Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #91
anton1o
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
anton1o is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to anton1o
E85 is becoming hugely popular, altho we get alot of variance between petrol stations with fuel so you dont mind many street cars running it at all, but in terms of Drift/Drag/Circuit its getting massive.

In regards to the injector choices.
550cc side feed = 220-230kw
740cc side feed = 250-260kw
850cc side feed = 260-270kw
1000cc top feed = 290-300kw
2000cc top feed = 350kw +

I was going to put my street car on E85 since i would only do about 1tank a week so it would be ok, but decided against it and would rather just look at doing NOS or other extra's to give that power jump, but it definetly has its rewards if it suits what your trying to achive

anton1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #92
nomma

Trader Rating: (1)
nomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what about corrosion to the engine internals...

im really interested in this but i have one major question. since e85 is a more corrosive fuel how do the pistons rings and walls hold up? im a ford tech and in our alternative fuel classes we were taught that the e85 can score pit and cause abnormal wear to the pistons rings and cylinder walls? anyone noticed this? or are yo only recommending running this with completely built and forged internals?
nomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #93
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
While the engine is in use, E85 doesn't necessarily cause any additional engine wear. It's merely the lack of additives that can be put in E85 to lubricate the combustion chamber. If gasoline didn't have its additives, you would get the same kind of engine wear. The piston rings and walls should be fine during operation.

However, the problem could come from between engine uses. Once the engine is shut off, some E85 may still be sitting in the valves. If the engine is sitting for a good period of time, you can expect the surface of iron sleeves, iron rings, or spark plugs to be prone to rusting. The best way to avoid this would be to "purge" the combustion chamber by cranking the starter, while the ECU is kept off so as not to continue injecting more fuel.

Neither of my engines have been rebuilt or have forged internals. After 5000 miles of use in the last six months, the engine performance and compression tests have been exceptional. The only thing I have had to replace in the last year were my spark plugs. Ever since I wired a switch directly to the starter to "purge" the engine, the spark plugs haven't been rusting.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #94
260sexways
BANNED

260sexways is an unknown quantity at this point
Ethonal gas is hygroscopic (will absorb water) and can absorb 50 times more water than conventional non-alcohol gas. The shelf life of e85 is dramatically shorter than regular gas.There is also no known product to retract the water from the fuel.
260sexways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #95
TEALSQUEAL
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
TEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her selfTEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I run Lucas e85 additive in every tank I run. All fuel absorbs water; heet isn't an absolute fix. All the naysayers that pop in never have ran the fuel. Can we get someone to speak up who has run it and had a million problems? I can personally say that after years of running it, the worst thing I have seen is a few more cranks during extremely cold startups...
TEALSQUEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #96
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
sr20vet using E85
YouTube - ‪Tuning the S13's new setup‬‏
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #97
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 260sexways View Post
There is also no known product to retract the water from the fuel.
Humm, thats odd because producing e85 creates lots of water, and there is a test you can do to see how much water is in it, and then from that figure there is a product that removes the water.

I cant remember the names of the products because Im not going to register with the atf to make my own but I did look into it and you statement is false.
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #98
TEALSQUEAL
Zilvia Junkie

TEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her selfTEALSQUEAL is making a name for him/her self
It's sad these threads die so fast. Anyone tried different heat range plugs to see if helps their cold start? I have tried both protruded and recessed tips. The recessed tips have definitely always worked better.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #99
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
What's the model number is your spark plug? I've been meaning to try a recessed tip plug.

I'm currently using NGK Iridium IX HR 7. If the temperature is above 24C, then it'll start the first time.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #100
TEALSQUEAL
Zilvia Junkie

I have to run denso iridium power's they are a 8 heat range. I have to use them for my coils (CBR929rr) they have a removable tip. I am thinking of going back to 7's though; my car starts within a few cranks above 60 F
Old 07-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #101
jvega
Leaky Injector

jvega is an unknown quantity at this point
can i just put E85 on my sr20det with the stock ecu and maf but i do have a t28 and 555cc injectors?
Can i just mix some E85 at least with my setup??
jvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #102
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
Its not smart to do stuff like this half assed. Read this thread and others so you can get a proper pump and regulator setup, verify your pcv system will work right and not be a fire hazard and tune properly for your mods.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #103
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Johnny_K is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So i know this is an old thread but figure it would be a good place to ask.

