Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-13-2019, 06:12 AM   #22531
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post
Im looking for threads on degreeing cams for sr20 (BC 264/264). Unable to find much with the search function...
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ECCARDSR20.pdf

JWT has all the stuff on degreeing etc, along with the parts like adjustable sprockets, how to fit them, timing, and pay strong attention to timing or you'll bend half your valves(do not ask me how I know this #KAfirsttime)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #22532
jbrowne

jbrowne is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...ECCARDSR20.pdf

JWT has all the stuff on degreeing etc, along with the parts like adjustable sprockets, how to fit them, timing, and pay strong attention to timing or you'll bend half your valves(do not ask me how I know this #KAfirsttime)
Thanks man! I'm having a hard time finding someone to come do it for me to avoid bending half my valves but I'll read into it anyway. This is great.
jbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #22533
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Has anyone in Cali had their downstream or 'secondary' catalytic converter replaced with a resonator or straight pipe on their 95 (OBD1) S14? I have a feeling the exhaust shops are gonna fight me on this.

Mine appears to have been punctured by some road debris.
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #22534
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Has anyone in Cali had their downstream or 'secondary' catalytic converter replaced with a resonator or straight pipe on their 95 (OBD1) S14? I have a feeling the exhaust shops are gonna fight me on this.

Mine appears to have been punctured by some road debris.
It’s a dummy cat, don’t worry about it. If you’re concerned about noise have the exhaust shop put in a resonator.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #22535
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It’s a dummy cat, don’t worry about it. If you’re concerned about noise have the exhaust shop put in a resonator.
Megan Test Pipe is just fine, same as ISR
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #22536
jbrowne

New BC 264 exhaust cam, I need to swap the dowel to the longer one but I cant get the old one out...... It wont budge... HELP!!

EDIT: Got pissed and drilled it out. Problem solved.

Last edited by jbrowne; 02-15-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #22537
jbrowne

I'm back with another timing question...

New cams and cam gears are going in now and I cant seem to get the dark coloured chain links to line up at 10 & 12 where the dowel pins are.. I rotate the engine over and over by hand and put the crank pulley to the second notch from the left but cant seem to make it happen...

help.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #22538
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post
I'm back with another timing question...

New cams and cam gears are going in now and I cant seem to get the dark coloured chain links to line up at 10 & 12 where the dowel pins are.. I rotate the engine over and over by hand and put the crank pulley to the second notch from the left but cant seem to make it happen...

help.
You will only ever get those links to line up when you install the timing chain for the first time. Just set TDC of compression stoke (cam lobes facing out), and mark the links with a grease pencil before removing the chain.

Other option is to drop the oil pan and put the colored link on the crank gear, like you were starting from scratch.

Also, the links don't line up with the dowel pins, they line up with a dot on the gear itself.

Here's what I did when I replaced my VTC gear, zip tied the chain so it didn't move.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #22539
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Can the brake booster check valve when clogged cause the car to have low idle?

Everytime I press the brakes my idle drops and the car soon dies. My Brake Booster is fine. I checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing. So was just curious about this.

I've been dealing with this idle issue for a long time. It just begins to run a bit rough when its warm. Fine cold start. I'm pretty sure its vacuum related due to the fact that when I mash the brakes rapidly the car ends up dying.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #22540
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post

Everytime I press the brakes my idle drops and the car soon dies. My Brake Booster is fine. I checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing. So was just curious about this.

I've been dealing with this idle issue for a long time. It just begins to run a bit rough when its warm. Fine cold start. I'm pretty sure its vacuum related due to the fact that when I mash the brakes rapidly the car ends up dying.
Well, a clogged or inop brake booster check valve, would not cause any engine symptoms. It would simply not give you power brakes.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #22541
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:

Either you have a vacuum leak, and the booster robs whatever is left (and dies). Or the booster itself could have a vacuum leak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #22542
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Small Questions Thread (SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
Either you have a vacuum leak, and the booster robs whatever is left (and dies). Or the booster itself could have a vacuum leak.

Ugh okay. Thanks guys..

Probably just going to buy a cheap smoke machine and try to find the leak that way. I made a diy vacuum leak tester and found nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #22543
brokeboi01
Zilvia Junkie

brokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enough
Reinstalled my turbo coolant line, torqued it down to spec, new washers/gaskets installed, yet when I attempt to fill up the coolant, it all leaks out from between the seal and bolt. Has anyone had experience dealing with this issue?

brokeboi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #22544
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Check the finish of all of the mating surfaces for scratches, burrs, debris, etc.

Solid metal gaskets (eg. crush washers) need good, clean, smooth surfaces to seal.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #22545
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I acquired a s14 sr20det water neck that is tapped with-8n fitting. I wanted to know if that can be used for coolant feed or return line.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:07 AM   #22546
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisfk View Post
I acquired a s14 sr20det water neck that is tapped with-8n fitting. I wanted to know if that can be used for coolant feed or return line.
Return line.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 AM   #22547
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Ugh okay. Thanks guys..

