Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
sr20 driver
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
sr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
boost without anything connected to the wg?

hey fellas was crackin-lackin anyways hears my question how much psi am i boosting on a stock sr when i have nothing hooked up to my waste gate with a front mount? and i have a stock fuel pump so if the boost is more than stock what can happend?
sr20 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
You go buy a new engine...how about that?

Not running a line to the wastegate so it doesnt open at 7 psi like its supposed to, thats a great idea. God knows when it opens, another great idea. Not adding any fuel to the unknown amount of air going into the engine, and all this on stock 240sx fuel pump...absolutely classic...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
sr20 driver
Leaky Injector

sr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choicessr20 driver has made poor choices
well can someone who knows the answer pls answer not someone who knows that god knows answer the question cuz a dumbass knows that god knows what can happend
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Umm I'm no english major but I believe what he said in all that was DO NOT USE THE WASTEGATE WITHOUT A VACUUM SOURCE!
duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
nicku
Zilvia Junkie

nicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enoughnicku will become famous soon enough
its an very easy answer.
If nothing hooks up to your wastegate, that means your wastegate is always close. And you will keep boosting up with no limit until your engine gets fucked up. And then you will be looking at new engine or some parts of the engine. and then you will go check my for sale thread and buy my parts.
nicku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Yeah.

My boost gauge said "New engine" PSI!111! tyte.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

TURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20 driver View Post
hey fellas was crackin-lackin anyways hears my question how much psi am i boosting on a stock sr when i have nothing hooked up to my waste gate with a front mount? and i have a stock fuel pump so if the boost is more than stock what can happend?
Please do your research before posting a stupid question like this one. how hard is to T fit a 3' vacuum line to the wasted gate. Where do you get your information man you need to star looking for another source.
TURBOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Quote:
well can someone who knows the answer pls answer not someone who knows that god knows answer the question cuz a dumbass knows that god knows what can happend
Its your car, not mine, you dont have a boost gauge...SO WHO THE FUCK KNOWS HOW MUCH YOUR BOOSTING??? All i know is its the fastest way to blow a turbo and an engine. For your sake, i hope you just blow a turbo. Anything after 14 PSI, your turbo is pass effieciency and is throwing hot air into your engine. Now since your engine isnt tuned for anything more than 7 PSI, its running lean. Throw the "god knows" how much boost your running since your stupid enough to pull this stunt...hopefully your not still driving it because your definitely melting some pistons.

That simple enough?

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
sr20 driver
Leaky Injector

yea thats a little better thanx. anyways what happend is the motor started smokin hella bad and know i got no compression in one cylinder and some kind of knock
Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
No compression in cylinder 3, most likely, because of a blown ring land, most likely. I tested my T25 back in the day with no wastegate vacuum (accidentally, forgot to hook it back up once), and at about 1/3 throttle and 4k rpm, boost was around 20psi. That's when I shut it down and figured out what the problem is. I can't imagine what that did to your turbo if you floored it.

It's for sure that you need an engine rebuild though. Probably a new turbo as well.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
so if the boost is more than stock what can happend?
you answered your own question

Quote:
the motor started smokin hella bad and know i got no compression in one cylinder and some kind of knock
Sounds Like a spun rod bearing and what GSXRJJordan said
Why would you run no Vac. line to the W/G

Im sorry dude but your a perfect example on why noobs dont need to drive turbo'd cars.
Although the machine shops and parts dealers love you
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
My wastegate crapped out on me and right now I have it unplugged. I'm basically staying out of boost completely until I get a new wastegate. I would suggest the same to anyone who chooses to run without it connected.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
My wastegate crapped out on me and right now I have it unplugged. I'm basically staying out of boost completely until I get a new wastegate. I would suggest the same to anyone who chooses to run without it connected.
I would probably unhook the the Waste Gate from the flapper valve
sure you'll have almost no boost but its safer than tryin not to hit boost
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Your foot is your boost controller at the moment. Be sure to get into 5th gear and do a long highway pull... foot to the floor for best results.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, seems I was too late. Your motor is already blown.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
sr20 driver
Leaky Injector

T25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
No compression in cylinder 3, most likely, because of a blown ring land, most likely. I tested my T25 back in the day with no wastegate vacuum (accidentally, forgot to hook it back up once), and at about 1/3 throttle and 4k rpm, boost was around 20psi. That's when I shut it down and figured out what the problem is. I can't imagine what that did to your turbo if you floored it.

