Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Rebuilt S13 KA in S14, no start

Hello fellow 240sxers..

I recently swapped my rebuilt S13 KA into my spare S14 shell and it is not starting.

Now some history on the shell:
I purchased it maybe 10-12months ago and let it sit for a bit.. got a little lazy, no biggie. Car didn't run with the motor in it before, come to find out it has bad compression. OK, took motor out and left it sitting again for a bit.

Fast forward to past two weeks:
I drop in my rebuilt S13 KA (CP, .020 over) along with the S14 intake mani. Blocked off EGR and capped off PCV.
Hooked most things up minus the O2 sensor(s), MAFS, and air temp sensor.

Tried starting and the motor just cranks, but no start.

Troubleshooting:
Checked for spark = OK
Checked for fuel @ rail = OK
Checked for fuel @ injectors = OK
Checked for injector clicking when dizzy turns = OK
Checked for compression = 120 all across. Low, but I reckon this is from the lower compression pistons and overbore.
Checked for timing @ dizzy = OK, three times.
Checked for timing w/ timing light = OK
Grounds from engine compartment = OK
Checked for bad fuel = OK, flushed the system with around 10gals of 87 octane fuel. Yellow gas at first, now it's less yellowy..

Now, all I have left is the mechanical timing, which would not be difficult to do since all I'd have to do is check from the cams.. but I did not do this yet.

Before I go out and check this, I was hoping some of you guys with more knowledge than me can chime in and give me some opinions.

Thank you

Last edited by babowc; 05-12-2010 at 09:07 PM..
babowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Or should the compression test yield HIGHER result since I have more air in the chamber?..
Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
babowc
Post Whore!

My dizzy timing was off 180, so i flipped it around back to normal and still no fire..
could it be that my ignition switch may be out?

when I turn the key to crank, there's nothing, so I figured the switch was bad and improvised by jumping the starter by extending the wire and touching the positive battery cable whenever I needed the thing to turn.. I mean, everything still works though..
Old 05-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
project-D180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
project-D180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sounds like timin ould b off a tooth or so
project-D180 is offline   Reply With Quote