Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Reyes1503

Trader Rating: (0)
Reyes1503 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Strange Clutch noise

on my s13 ka24e i noticed that on idle with out pressing the clutch theirs a strange noise going on like a spinning motion, but as soon as i press the clutch it goes away. so then i let the clutch go slowly and slowly the noise comes back..... this is worrying me, the clutch seems fine. i have tested it by pressing it all the way in shifting the gear and slowly letting it go and also pressing the gas at the same time, before the clutch is half way out the car starts to pick up speed. (idk if thats a way to test it but it works well) another way i tested it was by shifting to first and stepping on it all the way to high RPM then shifting to the last gear(5th) and watching it slowly climb. they said if it don't struggle to climb then its good (also idk if thats a way to test the clutch but it worked) so please help............................ not that savvy on automobiles

i am trying to find out if this major or its a common problem and if its normal for the tranny to do that

thanks
Reyes1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
probably the pilot bishing, or throwout bearing.....
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Beemer
Leaky Injector

Beemer is an unknown quantity at this point
100% throw out bearing. Is the clutch fairly new? Cause if not you might as well get a complete clutch kit and replace everything since your going to have to drop the transmission.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
shift_down
Zilvia Junkie

shift_down is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_FX View Post
probably the pilot bishing, or throwout bearing.....
Bro....dont throw out things that you dont know about. How the ef could it be pilot bushing? Think about it. This will lead people the wrong way if you keep doing this.

Throw out bearing is the answer.

Pull the tranny, replace the throw out bearing, lube the tranny spindle up. Dont lube it up too heavily or your clutch will get greasy and slip like a mofo.

Here is a link to how to remove tranny and change clutch, it is pretty easy:

240sx Clutch and Flywheel Swap : 240sx Articles
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Reyes1503

Reyes1503 is an unknown quantity at this point
KA

thanks but how i it throwing bearing? if the whole transmission is new and also the clutch is fairly new, its around 3-4 months new. my cousin had a new clutch installed . my friend said that it might be due to low fluid and would suggest to do a tranny flush and that might solve that problem due to low fluids
Reyes1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Shayl

Shayl is an unknown quantity at this point
Learn how a manual tranny works.

Clutch pressed throw out is loaded hence no noise.

Clutch engaged no load on throwout so it makes noise.

Opposite noises is pilot
Shayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
It's definitely throw out bearing
Tranny flush? Just wasting money
Drop the trans swap bearings (use grease) and then reinstall and fill
Takes about 2 hours without a lift in the garage
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
shift_down
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
Takes about 2 hours without a lift in the garage
if everything goes smoothly.

My first time took me 5 hours, but thats because many of the bolts wouldnt line up, things kept falling, I was doing it by myself and the tranny is heavy, I was only using one scissor jack.

I suggest you have at least 2 jacks ready if you dont have a tranny jack.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Kriskouki
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (199)
Kriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 199 reviews
If I were you, I wouldn't do it until the next clutch job.......But, as far as your problem goes, that it's the throw out bearing issue.....And, yes the problem causes from throw out bearing......I have the exact same problem on my car, but I still live with it......as long as the transmission still shifts very smoothly...no grinding noise or anything like that, I would wait until the next clutch job.....It is just an annoying noise, which will be annoying only when idle......When you drive the car, the engine noise, exhaust and the noise from other cars will make it become close to nothing Again, this is just my opinion...just me....

But, you can feel free to replace the bearing as far as you have time for it....not being too lazy like me....

It could take about 2-3 hours for someone who has experienced it before.....But, I think it could take me up to 4-6 hours as I haven't done anything on my transmission since the SR20DET swap, which was 5 years ago..... It was fun guys.....
Kriskouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriskouki View Post
If I were you, I wouldn't do it until the next clutch job.......But, as far as your problem goes, that it's the throw out bearing issue.....And, yes the problem causes from throw out bearing......I have the exact same problem on my car, but I still live with it......as long as the transmission still shifts very smoothly...no grinding noise or anything like that, I would wait until the next clutch job.....It is just an annoying noise, which will be annoying only when idle......When you drive the car, the engine noise, exhaust and the noise from other cars will make it become close to nothing Again, this is just my opinion...just me....

But, you can feel free to replace the bearing as far as you have time for it....not being too lazy like me....

It could take about 2-3 hours for someone who has experienced it before.....But, I think it could take me up to 4-6 hours as I haven't done anything on my transmission since the SR20DET swap, which was 5 years ago..... It was fun guys.....

i would agree and the next time you do a tranny flush try this stuff made by penzoil called scyncro mesh... its going to say its for gm cars but my homie used it on his 86 and s13 and shifting felt waaay smoother and itll help that noise your dealing with...
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
shift_down
Zilvia Junkie

ya syncromesh is what many guys use. It also has a good cold temperature use to it. Im using amsoil, and someimes the gears will grind when it is cold.