It's for sure that you need an engine rebuild though. Probably a new turbo as well.

T25 boosting 20lbs never heard of that. but anyways do you think its the same cyllinder thats has no comprerssion is making the knocking?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
sr20 driver
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
you answered your own question

Sounds Like a spun rod bearing and what GSXRJJordan said
Why would you run no Vac. line to the W/G

Im sorry dude but your a perfect example on why noobs dont need to drive turbo'd cars.
Although the machine shops and parts dealers love you

n**** you started some day to so shut up we all make mistakes
Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
It doesn't matter where the knocking comes from. Knocking means you've probably got a spun bearing, and low/no compression usually means a blown/burned piston. You have to take that motor apart and rebuild it.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 04-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #18
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
We don't use those terms around here. Pink for 2 wks.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #19
wvustud2003
Leaky Injector

wvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to wvustud2003
simply wow....... hey guys if i take a spark plug out of my motor just so it sounds like a wrx will i hurt my motor?

****yes this is sarcasm*****
wvustud2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

^^^ sadly enough, you fail at sarcasm too. Taking out a spark plug will get fuel (and possibly some oil) all over your valve cover, but doesn't hurt anything.

AJ please end this thread... pleaaaase.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #21
wvustud2003
Leaky Injector

wvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the roughwvustud2003 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
^^^ sadly enough, you fail at sarcasm too. Taking out a spark plug will get fuel (and possibly some oil) all over your valve cover, but doesn't hurt anything.

AJ please end this thread... pleaaaase.
actuallywhen spark plug number 3 didn't work it did sound like an ej20. and also no spark plug would also mean raw fuel being injected into the cylinder and last i checked raw fuel doesn't act as a very good lubricant
Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvustud2003 View Post
actuallywhen spark plug number 3 didn't work it did sound like an ej20. and also no spark plug would also mean raw fuel being injected into the cylinder and last i checked raw fuel doesn't act as a very good lubricant
What kind of fuel is normally injected then?
Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
wvustud2003
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
What kind of fuel is normally injected then?
as in no spark to ignite it. so you'd be spraying raw fuel into a cylinder with nothing to spark it. over time i can't imagine that being very good
Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

^^^ I'll paypal you $1 if you drive around all day with one of your coilpack unplugged.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #25
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yes i did start one day, but Im still on my first SR I didnt just do the minimum and half ass everything.

I did my research I sourced all the common SR problems and replaced/upgraded them, Im talkin FSM's and Zilvia I searched this Site for 6 months while I built my engine in my living room and learned from everyone elses mistakes. I ran every line and plugged everything in the way it should go, If I had a question on somthin I looked it up.

I didnt crank my engine until I was sure I had everything the way it should go, which was done on the first day and DD on day 2.

But then again I was able to personally pull and bring my SR back with me from Okinawa, So I was able to take pics of where everything went to and marked everything's location.

All im saying is you didnt do your research.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #26
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvustud2003 View Post
as in no spark to ignite it. so you'd be spraying raw fuel into a cylinder with nothing to spark it. over time i can't imagine that being very good
No its not good, Its call Cylinder Wash, fuel washes oil off the cylinder walls and causes the rings to scrape the Cylinder Walls with out lubrication which kills the piston rings = Loss of Compression
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Old 04-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
No its not good, Its call Cylinder Wash, fuel washes oil off the cylinder walls and causes the rings to scrape the Cylinder Walls with out lubrication which kills the piston rings = Loss of Compression
and then it dilutes the oil in the oil pan, and over time complete loss of lubrication and you spin a bearing... or two.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #28
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Lol good point on the cylinder wash.

On a more "my IQ is over 80" point, who doesn't know what a motor sounds/feels like on 3 cylinders? Who would actually drive said motor on 3 cylinders to the point where it spun a bearing? Not saying that Bardabe's not the man when it comes to motors and all, but that's a pretty far-off reason to need a rebuild.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #29
Signum Temporis
Leaky Injector

Signum Temporis is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to Signum Temporis
Quote:
yea thats a little better thanx. anyways what happend is the motor started smokin hella bad and know i got no compression in one cylinder and some kind of knock
way to go ship ur engine to me and ill rebuild it for you for free if you send me all the new parts and pay for shipping both ways
Signum Temporis is offline   Reply With Quote