Probably just going to buy a cheap smoke machine and try to find the leak that way. I made a diy vacuum leak tester and found nothing.

Pack o Camel's is about the cheapest smoke machine you can get. You inhale after lighting, then blow the smoke onto the area to see where it sucks in. Seen everyone from race mechanics to shade tree use this technique. $5 and a match
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #22548
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
For the ball being turbo users; are you using a restrictor at banjo or at the turbo connection. I was looking for a .035 oil feed line and could not find one. The banjo restricts at .065 or .060. Is this acceptable?

I spent several hours with google and came across P2M oil restrictor that's .03 for gt ball bearing turbos and a few other parts. Has anyone used these products with success. (P2M) restrictor has a diameter of 0.03" oil passage, Replacement banjo fitting to be used with the DIF turbo lines. M12 Banjo Hole Size with -3AN end, and Diftech Turbo Oil Feed Banjo Bolt SR20DET. Thanks for reading and chiming in!

https://www.phase2motortrend.com/pro...-ost003-gd.htm

https://frsport.com/dif-10018-turbo-...itting-sr20det

https://frsport.com/dif-10084-turbo-...o-bolt-sr20det

Thanks DERASS!

Last edited by lewisfk; 02-28-2019 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: MORE INFO
Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #22549
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
Are and S13 and S14 KA24DE throttle cables the same?

I'm having a tough time finding a new one specific for an S14, but S13's seems to be abundant.

Thanks

S14 Build
DRFT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #22550
brokeboi01
Zilvia Junkie

brokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enoughbrokeboi01 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Check the finish of all of the mating surfaces for scratches, burrs, debris, etc.

Solid metal gaskets (eg. crush washers) need good, clean, smooth surfaces to seal.

Resolved. Had to torque the hell out of it to seal. Thanks [emoji1374]

brokeboi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #22551
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboi01 View Post
Resolved. Had to torque the hell out of it to seal. Thanks [emoji1374]

also note that if you have to yard to get it to seal, the mating surface might not be flat. something to keep in mind if you have more sealing problems down the road.

also, do not re-use crush washers.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #22552
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisfk View Post
For the ball being turbo users; are you using a restrictor at banjo or at the turbo connection. I was looking for a .035 oil feed line and could not find one. The banjo restricts at .065 or .060. Is this acceptable?

I spent several hours with google and came across P2M oil restrictor that's .03 for gt ball bearing turbos and a few other parts. Has anyone used these products with success. (P2M) restrictor has a diameter of 0.03" oil passage, Replacement banjo fitting to be used with the DIF turbo lines. M12 Banjo Hole Size with -3AN end, and Diftech Turbo Oil Feed Banjo Bolt SR20DET. Thanks for reading and chiming in!
I had at 2871R on my S13 SR and ran the DIF lines and both restrictors: the stock banjo bolt, and a DIF 0.035" restrictor. I see they don't make that size anymore, now it's 0.040". Close enough.

Lines:
https://frsport.com/dif-10034-bottom...s13-sr20det-oe

Restrictor:
https://frsport.com/dif-10016-turbo-...-oil-hole-size

The P2M restrictor would work too since both it and the DIF oil feed line are -3AN.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #22553
rowdyc

rowdyc is an unknown quantity at this point
ive manual converted my 1996 s14 Zenki Silvia but the gear box I got has a s13 speedo drive in it can I wire that one up to the old auto speedo wire which is s14 [auto] if that makes any difference
?
rowdyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:12 AM   #22554
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyc View Post
ive manual converted my 1996 s14 Zenki Silvia but the gear box I got has a s13 speedo drive in it can I wire that one up to the old auto speedo wire which is s14 [auto] if that makes any difference

?
You will need to find an S14 speed sensor and wire that in. Your speedometer will be wrong with the s13 sensor. But yes, it uses the same wires as the auto trans sensor used.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #22555
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Is anyone using the full-race top mount turbo kits with the downpipe? If so, what O2 sensor are you using? The skinny or the fat one. I called Full-race and they couldn't tell me.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #22556
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I was removing my turbo exhaust O2 dump pipe and broke one of the studs inside the turbo exhaust housing. Im thinking, instead of buying 5 new replacement studs, can I get away with using appropriately sized bolts? Id leave 1 or 2 studs just so I could could position the exhaust pipe and then thread in the other 3/4 bolts to secure the pipe in place. I appreciate any feedback
Old 03-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #22557
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
I was removing my turbo exhaust O2 dump pipe and broke one of the studs inside the turbo exhaust housing. Im thinking, instead of buying 5 new replacement studs, can I get away with using appropriately sized bolts? Id leave 1 or 2 studs just so I could could position the exhaust pipe and then thread in the other 3/4 bolts to secure the pipe in place. I appreciate any feedback
I've done it before. Just make sure you have exactly the right length.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #22558
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
I've done it before. Just make sure you have exactly the right length.

How many bolts did you use?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #22559
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
How many bolts did you use?
Lower two were studs and upper 3 I used bolts

Old 03-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #22560
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Does anyone have experience buying studs from USA Mamba on ebay?