Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
RWiggum

Trader Rating: (0)
RWiggum is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
93 Silvia K's Club, a purplish silver adventure

Hi guys, I recently imported this PS13 and figured I should do a better job of sharing photos and what I learn along the way so here's a thread about it! For photos but less words, try my instagram.

About the car, it's a 1993 Silvia K's Club with a pretty cool spec:
-67,900KM / 42,000 miles
-1K4 paint "purplish/silver"
-SR20DET 5spd
-Club package (digital climate control, triple projector headlamps)
-ABS brakes
-Sunroof
-Aero bumpers
-Viscous LSD

Old 04-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Two tone <3
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
I miss stock s13's. Looks like a great base to start with. What are the plans?
Old 04-23-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
RWiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
My first goal was maintenance. Repairs. And to run 15.8@90mph with the dragy. I actually managed 15.1@95 completely stock which gives
me high hopes for the project, I wondered if the car dynod 185/185 at 10psi because it was tuned in a past life, but the ECU looks stock to me!
Old 04-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Your plans are to run slower than you already did? What the fuck?
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
EF_jaycee
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
EF_jaycee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWiggum View Post
My first goal was maintenance. Repairs. And to run 15.8@90mph with the dragy. I actually managed 15.1@95 completely stock which gives
me high hopes for the project, I wondered if the car dynod 185/185 at 10psi because it was tuned in a past life, but the ECU looks stock to me!
i just got my dragy too, im hoping to run a low 16 with my ka, i think my 255s might slow me down lol
EF_jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
RWiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
I've been guilty in the past of ordering a boatload of modifications and spending more time working on my cars than driving them, so I stretched out my plans for this car into a couple phases. I heard there is a sweet spot of horsepower for the s13 chassis and I'm looking forward to figuring out what the right amount of power is for me. I'm thinking:

Spring 2020
Maintenance
Repairs
Fix seating position for 6'2"
Low key mods that sharpen up the chassis (HLSD, springs, short shifter, etc)
See how much power I can make with bolt ons and the stock T25, don't be slower than my wife's car
Find some cool wheels so i can use today's best tires (225 and 17" smallest options in some cases)

Summer/Fall 2020
Be able to do some open lapping and drive the car harder without parts/brakes giving up on me
Find an OE-fit turbo (maybe GTX2867R) that supports about 300whp on pump gas but could make 350whp with cams and E85 if I ever decide to try later
Don't ruin the car or cut up anything
Old 05-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
RWiggum

Interior

Interior

Here's what wasn't working for me in the interior:

-I don't fit well. My head hits the headliner, my knees interfere with the steering wheel, and the seat is too high. I added a 2" LTB Motorsport Nardi pattern steering wheel spacer in addition to the hub adapter and reduced the steering wheel diameter to 330mm. Everything is perfect except I need a lower seat with better side bolstering. I have no idea which seat to buy.
-The radio didn't work, and I read JDM radios don't pick up the entire spectrum of FM frequencies anyway. I found there's a newer Sony receiver that has a built-in amplifier and outputs more than your average deck, 45w RMS instead of like 20w. Paired with new 6.5" speakers it sounds pretty good!

Here's what I'm doing:
Before

After

Old 05-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I went through this a few years ago with my s13 hatch. I ended up modding some r32 gtr seats (i'm also 6'2") to sit lower in back and they were perfect for a street car. Z32 brakes f/r will be plenty, and s15 hlsd is a great call. Just need 5 lug for some 17x9s with 235-255s, and a Gtx2863.

The hard part at this point is finding decent suspension since most of the advanced DIY options are drying up.

I'm local to you so feel free to PM me if you want to hit up some days or need a hand with anything.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
another option would be S15 seats.

Perfect fit and is slightly lower. and since it's RHD you can plug and play.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
RWiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I went through this a few years ago with my s13 hatch. I ended up modding some r32 gtr seats (i'm also 6'2") to sit lower in back and they were perfect for a street car. Z32 brakes f/r will be plenty, and s15 hlsd is a great call. Just need 5 lug for some 17x9s with 235-255s, and a Gtx2863.

The hard part at this point is finding decent suspension since most of the advanced DIY options are drying up.

I'm local to you so feel free to PM me if you want to hit up some days or need a hand with anything.
Wow this is awesome to hear. Do you have more information about what was necessary to lower the r32 gtr seats? Just used the skyline seats with their sliders and cut/welded some different rear seat mounts?

I'll probably end up upgrading to 5-lug for wheel options but interestingly my front brake rotors are already a step larger diameter than I thought, they're the same 280mm as Z32 rotors (ABS Silvia and 180sx) and I just put on some Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. I haven't driven them hard so I can't tell you if it's enough braking yet though.

If you already have experience with the seats, LSD, GTX and all this, we should definitely talk - I sent you a message.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I have a passenger s15 seat (well, your driver's side) if you wanted to try it out.

Welcome to swap it into your car and see if it works.

I prefer the r32 seats but they're way harder to find in good shape as they're older.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #13
RWiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
another option would be S15 seats.

Perfect fit and is slightly lower. and since it's RHD you can plug and play.
Any idea how much lower the s15 seats will be than s13 seats without modifying anything? My first idea was s14/s15 but I haven't read they would lower the driving position. This would be fantastic though to keep an OEM looking interior and to not spend $1500 on Recaros.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Clean ass car man, love that two tone it’s beautiful.

