Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
KingKong8247
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
KingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KingKong8247
How to use helicoil

OK well this was my first time using helicoil. I was a bit nervous but it turned out to be very easy.

My valve cover bolt was stripped, which Im sure has happened to a lot of you. I went to autozone and picked up a kit for the right thread pitch. M6 x 1.00.

-First off remove valve cover.
-I put a rag in there so none of the metal shavings will get into the oil.
-Next use a 1/4" drill bit and drill out the stripped hole. The tap will usually say on it or on the package somewhere what size drill bit to use. Very important to use the proper size.

-Then using some type of cutting oil (WD40 is fine) spray the hole and the tap and proceed to tap the hole.

The way I tap is start it slowly, use the first couple turns to make sure it is going in straight, slowly turn it a 1/2 turn, then back it out a full turn or more to clear out the metal shavings. Do that all the way through the hole.

-Next your set should come with a black rod with threads on the end. Install the helicoil on this. It will help install the helicoil into the thread.

Then slowly turn the helicoil into your newly tapped thread.

Keep turning it until it is about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn above the surface.

After that just use some sort of punch, small screwdriver, or tiny drill bit and punch out the piece that goes straight along the bottom.

And thats it, you are good to go
Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
sac
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Pretty decent write up.
I would RED or stronger LOCKTITE on the threads of the helicoil to prevent it from budging though.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
burnsauto
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (4)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
nice write up. +rep for you

Support Innovation.
Body Work Questions? PM me.
burnsauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice reference for someone who does this in the future. +1
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
s13drob
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
s13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
hasnt happend yet. but ill remmeber this writeup till then. thanx. great job.
s13drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
WangonwWarrior
Zilvia FREAK!

Location: Amerika24 alabama: Where if your not first..... your last
Trader Rating: (15)
WangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Thats a good write up and its not too hard to do props to you
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

khilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond repute
+rep I didn't even know there was such a thing.
khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
oh fuck i need that man i stripped one of my threadhole from my sr block. hehehe cool +1 thanks for showing us
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
+ rep for you sir. I don't know what a helicoil is. Whats the difference between using a helicoil and a thread tap?
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
sac
Zilvia Addict

sac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymore
if its really stripped to fuck to the point where the bolt thats supposed to go in there wabbles around and wont thread at all, you can heli-coil. Or you can tap it with a larger bolt. But in some cases you cannot use a larger bolt for clearance issues or something. So you heli-coil it.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
90KAcoupe
Zilvia Junkie

90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to 90KAcoupe
^^ a helicoil fixes a completely stripped out hole.. a thread tap just cleans up threads normally.. if u tap a completely stripped out whole u would have to make it bigger (then ur bolt wouldnt fit)... so basically helicoil= saved lives...

that was suppose to be pointed at w0nderbr3ad sorry..

Last edited by 90KAcoupe; 03-28-2008 at 01:52 PM..
90KAcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
sac
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90KAcoupe View Post
^^ a helicoil fixes a completely stripped out hole.. a thread tap just cleans up threads normally.. if u tap a completely stripped out whole u would have to make it bigger (then ur bolt wouldnt fit)... so basically helicoil= saved lives...
i thought i kinda said that.. but you pointed it out to deffinition.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #13
Mr.James
Zilvia Member

Mr.James is making a name for him/her selfMr.James is making a name for him/her self
i had to heli coil my block where the stupid metal oil line for the turbo goes... pain in the arse to get in there with the motor in! but turned out well....hopefully i have no problems when it comes time to upgrade...
Mr.James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #14
importdude
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
importdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to importdude
awesome guide for ppl that never done it

here is my Suggestions

Helicoil for anything that doesnt require much Tq
timesert for everything esle
importdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #15
handinpants
FreshColdBeer.com

Trader Rating: (48)
handinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to handinpants
I love these things, they are sooooo helpful... thanks for your how to, i need to know cause i'm prone to making mistakes.... .
handinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #16
r6_240sx
Zilvia Addict

r6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfection
+1 I love helicoils.
r6_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #17
gunluvS14
Zilvia Member

gunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura about
nicely done man
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #18
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
i love helicoils..

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #19
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Helicoils save lives... put that on a shirt.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #20
trsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
trsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You should check out timesert - same idea, but seem to hold better. I had to do it to my sr like 5 years ago and it held up fine.

OP - good job. You are lucky you on had to do it to a valve cover bolt. My friends did that to hold their headstud. Now when you are doing that, it is awfully scary. But the helicoli held up to at least 15+ 10 second passes in the 1/4 miles, making 750FWHP in his honda. THe block gave before the head lifted.
trsilvias13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
KingKong8247
Zilvia Junkie

KingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsilvias13 View Post
You should check out timesert - same idea, but seem to hold better.
Ill look into that, Ive never heard of it.

Also sac are you saying use some loctite then insert the helicoil?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
sac
Zilvia Addict

ya.. i put locktite on the outer part of the threads. the part you thread into the head in this case. Just a little bit though. You dont want to glob it in there, and have it get on the inner thread where you will thread in your valve cover bolts. Just a small dab will do the job. Kinda like anti-seize, only you want the helicoil to really stick in that bitch (bitch being the head.)
Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
DoriftoPnoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
DoriftoPnoy is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
haha helicoil is good for lil things like that i guess. but when it comes to things that require a lot of torque like a head bolts, then no I would not recommend using it.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #24
blownmotor
Zilvia Junkie

blownmotor is on the path to ruinblownmotor is on the path to ruin
time serts are the way to go lasts much longer helicoils can eventually pull out
blownmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #25
sac
Zilvia Addict

yes time serts are alot better way to go, but if its for a valve cover bolt where there is little torque, and you have helicoils laying around, I would just use the helicoil. A lil locktite and helicoil will hold up to a valve cover bolt for a pretty long ass time as long as when it gets pulled your careful, and remember rightie tighty lefty loosie.. hahah
Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 AM   #26
sammydag

sammydag is an unknown quantity at this point
helicoils are the best thing for aluminum bolt holes
+1 on write up
sammydag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
LigouriRd
Zilvia Member

LigouriRd will become famous soon enoughLigouriRd will become famous soon enoughLigouriRd will become famous soon enough
One trick to add to this:
To keep the chips from drilling and tapping from getting everywhere (like in the head), schmeer some really thick grease around the hole. It will capture the chips as they come out of the hole and has the added benefit of lubricating the operation.

Even with that rag there, i bet some chips still ended up in the head.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #28
Silverstreek
Zilvia Member

Silverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really nice
old thread bump. gotta do this on my motor, anybody know what the thread pitch is for the ka24de valve cover bolts? not sure by the pics if this for a ka24de or not.
Silverstreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #29
KingKong8247
Zilvia Junkie

The head is off of a ka24e motor. I have no idea if the pitch is the same.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #30
Silverstreek
Zilvia Member

Silverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really nice
well if this writeup's for a ka24de then i'm good to go.