Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #31
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Looking through the kit I don't see a provision for power steering -- presumably like the K miata swaps you have to go EPS?
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #32
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
The PS and all the accessories run on a single belt so it's all on the same side.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #33
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
10k makes my nissan sound like a civic....ill pass
imo, k-engine fitment is pretty terrible on an s-chassis

funny how in the mid to late 90s, everyone was all about vtak...

then 2000 everyone jumped ship to rwd

we've gone full circle, vtac and rwd combined. yuck.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #34
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
The PS and all the accessories run on a single belt so it's all on the same side.
Yeah, not sure how that's all going to work. I believe things need to get moved around to make room for the oil pan, so I don't know if they've worked out a way to keep the hydraulic PS. The TF-works S14 definitely runs EPS, which is really freakin' cool, but definitely an added cost/labor.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #35
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
That's what I figured, and that's the K-Miata answer, too.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #36
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
with the civic comment...what is the current civic engine code? a lot of those are factory turbo...
Only the Type R is a K-series, the K20C1. Well, and the base model NA Civics are K.

Other Civics are L-series IIRC.

RIP affordable K-series for Honda people.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #37
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqNUrF1IaE

Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #38
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
You know, doing the math and with the swaps I have done in the past, a non native engine swap for 8-12K to get a reliable 450WHP is not terrible all said and done. You can shave off a few and get it all done for 10K but it's not terrible.

I do not want to look into what my VET/JK41 into my Z32 cost lol!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #39
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
we've gone full circle, vtac and rwd combined. yuck.
If Honda made the Prelude RWD I'd be down with that. I'm, also a little too big for an S2K (6'3"), or I'd probably own one.

I've been undecided in my swap choice for almost 8yrs... I originally wanted to go SR (DET), but held off after hearing, so many horror stories of them not lasting. A lot of those stories could of been "Operator Error", or lack of appropriate maintenance (during and after the swap), but It's still unsettling knowing you can spend 6-7k on a SR Swap and the thing not last/ be reliable. Even if you are successful for that price, your going to be making what about 260-280whp safely?

Even if the K series turbo swap cost about 10K-ish It's still a pretty reasonable price for 4XXwhp on a motor that can be replaced readily without diving into the internals. (RalliartRsX beat me to it)

I will admit that the SR is still an attractive option for me, because of the fitment and A/C, though. lol
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #40
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I think for a street car that can easily retain heat/ac, the SR still remains the go-to. Although for a drift/race car build I can see the draw to the K series swap.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #41
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
if you're looking at the price of the swap solely in monetary value, you're only looking at half of the picture.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #42
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I think stewart leask is designing and tigging for them on this?
Old 11-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #43
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
I've been undecided in my swap choice for almost 8yrs... I originally wanted to go SR (DET), but held off after hearing, so many horror stories of them not lasting.
the only SRs that dont last are the ones built by idiots

no offense because I like speed academy, but peter using the abrasive disc on the top of the block to remove left over head gasket was completely idiotic. they often get themselves into "user error" problems by doing stupid, amateur, penny pinching maneuvers. this is why you're best leaving things to professionals

i have NEVER had a failure with my SR. its one of the best engines ever. anyone saying different doesnt know what the fuck hes talking about.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #44
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
^^ For sure. That's why I over the years I've pretty much come to the conclusion that a nice stock-ish SR20DET swap is going to cost me about 6-7K vs. the 4-5K (and even less) others do. (I'd still have less in my car vs. a comparable JDM import)

Ideally, I'd want to find a good complete swap and replace everything that's not under the valve cover, with as many brand new OEM parts, or quality JDM upgraded items possible... Still taking a gamble with a used old engine.

It's also hard deciding to go with a newer S15/ S14 DET (possible VTC problems?), or going Red/ Black top (engine is going into an S13). Stock Spec-R power would be nice and almost seems like the logical choice these days?

Or, at this point do you just count on getting any SR20DET completely rebuilt? Which then (imo) makes a decent case for going turbo K-series... lol
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #45
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
^^ Yeah, IMHO "oh man, it doesn't make x amount of HP! Or doesn't bolt in!" is very 1 dimensional. A EFR 7163 on paper making 400HP sounds comparable to a DET at the same level from strictly a HP standpoint. However, boost recovery, drivability, reliability (lower PR for same power) etc all factor into why a VET with a 7163 is light years better than a bog standard DET with a 2871 although they both technically make the same power

Same can be said for a K series into a 240. It's not just about power or being able to be bolted up

Sorry TheReal, not trying to be a dick, just my opinion

K series the world!!!
Brah... no way in the world an EFR 7163 VET with decent cams is going to only make 400 rwhp, unless you want to run it at 14-15 psi. The EFR 7163 will stomp all over a 2871R DET everywhere, which is what you're saying, but there is also a pretty large power difference. I'd guesstimate at about 30-60 rwhp up top easy, depending on the size of the turbo and its ability to keep up with the VET head.

