Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Carburetor thread

I realize that not many people have carburetors, but if you have questions or comments, feel free to add to this thread.

Please don't turn this thread into a carb vs. fuel injection argument. Each has their own merits and if you dislike carbs, this thread is not for you. I personally prefer carbs for cost and ease of tuning, but that's a different discussion.

Good primer on how carbs work in general and how to tune most Edelbrock carbs: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

Some of my thoughts:

For a street car, Edelbrock seems to be the best choice because they're tuned pretty good from the factory. Holleys may be better for WOT performance, but for normal street use Holleys can be a bit rougher than Edelbrocks.

Plus Edelbrocks have separate cruise and power modes and each is tunable independent of the other. It's like having VTEC kick in if you nail the gas

Upsides to Holley is that they do make more power when you run flat out, and the design is easier to rejet (built for the track), but running at anything less than 3/4 throttle you would probably want something else with smoother operation for daily use.

I don't have much experience outside of these two brands simply because they work so well and I don't have to look anywhere else. If someone has some thoughts on these or any other brand feel free to add.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links