Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
southjrz240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
southjrz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Guage cluster does not work please HELP****

So i am about to loose my sh*t over this. Anyways i just swapped a sr20 from another 240 c i had that had rust problems into a rust free shell i have. Anyways, the car runs perfectly but for some reason i can't any readings to the guage cluster. I wired it exactly like frsport.com and i get nothing! the guage cluster time and the headlight function will work but i get nothing to the speedo, tach, fuel... NOTHING. I checked all fuses, i volt tested everything and straight from the ecu i'm not even getting any signal from anything other then AC Signal and speedo Signal. 4 volts from ac signal and 7.5 from speedo. At this point i don't know if my ecu is crap or their is a bad ground somewhere. I tested power from the alternator and 14-15 volts there. I tested my ground wires to the motor and they are are all good as well. The only thing differant from the car i swapped is the car i just put the motor in is a SE 91. One thing i noticed by the end of the harness closest to the ecu was what i think is ground wires but they are wrapped differantly then the harness from the original car (Pics below). I have tried a diff cluster and cluster harness as well. I have unplugged and re-plugged everything. i don't know what to do. i don't understand how such a smooth swap has gone wrong. i am loosing my mind and cannot drive this car w/o this cluster incase something is wrong that i don't know of. At this point i just want to drop it off at a shop and let them take over. Any good shops in Jersey?
pics:

southjrz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
Fonix36
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Fonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fonix36 Send a message via Yahoo to Fonix36
did you figure it out i have the exact same problem on my single cam

DRiFT 4 A Cure!
Fonix36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
tommyboi

Trader Rating: (5)
tommyboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
try swapping ecu's with a buddy, it might be your ecu if your wiring is correct. Thats what i ended up doing after buying two clusters.
tommyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
drftthatshit
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
drftthatshit is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a cluster can go out at anytime try just getting a new cluster if you did your wireing the same and it doesnt work new cluster time
drftthatshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Token240

Trader Rating: (0)
Token240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If the car was a SOHC before, it won't read the DOHC signal. Your speedometer, temp, and fuel will work but the tach won't.
Token240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Fonix36
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Fonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fonix36 Send a message via Yahoo to Fonix36
okay i changed my ecu and the cluster i tryed to mix match and everything. and it still doent work however today i filled up the tank and for the first time my tac started to jump but not work completely right it lags and stuff so im realy confused

DRiFT 4 A Cure!
Fonix36 is offline   Reply With Quote