Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Dolby109
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolby109 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR More cam = less vacuum at idle??????

So I just finished putting in a new SR20DET in my 240, and this engine has stage II cams in it.
Without too much trouble I got it running and idling decently, however when I looked at my boost gauge I noticed that it was only running ~10-12psi vacuum.
My old SR with stock cams ran at about 18-20 if memory serves.

So I am wondering if I have some vacuum leak somewhere (this car has far too many vac lines on the manifold) or is it just the cam causing this?
Dolby109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The cam can and in most cases will cause lower vacuum.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
dont worry its just the higher profile cam
my car idles with about 5-10 vac
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Dolby109
Leaky Injector

Thanks!
So now I have another question.
At first the idle was too low for the new cam, so I adjusted it slightly to 900 which seems to idle great. However I took it out for a short drive and the car dies every time I am slowing down (with clutch in) unless I feather the gas.
Do I need more idle, or is there any other way (besides a tune) to fix this?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

your idle/vac map needs tuning for the cams
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Did you verify timing and idle with this? Typcically when people install cams they loose timing correctness and also have the idle way to low...both of which cause poor vacuum.

My car with S3's pulls 17hg of vacuum, not very far off stock.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Dolby109
Leaky Injector

So, what approx should my idle and timing be set to?
Can I just make minor adjustments to the timing and use the vacuum as a guage for when it is close to correct?
The motor came with the angle sensor turned all the way clockwise, so I centered it out. Like I said it does seem to idle ok, but doesn't come down from higher RPM well.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Cam angle sensor needs to be dialed in. Set up your timing at idle
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Dolby109
Leaky Injector

And as a reference the timing should be ...?
I have never actaully set the timing before on an SR (my old motor ran fine with what it was set at).

I am vaguely aware that you have to get a plug wire from another DOHC car and plug it into the coil to use a timing light.
As I dont have a timing light is there anyway to adjust the timing by sound, idle smoothness, or vacuum reading?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby109 View Post
So, what approx should my idle and timing be set to?
Can I just make minor adjustments to the timing and use the vacuum as a guage for when it is close to correct?
The motor came with the angle sensor turned all the way clockwise, so I centered it out. Like I said it does seem to idle ok, but doesn't come down from higher RPM well.
There are many guides on setting timing on the SR20, a google search would be the best place as it would be easier than me typing it.

Another thing to consider is your idle vacuum. While in timing mode, I'd also raise the idle a smidge to help compensate as well (bottom of IACV there is a screw)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Dolby109
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
There are many guides on setting timing on the SR20, a google search would be the best place as it would be easier than me typing it.

Another thing to consider is your idle vacuum. While in timing mode, I'd also raise the idle a smidge to help compensate as well (bottom of IACV there is a screw)
Yes but I was wanting to know if the timing is different for a S2 cammed car, and what the idle should be at. I have allready adjusted to 900rpm which idles fine, but still has problems coming down from higher RPM. Is 1000, or 1100 preferable?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Their installation guide should tell you what timing to set, usually stock!
As far as idle, In the text books it says to set the idle rpm to the lowest stable idle you can achieve.?!? If i followed that rule I could idle at 650rpm, but I always set Sr20's to idle at 850rpm. (I like the sound.)
I seen 1000pm to 1200rpm idles though, I never understood why. In your case, I would go over all vacuum lines and vacuum dependent equipment and make sure you have no leaks, check all sensors, then get tuned.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote