Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
S13 SR just upgraded to gt28rs and wont hold boost need help

So i recently installed a new exhaust manifold and a GT28RS. Everything else is stock except front mount and exhaust. When i drove the car it boosts to 16 psi and then cuts fuel at around 4k-4.5k rpm. I looked online and I believe the stock actuator is supposed to be 6psi. I now put in a boost controller(greddy e-01) and it still doesn't hold boost if i set it for 10psi or anything. It does exactly the same thing and I cannot go past 4.5k rpm unless i barely give it gas so its not going into boost. Can someone help me figure out why its overboosting and wont let me set a lower boost?
Nissan2nr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan2nr22 View Post
So i recently installed a new exhaust manifold and a GT28RS. Everything else is stock except front mount and exhaust. When i drove the car it boosts to 16 psi and then cuts fuel at around 4k-4.5k rpm. I looked online and I believe the stock actuator is supposed to be 6psi. I now put in a boost controller(greddy e-01) and it still doesn't hold boost if i set it for 10psi or anything. It does exactly the same thing and I cannot go past 4.5k rpm unless i barely give it gas so its not going into boost. Can someone help me figure out why its overboosting and wont let me set a lower boost?
Are you on stock MAF?

Also, you probably have the wastegate and/or boost controller lines hooked up wrong.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Are you on stock MAF?

Also, you probably have the wastegate and/or boost controller lines hooked up wrong.
Yeah stock maf, and i had it wastegate to intake manifold and it did exactly what its doing now with boost controller and i know its hooked up correct i've had it on before with the t-25 and it worked perfect.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
obsolete
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
obsolete is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Shouldn't it be wastegate to hotpipe/comp outlet?
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
What injectors are you running? Also search for a thread I created about Profec boost controllers, will tell you how it works....
Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Yeah stock maf, and i had it wastegate to intake manifold and it did exactly what its doing now with boost controller and i know its hooked up correct i've had it on before with the t-25 and it worked perfect.

Wrong. It is wastegate to hotpipe. You may have torn the diaphragm on the wastegate actuator by exposing it to vacuum.

IIRC, someone else has had this happen....the diaphragm is not meant to be exposed to vacuum (seen in intake manifold).

The wastegate acutator should be hooked up only to a boost source (hotpipe or compressor outlet).

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Oh ok i got it, yeah i guess now that i dont have the outlet and inlet pieces i have couplers instead. I dont have an outlet for the wastegate hose. What should i buy to fix this problem?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
the turbo doesn't have a nipple on the compressor housing that looks like a hose goes to it?

normally that goes straight to the wastegate, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
you can also source boost from TB. the nipple on the bottom is before the TB plate. so it will only see boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
If you had just the actuator hooked up and it was hitting 16 psi, then the actuator is either adjusted too tightly or its fucked up. Get an air compressor and try to see how many psi it takes for it the actuator to open up.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Did someone miss this? He is on stock MAF.

Let's address the stock maf issue first before he blows his motor by going lean.

It sounds like you need...

1. Z32 MAF
2. Boost controller hooked up right
3. Tune
renegade_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
obsolete
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
obsolete is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
yea but you could still boost 7psi with stock maf. his wastegate is hooked up wrong as stated above. if you just have a coupler, you could buy or fab something like the frsport quicktap.

Turbo Quick Tap Fitting for Boost Source
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
the turbo doesn't have a nipple on the compressor housing that looks like a hose goes to it?

normally that goes straight to the wastegate, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
yes, but not all turbos have this nipple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade_ewok View Post
Did someone miss this? He is on stock MAF.

Let's address the stock maf issue first before he blows his motor by going lean.

It sounds like you need...

1. Z32 MAF
2. Boost controller hooked up right
3. Tune
was waiting for that lol. but yes it will be fine for 7 psi.

get ur boost controller hooked up correct(or just your wastegate for that matter) Test actuator via compressor as i too have heard vacuum fucks the diaphram.

then get back to us.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Found the problem thanks everyone. Yeah i just need to use the quicktap thing to have a nipple on the coupler on my hotpipe. I had it running wastegate to the intake manifold which is wrong. I'm definitely upgrading injectors, maf, and tune very soon i just wanted it to run on stock boost for a little so I can get the funds right.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
kikcaffine
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kikcaffine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Found the problem thanks everyone. Yeah i just need to use the quicktap thing to have a nipple on the coupler on my hotpipe. I had it running wastegate to the intake manifold which is wrong. I'm definitely upgrading injectors, maf, and tune very soon i just wanted it to run on stock boost for a little so I can get the funds right.

I thought the 28rs came with an adjustable w/g? Couldnt afford injectors but bought an e-01? Priorities my friend, priorities.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Ok so i got the quick tap and installed it and the boost controller reads perfect and everything. It still overboosts but not as bad. I'm pretty sure the diaphragm in the wastegate is messed up so i ordered a new stock actuator. Hopefully after all this I can run at 7psi and then save up for z32 maf, injectors, and a tune. Thanks everyone.