Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #1
Aku777

Trader Rating: (0)
Aku777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Is this SR20 block savable?

I picked up this block not too long ago and wanted to know if it was savable? As far as I know, the previous owner blew a head gasket and melted piston #1. Here's the damage done to the sleeve.

As you can see, the cylinder wall itself is fine and the way the piston travels should be completely fine. But I'm worried about the top/edge of the sleeve & the head gasket seal. My plan was to bore the cylinder out 0.5mm, and deck the block about 0.2mm along with the head which should leave me needing a 1.5mm head gasket. I will be calling a few local machine shops tomorrow (when they open) so I can ask about this.

So, I have a few questions.

1: Is this block savable, and am I completely fine just decking & boring the block? Or would I need to pay over a thousand dollars to completely re-sleeve it? Do I need an entirely new block? If there are other options, please let me know what they are & what the pricing would be.

2: Would the head gasket seal perfectly at all, even after decking? My main concern is that when the piston is traveling upwards, it'd apply compression on the bottom side of the head gasket through the pitting on the sleeve and then the compression would leak through.

Thank you in advance for any input! I really need help on this.

(looking from the preview: sorry, don't know how to resize images at all)
Aku777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What power level are you aiming for? If the block is virgin(never been cut) you should be ok cleaning that up. Once it is cleaned up, you may be left with a slight amount of detonation damage there. The HG should seal as it is .25-.5mm back from the edge.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
It very much depends on how deep that is. I have a block that looked similar and it needs sleeving.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
Aku777

Trader Rating: (0)
Aku777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
It very much depends on how deep that is. I have a block that looked similar and it needs sleeving.
Yeah I bit the bullet and just picked up a new block for $150, not sure if I over payed but it sure beats getting it resleeved!

Thanks for the help
Aku777 is offline   Reply With Quote