WHP goals is around 230-250 on a stock block ka24 with a garrett t25 and front mount IC

Will a walbro 255 suffice?
i currently have 370cc injectors, what size would i need for my HP range?
I plan on upgrading to an adjustable FPR, is that and injectors all i need to upgrade?

As for my ecu I planned on getting a nistune and getting with 4x4 LE on the tune.
Johnny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #104
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been using e85 for some years in a CA18DET now. Using nistune to set it, walbro 255, T28R, S14 maf and 510cc mistu injectors. Also running a 3bar sr20det FPR (ca18 is 2.5)

What can i say?

1/ 510cc are maxed at 1bar (15psi) boost. I think i will be installing ID1000. Yet it is producing around 300hp.

2/ never had a problem, but you need to monitor AFR all the time and be ready to remap on the fly. Dont worry about converting 14.7:1 to 9:1, your wideband does it for you : it is measuring lambda then converting, so will always show 14.7 when stoeich, wether you use e85 or regular fuel. This being said, you run 10:1 with regular fuel at WOT, but 12:1 is well enough with e85 (again, i am talking about the reading. I know it is not 12:1, i guess it is near 7 or 8:1, but your gauge WILL SHOW 12:1)

3/ DONT use e85 without a proper remap. Fuel is one thing, timing is another. You can add tons of ignition advance before and after peak VE efficiency, but not there. Which means you cant just turn the distributor cap, or align the CAS on 18° instead of 15. That wont work. It really needs proper timing, otherwise performance will be poo and the car may overheat.

3.5/ for the exact same reason, DONT make your e85 mix. And there is another one : regular pump fuel and e85 do not really mix together, they are bonded by additives in e85 fuel. Mixing means you may run pump alternatively pump fuel, and ethanol at another time.

You will answer "people do it and they have no problem", which is somewhat right. They do it, and dont have knock, EGT nor AFR sensors so dont see the problem. Which is different. Or they really dont have the problem, but dont have performance engines. TBH i use a 40% mix in my daily car. But then i bought if for 100€, so i dont care if it breaks.

4/ i have not seen problems on rubber, except a set of injector gaskets. I had "green ones", which died fast. Got "black ones", no problem.

5/ go high compression ... i never heard a CA running e85 knock. Never. Even when running standard comp pistons, 1.2mm headgasket (which is standard), skimmed bloc and head, and 2bar boost (30psi).

I am venting my catch can to atmosphere, and it did not catch fire either. Maybe i am just lucky ... will double check that though.

considering johnny_K question, i dont know the KA setup ... but i know 370cc are the oem size for a ca18det, and that it is maxed at regular pump with 15psi of boost.

bit of personal advice there, dont get an adjustable FPR, most are shitty unaccurate parts, unless you pay 80+$ for them. Just get bigger injectors from a known manufacturer. No "modified or redrilled" ones (might as well dump your money in a bin).
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #105
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

^ thxs man.

So being that your 510's are maxed out and your at 300HP. you think 510's will suffice for 250 or would you recommend i go bigger?

I'm not sure i like that fact that i have to montior AF all the time and may have to adjust. I would tune it one time and leave it as is.

I never plan on mixing e85 with reg gas. If i go e85 it will be strait e85.

So no adjustable FPR? I thought i needed one to get raise the fuel pressure to 4 bar
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #106
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Yes, you need a FPR to raise the fuel pressure to 4bar. However you dont need to raise the fuel pressure to 4bar, and TBH it creates more problems than it solves them.

