Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
How to tell if I have a S14 SR block?

Well Im in the final stages of getting everything ready to put my redtop in. After some confusion I found out that my motor uses the S14 oil filters. Now I know the oil housing unit could have been swapped out, but is there a way to make sure?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
luisgonz
BANNED

luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to luisgonz
Just check the water pump that is being used on the motor, Just search photos of a s14 water pump and s13 and you will see the difference.
luisgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
jskateborders
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
jskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jskateborders
If the oil housing was replaced there is a chance that they replaced the water pump too
Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgonz View Post
Just check the water pump that is being used on the motor, Just search photos of a s14 water pump and s13 and you will see the difference.
Bingo ^ Oil Pumps different too but water pumps easier to tell apart
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
luisgonz
BANNED

luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Bingo ^ Oil Pumps different too but water pumps easier to tell apart
Do I get a cookie for being right.LOL
Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgonz View Post
Do I get a cookie for being right.LOL

1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
dont look at the water pump. thats something that is commonly swapped over (alot of s13 sr guys will use an s14 sr water pump. no mods needed.)

take off the lower oil pan (the black part of it.) Check what oil pickup you have. Unless the engine has a full on build...99% of guys dont replace the pickup with the "better" s14 oil pickup.

S14 SR oil pickup. The S13 SR one doesn't have such a large opening on the bottom of it.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
dont look at the water pump. thats something that is commonly swapped over (alot of s13 sr guys will use an s14 sr water pump. no mods needed.)

take off the lower oil pan (the black part of it.) Check what oil pickup you have. Unless the engine has a full on build...99% of guys dont replace the pickup with the "better" s14 oil pickup.

S14 SR oil pickup. The S13 SR one doesn't have such a large opening on the bottom of it.
I dont think S14 water pumps bolt up to S13's but even if it does there will be an extra bolt hole on the water pump

But why would ppl swapp an S14 water pump on an S13 SR? there is no advantage.

Identifing the water pump is more than enough to find out.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Kinda off topic but can you install a s14 sr head on a s13? (Im guessing you can since you can have a S14 block on a redtop) If so what advantages would it have over the s13 one?

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Quote:
I dont think S14 water pumps bolt up to S13's but even if it does there will be an extra bolt hole on the water pump

But why would ppl swapp an S14 water pump on an S13 SR? there is no advantage.

Identifing the water pump is more than enough to find out.
s14 pumps bolt right up to an s13. ive done it when building others engines. i never looked into it too deeply... but lots of guys do it.

order a water pump for an s13 sr off enjuku... they'll send you an s14 sr water pump.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Really? I could have sworn that the extra bolt hole on the S14 water pump got in the way, and the housing was longer or somthing, cuz one of my friends tried one on his 13 SR and it didnt line up.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
luisgonz
BANNED

Quote:
s14 pumps bolt right up to an s13. ive done it when building others engines. i never looked into it too deeply... but lots of guys do it.

order a water pump for an s13 sr off enjuku... they'll send you an s14 sr water pump.
This is true. THanks for making it clear. Haha

Quote:
Really? I could have sworn that the extra bolt hole on the S14 water pump got in the way, and the housing was longer or somthing, cuz one of my friends tried one on his 13 SR and it didnt line up.
Where is my cookie. Hahaha LOL
Old 04-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
redtop91
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
redtop91 is making a name for him/her selfredtop91 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Yeah there is a rumor that it's better than the S13 pump. I've never seen any hard data confirming it though. The water pump is the most reliable way outside of you maybe having the VIN plate and access to FAST?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
WilloW
Zilvia FREAK!

WilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to WilloW Send a message via Yahoo to WilloW
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop91 View Post
Yeah there is a rumor that it's better than the S13 pump. I've never seen any hard data confirming it though. The water pump is the most reliable way outside of you maybe having the VIN plate and access to FAST?
From what I've read in the past, the S13 SR water pump has a cavitation issue at higher RPM, and the S14 SR water pump is the fix for this problem.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
redtop91
Leaky Injector

redtop91 is making a name for him/her selfredtop91 is making a name for him/her self
Yeah that was it. I couldn't remember exactly how they stacked up. I'd like to see some first hand experience on it before I go buy an S14 pump specifically to address that though. I'm cheap like that
Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
sblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
the hose from the valve cover (turbo side) that goes to the side near the back of the engine.
Is straight on a s13 sr on a s14 sr its L shaped.

Sorry best way I could describe it haha.
sblack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
silentstyle1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
silentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nicesilentstyle1 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silentstyle1
If i remember correctly the s14 block has what looks like a heat sink on it and the s13 one doesn't, it should be right under the valve cover, it will look like a few lines going up and down, on the upper lefthand side of the block.

Dont quote me on that one but i think that is one of the distinguishing factors
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Nice to know I've got a 30k VA transformer all to myself with 100A 3-phase if I want to start building Cybertron or something in here.
silentstyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop91 View Post
No, its not the most reliable way to tell what kind of block it is. the oil pick up is, and its super easy to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack13 View Post
the hose from the valve cover (turbo side) that goes to the side near the back of the engine.
Is straight on a s13 sr on a s14 sr its L shaped.

Sorry best way I could describe it haha.
He's trying to figure out what block it is, so right off the bat, so anything on the top end is useless. He mentioned it was a redtop, so it wouldn't have a s14 valve cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstyle1 View Post
If i remember correctly the s14 block has what looks like a heat sink on it and the s13 one doesn't, it should be right under the valve cover, it will look like a few lines going up and down, on the upper lefthand side of the block.

Dont quote me on that one but i think that is one of the distinguishing factors
This is not a casting on the block, but only on the head. And even 93 SR red tops have the fins on the front of the casting.

OP: post a (good) picture of your swap.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

sblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud of
no i'm talking about on the block
Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

look on the block on the right
This is a S14 SR

s13 does'nt have the bend.

Don't mind the hole haha.

Don't let friends drive your cars!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #21
redtop91
Leaky Injector

Quote:
No, its not the most reliable way to tell what kind of block it is. the oil pick up is, and its super easy to get to.
To-may-to

To-mah-to

The water pump is easier IMO and it's not likely that someone swapped out the pump, and if they did it's fairly simple to see. Removing the pan and looking at the pickup is way more work IMO. To each their own though.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #22
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Does it say on the block 52F or 65F? If it says 65F you most likely have a 14/15 block.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #23
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack13 View Post
look on the block on the right
This is a S14 SR

s13 does'nt have the bend.

Don't mind the hole haha.

Don't let friends drive your cars!
ah ok, good call.