What you experienced was understeer.

Things you could've done to help, in order of increasing difficulty:

Set the rear dampers harder than the front. Not only will this keep the rear more level, but it'll transfer more weight to the front whenever the suspension moves (cornering, braking).

Come into the hairpin even slower. Hairpins are slow corners, don't be afraid to just throw them out and putt through as a beginner.

Trailbrake/left foot brake. This transfers weight to the front and will allow the car to rotate more quickly. Doing this too aggressively can spin the car.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
the 240 likes very smooth steering inputs.. if you find your understeering into a corner, make your turn in smoother. I can usually get the front end to stick much better this way.

remember, if your understeering, turning the wheel more will only make you understeer more.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
jmauld
Zilvia Junkie

jmauld is making a name for him/her selfjmauld is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jmauld
Since this was your first autcross, I'm going to guess that you were just overdriving the front end. Next time it does this, slow down on your next run.

It's actually quite hard to have the patience to drive the slow sections as slow as they need to be driven.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
Tricky1980
Zilvia Member

Tricky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tricky1980
here are the times for everyone there.. i think i did ok for being my first time.. im WAY at the bottom..

http://www.sccagrr.com/event_results...3_event_6.html

JaY
Tricky1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally posted by Tricky1980
here are the times for everyone there.. i think i did ok for being my first time.. im WAY at the bottom..

http://www.sccagrr.com/event_results...3_event_6.html

JaY
not bad! at least you can say you were the 3rd fastest Novice. PAX is what hurt you, being in a Novice class.