Remember your fuel pump has to deliver fuel to FPR setting + boost, and the more pressure, the less flow... most pumps wont flow a lot past 4.5bar. Injectors are also made for 3bar base pressure, so they wont atomize correctly and will heat more with 4bar fuel pressure. that and gaskets will suffer ... Not worth the trouble imho, just get the correct sized injectors.

I dont know the KA24, they did not sell it in France. I am using the CA18DET. They come with 370cc injectors as standard and run around 170HP. They are maxed with 1bar fuel pressure on regular pump gas, which translates into approx 220hp.

If you get a nistune, adjusting will be easy and fast to do. There can be a 1-2 AFR variation between 2 e85 tank, so it just is a matter of seconds. The fuel map itself does not need any correction, you just need to change the K value a little bit ( although it is a bit more complicated as you have to change the TP scale and crank value too. But nistune can do it for you, you just need to use the "resize injector button" , put the old K value in the "new injector size", the wanted K value in the "old injector size", and nistune will do all the complicated things for you. You just need an AFR gauge and sensor)

As for injector size, it all depends on what you plan for your engine. Will you stay to 250hp ? Will you want more ? Just dont buy crappy redrilled ones i think i'll go with 1000cc, so i get a nice margin for future upgrade.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #107
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

^ k, your kinda losing me here. The first sentence says i need to raise to 4 bar but the 2nd sentence says that i dont need to. What does TBH stand for?

Thxs for the info on the nistune, not sure what all that means but i will ask the guy tuning my car.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #108
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton1o View Post
E85 is becoming hugely popular, altho we get alot of variance between petrol stations with fuel so you dont mind many street cars running it at all, but in terms of Drift/Drag/Circuit its getting massive.

In regards to the injector choices.
550cc side feed = 220-230kw
740cc side feed = 250-260kw
850cc side feed = 260-270kw
1000cc top feed = 290-300kw
2000cc top feed = 350kw +

I was going to put my street car on E85 since i would only do about 1tank a week so it would be ok, but decided against it and would rather just look at doing NOS or other extra's to give that power jump, but it definetly has its rewards if it suits what your trying to achive
Can anyone validate the injector info above.

Using the calcuator here:
Calculators: Horsepower/Kilowatt Conversions

550CC will suffice for a 250 HP goal.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #109
dudewutup
Zilvia Member

dudewutup is an unknown quantity at this point
I just skimmed through but ka guys can convert to e85 with just stock 370cc injectors from sr, 300zx, q45...ect.. I've been on e85 since 08 no supporting mods.

sent from my cell phone. its a old beat up one held together with rubber bands. im ghetto...

Guess I can't call it a 240....
dudewutup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #110
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

^ what fuel pump are u using? how many WHP are you putting down? Do you still like being on e85?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #111
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_K View Post
^ k, your kinda losing me here. The first sentence says i need to raise to 4 bar but the 2nd sentence says that i dont need to. What does TBH stand for?

Thxs for the info on the nistune, not sure what all that means but i will ask the guy tuning my car.
The first sentence says you need an adjustable FPR to adjust pressure. the second one says you dont have to adjust pressure, so dont get and adjustable FPR.

TBH > to be honest

More pressure = more fuel, but also = problem. You can get more fuel with bigger injectors and you need bigger injectors anyway so just get bigger injectors with the correct sizing. going from 3 to 4bar base pressure gives around 15 to 20% fueling capacity increase (no, it is not linear)

dudewutup > see previous post, point 3 and 3.5. There is a special write up for you just after the 3.5 : do not assume you have no problem when you have no way to monitor if you do or not.

if you just installed bigger injectors, your fueling is out in most places (i highly double latency is the same, and you just dumped more fuel everywhere). That and your timing is now way out. Which is not what you can call "all right". Do as you please, but please refrain from advising people when you cant check wether what you do is correct or not.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #112
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

^ gotcha, make sense now.

