Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
PS Reservoir Relocation

i ran a few searches and i was unable to turn up the information i was looking for, so i ask...

...does anyone know the proper way to relocate the PS reservoir to the back corner of the engine bay? i dont know jack shit about the power steering system on my car other than there is a reservoir, a rack, a low pressure side, and a high pressure side. i honestly couldnt tell you how to identify which side is which and where in the system the reservoir falls into place. thats mainly why i havent just jumped in and fucked anything up. when performing the relocation are the stock hoses long enough already to relocate to the back or will i have to purchase newer/longer ones? also if i do need to replace them, is there a special type of hose that i need to buy? like high pressure hose or something?

any info that can get me pointed in the right direction is appreciated. thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you looked closely,the reservoir has 2 hoses that are clamped on. Obviously they are not high pressure lines. Otherwise, the hose clamps would blow off.

You can put the reservoir anywhere you like. Just get longer power steering grade hoses of the same inner diameter. I would get new clamps while you're at it.

FYI, the only high pressure line is from the pump to the rack. Any other line is low pressure.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
kick ass man. i already had to replace the clamps once since they were leaking so ill just get some new hoses. thanks a lot for the info. any idea what the inner diameter is for a redtop sr20?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i don't remember offhand but I'm pretty sure that there are 2 different sizes.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
kick ass man. i already had to replace the clamps once since they were leaking so ill just get some new hoses. thanks a lot for the info. any idea what the inner diameter is for a redtop sr20?
Should be the same as a KA24DE because you can reuse the reservoir from the US chassis.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
Mister.E
Post Whore!

oh ok, ill try and figure out what the sizes for the KA are. thanks again man.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You could just use the KAE resovoir. It bolts on the passenger strut tower instead of the driver's one. That is what I am going to do.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
its also because the PS pump is on the passenger side. with dohc KA/SR the PS pump and reservoir are located on the usdm driver-side shock tower.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideview_180sx View Post
its also because the PS pump is on the passenger side. with dohc KA/SR the PS pump and reservoir are located on the usdm driver-side shock tower.
Yes, I know that. All you need is some bulk hose in the correct size and you can move the resovoir anywhere you want as long as it ia mounted higher in the chasis than the pump.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say it. make sure it's mounted higher, the pump, although it's capable of pulling fluid, likes to be gravity fed. It's one less concern to worry about.

And please use ATF. There's no point in redoing it all and then running regular PS fluid through the system.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Mister.E
Post Whore!

ATF as in Auto Tranny Fluid? ive never heard that one before....

can anyone confirm this?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

can anyone confirm this?
ATF is in the FSM. Also, projectRDM knows his shit, for future reference
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
LongGrain
Post Whore!

LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Quote:

can anyone confirm this?
if russ said it, that IS confirmation.
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:

can anyone confirm this?
Read your owner's manual. Or the FSM. Or the service schedule manual. Or anything printed by Nissan. Nearly 80% of Japanese built vehicles since the late 80s were designed for and use ATF in the power steering system. Sadly no one can read and then they cry weekly about power steering noise, leaks, and catastrophic failure. If you've got the system open, do it a favor and flush it thoroughly and pour in fresh ATF, Dexron type. Otherwise you're just postponing eminent problems until later.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
Mister.E
Post Whore!

i didnt mean to question your knowledge i was just asking. i have never heard of this before so its kinda new to me. this being my first Nissan, i dont have much experience. believe me, i would gladly read my service manual, but they never made one for the 180sx in english. ill just read about it in the S14 SR20 manual. thanks for the info.

does the manual say anything about the proper way to flush the system of all that crappy powersteering fluid?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Don't mind Russ. He doesn't know anything. He still believes in fundamental things like searching and reading comprehension. He doesn't know that those things are a lost art.

Fluid type is covered in the US manual.

For flushing I recommend this: http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/pwrsteering.htm
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yes, Nissan uses ATF for power steering fluid.

If you do this, make sure to get hoses that are oil/gas rated. ATF or PS fluid will sweat right through vacuum or coolant hose.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #18
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ Confirmed. ATF is easier to bleed, leaks less, and takes pressure better than PS flud.