As for a K swap in an S-chassis... I love me some S-chassis goodness, but I'm totally getting an S2000 if I want some RWD VTEC fun for these sorts of prices.

Plus K20/K24s are showing themselves to have oiling issues in a longitudinal setup. They act like they want a deep as hell oil pan, and then the engine just doesn't fit in many cars. Sure, these tiny oil pans to fit them in a RWD setup are fine for a street/drag setup, but start pulling some Gs and your engine is toast.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:08 PM   #46
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
the only SRs that dont last are the ones built by idiots

no offense because I like speed academy, but peter using the abrasive disc on the top of the block to remove left over head gasket was completely idiotic. they often get themselves into "user error" problems by doing stupid, amateur, penny pinching maneuvers. this is why you're best leaving things to professionals

i have NEVER had a failure with my SR. its one of the best engines ever. anyone saying different doesnt know what the fuck hes talking about.
Agreed on the Speed Academy guys. I love their channel, but sometimes I really struggle with some stupid shit they do. Like, they've been modding cars long enough to know some of these basics that end up biting them in the ass when they go past basic bolt-ons (which is sadly where they have been tending to stay lately).

My SRs put up with hell. I had a few failures on them overtime, but I'm honestly shocked they were as reliable as they were. They can generally take one hell of a beating on the street, and as long as you don't go stupid on the power/heat at the track, they also take it like a champ.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #47
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
As for a K swap in an S-chassis... I love me some S-chassis goodness, but I'm totally getting an S2000 if I want some RWD VTEC fun for these sorts of prices.

Plus K20/K24s are showing themselves to have oiling issues in a longitudinal setup. They act like they want a deep as hell oil pan, and then the engine just doesn't fit in many cars. Sure, these tiny oil pans to fit them in a RWD setup are fine for a street/drag setup, but start pulling some Gs and your engine is toast.
and at that point, it would make sense to spend bigger bucks fitting a dry sump conversion - if and whoever makes that. I dont know because I dont care, but im sure it exists.

Quote:
Agreed on the Speed Academy guys. I love their channel, but sometimes I really struggle with some stupid shit they do. Like, they've been modding cars long enough to know some of these basics that end up biting them in the ass when they go past basic bolt-ons (which is sadly where they have been tending to stay lately).

My SRs put up with hell. I had a few failures on them overtime, but I'm honestly shocked they were as reliable as they were. They can generally take one hell of a beating on the street, and as long as you don't go stupid on the power/heat at the track, they also take it like a champ.
Its a generational thing. Next gen of enthusiasts are looking for something new or to be different, but often lose sight of what is designed to work in a chassis.

We're damn near being in 2020. If you're going to install an SR in your car, take it to the machine shop and have it cleaned up and refreshed. Simple as that. Dont fuck with 30 year old cars unless you have the money to burn in restoration.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #48
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Def you stated what I wanted to much more eloquently

In terms of the oiling issues I know there has been a pan with the proper baffles developed for this specific situation and a few folks run them (oil travelling up the timing cover). Andy Hollis in the k swap miata with 285 purple crack on "stock" fenders had a much more extreme scenario at COTA......and we all know how COTA eats bearings due to long sweepers. I'll have to check back with his build thread but I recall him resolving this very issue a year or so ago with a properly baffled pan.

Either way, there is a solution. I've also never had an issue with any of my SR on track apart from things that were self inflicted. A majority of the failures are from drifters and them rapping the limiter and then doing dumb shit like installing stoppers and then blaming the engine. THAT is where a majority of the failures exist.....the rest are from folks who decide that torque and clearance specs and the fsm are not to be followed
Old 11-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #49
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
The Touge Factory oil pan is like an 8 quart capacity.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #50
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^ capacity not the only issue. Proper baffling is also a key issue which needs to be addressed.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #51
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I think stewart leask is designing and tigging for them on this?
Not sure about the design work, but they have a guy in-house that welds the pans and valvecovers, he does great work. Instagram is @skinny__d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I think for a street car that can easily retain heat/ac, the SR still remains the go-to. Although for a drift/race car build I can see the draw to the K series swap.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Quote:

You make a good point about picking up an S2000, it definitely becomes an alternative option if you're looking at turbo K-swap prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
The Touge Factory oil pan is like an 8 quart capacity.
Yeah if the pan maintains oil pressure on a car with 315's all the way around and some decent aero, I think it'll do well on most people's.

Quote:
and at that point, it would make sense to spend bigger bucks fitting a dry sump conversion - if and whoever makes that. I dont know because I dont care, but im sure it exists.