I appreicate your help.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #113
VegasTiff

VegasTiff is an unknown quantity at this point
I have some subaru yellow sidefeed 500cc injectors that i will be installing soon...i was planning on running 16lbs of boost on 91, but do you guys think that i can pass 12lbs of boost or more on e85 and getting nearly the same power?

Right now im running a stock block s14SR20det, s15t28, FMIC, walbro255, PowerFC, z32 maf(not installed yet), and my 370cc injectors are maxed at 12psi on my 91 pump gas.
VegasTiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #114
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I'd just like an opinion. I am redoing my Turbo and fuel setup, I'm going to be running a VE head with a 3076 and I am very interested in running E85. I have an AEM and all the neccesary blah blah blah.

Right now I have a Denso Supra fuel pump, think seems to pump like a champ but will it be enough for what I need? I was thinking of possibly running a bosch 044 in line, is that necessary? And also, what size injectors should I run, I am down for overkill. I dont want to run my injectors at like 95% duty cycle and shit.

Any info would be great.
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #115
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
I'd just like an opinion. I am redoing my Turbo and fuel setup, I'm going to be running a VE head with a 3076 and I am very interested in running E85. I have an AEM and all the neccesary blah blah blah.

Right now I have a Denso Supra fuel pump, think seems to pump like a champ but will it be enough for what I need? I was thinking of possibly running a bosch 044 in line, is that necessary? And also, what size injectors should I run, I am down for overkill. I dont want to run my injectors at like 95% duty cycle and shit.

Any info would be great.
Aeromotive*|*11101 - A1000 Fuel Pump

^^ that and a set of 1200cc injectors will be perfect for your setup, you'll never have fuel problems and have plenty of Injector to play with

Also make sure you have a GREAT tuner because E85 doesn't knock, It just goes KABOOM! It has very little knock IF any
Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #116
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

yup, no knock on e85. EGTs and cylinder pressure skyrockets,and then your pistons melt / the block or head crack.

I dont know the engine you use. I know a GT3071 on a CA18DET and a 9000rpm head requires 1200-1600cc injectors to get 2bar pressure (but then the turbo dies as it overspins) with e85. Dual fuel pump setup could be useful too, not sure it is needed. It also needs a true peak & hold injector driver if your injectors are low impedance, the oem saturated driver cant open injectors that big correctly, and you wont be able to map them correctly. You can adapt a megasquirt driver for that, it does not cost a lot, around 60$ i believe. Injector size also depends on your redline, i think 1200cc would be enough on that CA if the redline was at 7500 or 8000.

If it is on a sr or a KA ... i dont know, but i dont think it will need smaller injectors.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #117
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
Ive been skimming through this thread but i didnt see this mentioned.

What is gas mileage like running straight e85, with my pump tune im getting around 20-23mph. How much worse is it going to be?

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #118
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post

What is gas mileage like running straight e85, with my pump tune im getting around 20-23mph. How much worse is it going to be?
Well e85 uses ~30% more fuel, so I'd say your mileage would drop to about 15-17mpg
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #119
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Fuel consumption goes up by around 15-20% on a CA18DET. It also comes with a free power upgrade (around 10-15%), as it allows perfect ignition timing. It also allows to keep oem compression ratio, even at higher boost, which means a more responsive engine.

I went from 9L/100km (26.14mpg) to 11l/100km (21.38mpg) with a somewhat stage 1 setup (performance upgrades: freeflow filter,FMIC, 1bar boost on stock T25, own remap) on a CA18DET. I cant remember how much hp that was, but there was about 20-25HP gain.

Now i am doing 13-14L/100 (~17.5mpg) with a T28 running 1bar boost and remap (and all supporting mods including exhaust). It makes around 300hp at that pressure, but injectors are maxed so i guess i could achieve a bit better mileage and power with bigger injectors. My CA eats a lot of fuel though. Much more than it is supposed to.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #120
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post

I went from 24-28 before e85. Now I always get 15mpg. Whether I baby it or floor it. I'm putting down 300hp at 15 psi