Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-15-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
Blackmassive2669

Trader Rating: (0)
Blackmassive2669 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Ka24e Noises

So after researching and trying out methods from zilvia, nico and YouTube, I've decided to make a post.

Recently I've changed my timing chain, timing guides and tensioner cause a piece of my guide shaved off. Once everything was back together, i noticed a noise that occurs when revving. Like a rattle noise. So i figured maybe its the tensioner not getting any oil pressure and at higher rpms, the tensioner isnt doing its job. I dont believe its the new kit(OSK btw) so i bought a new oil pump. A hitachi one(good oem replacement) and nope, that rattle is still there.

I tackled the rocker arms a couple months back so i know the noise and this is definitely not the noise.

Cant confirm its rod knock due to compare sounds with other rod knock videos

Any ideas

I guess i should mention everything i knocked out in past couple of weeks
Water pump
PS tensioner bearing
OSK timing kit
Rtv front cover
Oil Pump
New belts
4 oil changes(15w40 rotella if anyone is wondering)
2 coolant flushes(seeing if any coolant got mixed into my oil)

https://vimeo.com/384996618
Blackmassive2669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
inferno s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
inferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
check for metal in oil.
check for play on the suspected rod - you can push piston down wards with an object through spark plug hole to check for play, or you can do it through the bottom if you remove oil pan.
Stethoscope method to find the sharpest ping location.

try the easiest methods/ cheapest parts first.
let us know
inferno s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
Blackmassive2669

Trader Rating: (0)
Blackmassive2669 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the reply inferno. So i took out the spark plugs, put screwdriver in the spark plug hole and then rotated the engine until i felt the piston hit the screwdriver. Felt like no play besides the screw driver bending from the force i was applying.
Would it be easier to push down if this was the case? Like a spring?
As for dropping the oil pan to check, i probably won't be able to check unless i take it to a better location. Working on a car at an apartment and parked on a slope sucks

Also for metal in oil, it did have some because when the the guide shaved off, some of the chain links were also shaved(it was a shitfest that day for the chain) but luckily caught it before it went out of time. Besides that, no other metal shaving were in it before.

Just to add too, this noise came on my first startup after putting the car back together. Never happened before the chain guide shaved off.
Blackmassive2669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
so your tensioner sheared off...which would put a good amount of slack in the chain, possible things I can think of are valve contact on the piston, debris in engine causing excessive wear...I would get a stethoscope and a boroscope to start listening and looking around internally...maybe a valve shim came off...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote