Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-11-2002, 10:41 AM   #1
cmathews
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
cmathews is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, I am back after an extended period of time. (no broadband, then crashed computer)

It is good to be back.

First, Does anyone know if a helical type LSD from an s15 will fit in an s13?

Second, with all this discussion about LSD's, I checked out www.howstuffworks.com and found that they have an excellent description on differentials including animations which simplify the process.

Check out:
www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

ADD:
I just found out that a helical LSD is the same as a Torsen LSD, Torsen being a name brand.

Here are some cool pics of LSD's http://www.marklines.com/en/presen/tochigifuji.jsp

cmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Some problems I can see:
The S15 uses 5-bolt output shafts (like a 300ZX or early J30).  The 240SX uses 6-bolt output shafts.  You might be able to use your open diff output shafts, you might be able to use VLSD output shafts, I don't know.

The S15 diff carrier mounts to the subframe via bushings (again like a 300ZX, J30, S14).  Same issue/fix as any of those diffs in an S13 chassis, you'd need to replace the front bushings with something solid and swap rear covers.

The S15 diff carrier has an ABS sensor (like J30, S14).  Might be a problem, might not, depends on how much play you have in your driveshaft.

Lastly, it has a ratio ca. 3.7:1... it's gonna toss off your speedometer and slow you down.

Of course you could get the helical diff itself and install it in an S13 carrier with your stock gears eliminating all the problems except the output shaft issue.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
cmathews
Leaky Injector

OK, I found an LSD. But this one comes without the case. Does that mean that all I need is to reuse my case/outputshafts/etc. to make it work.

The owner says that it is out of a JDM 93 Silvia K, s14 chassis. I think that it has to be an s13, but would like other input.

Thanks,

Chuck

here is a link to the picture of the part:

http://www.valley.ne.jp/~sirogane/1573b.jpg
Old 11-11-2002, 12:15 PM   #4
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cmathews @ Nov. 11 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK, I found an LSD. But this one comes without the case. Does that mean that all I need is to reuse my case/outputshafts/etc. to make it work.

The owner says that it is out of a JDM 93 Silvia K, s14 chassis. I think that it has to be an s13, but would like other input.

Thanks,

Chuck

here is a link to the picture of the part:

http://www.valley.ne.jp/~sirogane/1573b.jpg</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
yes it should bolt in. &nbsp;the carrier doesnt matter it'll fit into any of the R200 pumpkins. &nbsp;the pumpkins are all a little different but will all work cross chassis. &nbsp;I have my LSD in an S13 pumpkin in my S14. &nbsp;swapped rear covers and was golden. &nbsp;but yes the S15 helical carrier is swapable into the S13 pumpkin. &nbsp;swomeone in Atlanta I know is going to do just that
Old 11-11-2002, 12:26 PM   #5
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's a viscous LSD, just so you know.

It will fit in your pumpkin. &nbsp;You can't use your output shafts, however. &nbsp;You need VLSD output shafts.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:15 PM   #6
cmathews
Leaky Injector

So, I think I have this worked out now.

1. the picture shows just the carrier
2. the case is the pumpkin, and I have the one I need already on the car.
3. the output shafts needed are neither pictured with the new lsd, or already included with the non-lsd diff, so I will need to purchase new output shafts from nissan.

If I am wrong, please correct me. If I am right, this is pretty simple and I will soon be sporting a slightly used viscus lsd, rather than the helical lsd from the s15 that I found. It is not appropriate for my purpose (light autocross, must be driveable in snow-- see reference to www.howstuffworks.com).

Thanks,

Chuck