Edit: Wow, late response ftl.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #19
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
What are your opinions on using that Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak stuff? Its thick as molasses (as are most stop leak fluids) but I've had no problems using it in my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #20
timlush
Zilvia FREAK!

timlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to timlush
Fix the leak?
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #21
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Read your owner's manual. Or the FSM. Or the service schedule manual. Or anything printed by Nissan. Nearly 80% of Japanese built vehicles since the late 80s were designed for and use ATF in the power steering system. Sadly no one can read and then they cry weekly about power steering noise, leaks, and catastrophic failure. If you've got the system open, do it a favor and flush it thoroughly and pour in fresh ATF, Dexron type. Otherwise you're just postponing eminent problems until later.
I keep telling people that all the time and they all look at me like I'm the crazy one.

Russ for president!!!!
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #22
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240 View Post
What are your opinions on using that Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak stuff? Its thick as molasses (as are most stop leak fluids) but I've had no problems using it in my cars.
That is a band-aid, not a permanent fix.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #23
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Don't mind Russ. He doesn't know anything. He still believes in fundamental things like searching and reading comprehension. He doesn't know that those things are a lost art.

Fluid type is covered in the US manual.

For flushing I recommend this: http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/pwrsteering.htm
thanks man but i dont think they have any BG shops around here
Old 02-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #24
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
That is a band-aid, not a permanent fix.
It's not even that. ATF is a thinner, lighter fluid, and the pumps Nissan, Toyota, and others build are designed to use that type of fluid, period. Dropping heavy, thick, chunky fluid into the system will effectively block the flow heavily. The ATF not only keeps the system operable, it lubricates the bearings inside the pump, blocking flow through it will cause the bearings to overheat and eventually burn up.
There's a lot of good reads and I even wrote up one last year I think when some kid tried to argue with me, but it comes down to ATF having a higher viscosity, a higher thermal point and boiling point, and having detergent additives to help reduce buildup and sludge. I have found that Nissan builds a better steering pump overall (Toyotas shit pumps like a drunkard on a binge if you even mention PS fluid) but as soon as they get some clogs from the PS fluid overheating you will see reduced flow. Just like in a turbocharger, overheated oil will 'coke' and produce a varnish inside the housing, burnt PS fluid will coat the insides of lines and hoses and begin to stop up the system, and cause undue pressure on fittings and clamps since it's trying to go somewhere. If you're blowing air through a straw and someone sticks a grape in the end of it, where does the air go? Around the straw, dribbling down your chin. Hence all the power steering leaks people continue to have and can never understand why. The only stop leak that could work properly would seal up and harden as it dried, and there's nothing on the market like that. You're better off JB Welding all your hose ends down if you're going to pour a bottle of that shit into the car.

I went through three power steering pumps on my Lexus before finally getting everything flushed and cleaned out from the previous owner's ignorance. That included dropping the rack and cleaning the filter on it, which if you search around Toyota forums is a nightmare task. If you're not able to use a good flushing agent, buy a full case of average quality ATF and run all twelve bottles through the system, making sure you keep the fluid topped off and not stopping until you're certain only clear, red fluid is coming out. Then remove all the lines and hoses, spray them out with carb cleaner if you can't easily replace them, then blow them dry with high pressure air. Finally, add a high quality synthetic ATF or similar back in. I run that $6 a bottle Mobil One ATF in my car, but I also used a brand new pump, reservoir, an external cooler, and new hoses and lines custom made at a hose shop. There's nothing more frightening then driving a mountain road at high speeds and having your pump or rack freeze and lock up. Do it right or do it over and over again.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Hmm.. interesting to know. Like I said, I've never had any problems, but I don't want to cause any. I'm gonna flush my shit out next week lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #26
projectRDM
Post Whore!

IMO, any kind of stop leak is the worst thing you can do. Whatever the active agent is it's designed to 'look' for the leak, so you've got something in your system that's actually creating more possible leaks than if you left it alone because it's hitting every possible culprit spot. I tried rear main seal stop leak on my brother's Camry to buy some time because I was booked solid for a few weeks, when I finally pulled the engine to replace it the front main, timing cover, oil pump, and valve cover were also leaking. But hey, the rear main did dry up a bit in the time it was in there, so I guess it did what it's supposed to do, right?