Its a generational thing. Next gen of enthusiasts are looking for something new or to be different, but often lose sight of what is designed to work in a chassis.

We're damn near being in 2020. If you're going to install an SR in your car, take it to the machine shop and have it cleaned up and refreshed. Simple as that. Dont fuck with 30 year old cars unless you have the money to burn in restoration.
Dailey Engineering makes dry sump setups for the K.

While I agree with your "do it right or not at all" mentality, There's no doubt the K series is superior to the SR in quite a few ways. I do think the SR20 is more aesthetic and depending on what they're doing with the car and their level of mechanical skill and knowledge it makes sense for some people. I know lots of old guys that will claim the SBC is the best engine ever because they've never blown one up, but we all know that SBC's are boat anchors.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #52
inferno s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
inferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
if your directed sport is Zig Zagging around a racetrack on a super lightweight RWD Silvia, the k motor is Beast.
If you wanna be different and put this on a full weight S14 and hit the freeway - goodbye see you later - you will get smoked.
Even with a 4.8 final on a closed ratio gearbox @ 9500 rpm on 4th gear doing 110 is not fun.
cool but nahhh.

why i went 2j For the bread.
inferno s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #53
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post

While I agree with your "do it right or not at all" mentality, There's no doubt the K series is superior to the SR in quite a few ways. I do think the SR20 is more aesthetic and depending on what they're doing with the car and their level of mechanical skill and knowledge it makes sense for some people. I know lots of old guys that will claim the SBC is the best engine ever because they've never blown one up, but we all know that SBC's are boat anchors.
A VET is not far off from a K series in terms of power density and overall drivability, etc. Yes, a tad more upfront cost, but overall both packages will deliver in the sub 450WHP reliably all day as long as you keep both cool. However, we are comparing an engine that has had 15 years to improve on the design of the B-series......The last VE rolled off the production floor some 10+ years ago.

P.S There is no point in even discussing the DET in the same breath. IMHO at this price point, this should be strictly a VET to K series comparison.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #54
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
A VET is not far off from a K series in terms of power density and overall drivability, etc. Yes, a tad more upfront cost, but overall both packages will deliver in the sub 450WHP reliably all day as long as you keep both cool. However, we are comparing an engine that has had 15 years to improve on the design of the B-series......The last VE rolled off the production floor some 10+ years ago.

P.S There is no point in even discussing the DET in the same breath. IMHO at this price point, this should be strictly a VET to K series comparison.
True True. It does however, get shit on in the displacement category. You can put cams in a bone stock K24 and make 270whp and 200+ lb/ft of torque. I'd say the K24 has a bit more potential than the VE.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #55
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Ported k series heads flow some serious cfm. More than vet heads I would assume.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #56
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
True True. It does however, get shit on in the displacement category. You can put cams in a bone stock K24 and make 270whp and 200+ lb/ft of torque. I'd say the K24 has a bit more potential than the VE.
NO replacement right

I am with ya on that. I think they have K24s revving reliably all day with a set of cams to 8500. I approve
Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #57
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Dailey Engineering makes dry sump setups for the K.

While I agree with your "do it right or not at all" mentality, There's no doubt the K series is superior to the SR in quite a few ways. I do think the SR20 is more aesthetic and depending on what they're doing with the car and their level of mechanical skill and knowledge it makes sense for some people.
yeah but if you're talking dry sump, you're already above the budget of most broke bastards doing this swap. look at speed academy and how they used a k series motor that they picked up for what, 500 bucks?

maybe im just getting too old for this shit, but too often people get stuck on the technical aspects of how XXXX modern engine is sooo much powerful/faster/etc... they jump through all these hoops to make it fit and work properly. but in the end, its either poorly executed or not fully functional or just not fully refined.

me personally, i'm all about things being period correct and working 100% as intended back when the car was relatively new. i dont mind having less power, as long as all the car looks like whats in my 180sx / silvia catalogs, im happy. i get my parts from nissan, not chevy, honda or toyota. but i get it, everyone wants to experiment with the latest and greatest.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #58
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
^^ capacity not the only issue. Proper baffling is also a key issue which needs to be addressed.
I was mainly commenting on his "tiny oil pan" statement. 8 quarts isn't tiny by a long shot lol. Also they developed it on a time attack car I think it will be sufficient for 99% of people.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #59
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
with the k motors have they gone to a closed or semi closed deck? if not then the continued risk of cylinder warp/walk still exists...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #60
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
with the k motors have they gone to a closed or semi closed deck? if not then the continued risk of cylinder warp/walk still exists...
They are "open deck" and able to make 1000 WHP+. The new designed block, with the integrated crank mains/gurney/ keep cylinder distortion to a minimum.