+1 for R32 seats, I’m 6’ 1” and have those in my S14. Fits way better and hugs your lumbar much nicer.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #15
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWiggum View Post
Any idea how much lower the s15 seats will be than s13 seats without modifying anything? My first idea was s14/s15 but I haven't read they would lower the driving position. This would be fantastic though to keep an OEM looking interior and to not spend $1500 on Recaros.
I last had this in 2002 so it's been a while...

the problem with S14 seats is that the car itself was meant to be more "luxurious", so the seats had more padding.
It was definitely lower than S13 seats, but I think it was more of how the seat hugged you instead of making your back feel like shit.

S15 padding was firm and the contour felt better overall. R32/33 seats were good but the age often made them inferior.

S15 seats in S13:

S14 vs S15:

S13/14/15:
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #16
RWiggum

Clutch & Exhaust

My clutch started slipping and although I didn't want to be pulling the transmission in the first 500 miles of ownership, I think it was my fault for switching to synthetic oil and exacerbating a rear main seal oil leak. I figured the turbine outlet would be easier to install with the transmission out, so I tackled exhaust too.

Takeaways:
  • Re-installing the transmission alone sucks, even after lowering the front subframe, loosening engine mounts, and jacking up the front of the engine
  • The Tomei turbine outlet o2 sensor threads are for the later "large" sensors, I had to find an adapter. Ran out of patience researching whether the large sensor would work if wired it in.
  • Clutch pedal adjustment is tougher than I thought. Following the factory procedure seemed to make shifting harder. Should there be any play in the slave cylinder actuator rod? Mine is very tight.
  • From stock to adding the turbine outlet, downpipe, and test pipe, the car gained almost no extra sound volume - crazy. The catback and muffler controlled 100% of volume.

Parts:
  • Competition Clutch "Red Bunny" Shout out to Sarah at Competition Clutch for telling me which parts are included in this common kit. Pressure Plate: 98630, Disc: 99688-S, Flywheel: 2-760T-CAST. She called it "stage 1.5" and it feels great, just like everyone says.
  • Short clutch line, deleted damper, bent OE hardline to fit
  • Exedy slave cyl
  • ARP flywheel bolts
  • GKtech pivot ball
  • GKTech shifter, tried a B&M first but it rattled a lot. GKTech rattles a little. The B&M is available for sale.
  • OEM rear main seal and re-sealed retainer plate
  • Tomei turbine outlet" My favorite part so far
  • Megan 3" downpipe" Chose this for having a flex section and hangar bracket. Welded an extra o2 bung for later.
  • HKS Hi-power catback + HKS silencer insert - Sound and volume is pretty good, may switch to a "stealth" style muffler later (Vibrant or the other HKS catback)

Pictures

Old 05-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #17
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Love me a two-tone! Will be fallowing this one
Old 05-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #18
nick_d_240sx
Leaky Injector

nick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymore
Very Nice! I like your thoughts about how you want to progress with it!

You in Oregon? I'm out on the Westside, maybe I'll see you around!
Old 06-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #19
RWiggum

June Update

I've gone through most of the entire car and refreshed/maintained it to a respectable state. I made a few mistakes with the incorrect mods and had to replace them a second time, but luckily everything is easy on these cars.

What's been done recently:
  • I added +40 horsepower upgrading from stock to maxing out the T25 turbo with a K&N, 3" exhaust, electronic boost controller and wideband. Instead of spiking 10.5psi and holding 9psi to redline, the car makes 15-16psi and tapers to 10psi. Dyno results are exactly what you'd expect with these mods (pic below)
  • I replaced the HKS Hi-power catback with an HKS Sport and absolutely love the subtle muffler and quiet volume.
  • Fully complete: Engine Maintenance - new fluids, filters, belts, spark plugs, bulbs, engine/trans mounts, stereo, front brakes, LSD, clutch, o2 sensors

What's next:
  • Engine mounts - I tried OE rubber but they are just too soft and pathetic. I picked up a set of JGS rubber mounts from e1_griego and will give those a try.
  • Seats - Ordering a recaro seat and bracket. Need a good Left seat, maybe s15 or whatever pops up locally
  • Wheels/Tires - I have some 17x8 and 17x9 wheels and Hankook RS4 tires, just waiting on coilovers so they don't rub the suspension
  • Suspension - The KYB shocks and lowering springs aren't terribly impressive and I know some of the suspension bushings need to be upgraded. I ordered the main adjustable arms and a few energy suspension bushings.
  • Intercooler - I ordered an ETS intercooler core and am looking forward to getting rid of the sidemount piping. The aero bumper should look pretty good with a FMIC!

Please message me if you have a Bride MO seat rail for the right seat of an s13.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #20
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I know you did a clutch recently but an s15 spec r 6sp trans and the s15 helical lsd would be rad in this car.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #21
RWiggum

I just ordered an s15 LSD yesterday after two months of waiting for Japan's shipping systems to return to normal. What's the going rate for an s15 transmission? I assume it needs some aftermarket adapters and a different driveshaft at the very least. Have you driven one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I know you did a clutch recently but an s15 spec r 6sp trans and the s15 helical lsd would be rad in this car.