Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
jamanrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Better Cooling Solution

Hey guys I live in the south and it gets super hot and super humid. I have an s14 sr20det running 19 lbs of boost and during the fall and winter it does not get hot nor run over 78 degrees Celsius. Since it has been getting hotter. I have noticed that my A/C is not getting as cool as I think it should. I run two cheap ebay electric fans on the front of my radiator. I have bought the original s14 shroud for use with the mechanical fan and am thinking about switching back. I know some people have said the electric fans work best but most professional drifters run OG mechanical fans on their cars. I will continue to use a condenser electric fan wired up to my inside dash so I can cool it off. I need some ideas to take care of this.

Can anyone that runs mechanical fans now with the shroud chime in as to how much better they cool than the electronic ones? I really need to come up with a better cooling solution than what I have and am in need of some help. I am not interested in a big debate on what I run and how I should do something else. I basically want to know from people who have ran electronic fans then switched back to the mechanical / shroud combo and how much better or worse it cooled off the engine.

thank you very much
jamanrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
pidass
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
pidass is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Are you asking about the A/C or the engine temps?

If you're A/C isn't as cold as it used to you may need to recharge it with freon and add dye just in case there is a leak.

Engine temps it may be worth while to upgrade to altima fans which should be better than the cheapo ebay stuff. May even be cheaper if you have a pull-a-part near you.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidass View Post
Are you asking about the A/C or the engine temps?

If you're A/C isn't as cold as it used to you may need to recharge it with freon and add dye just in case there is a leak.

Engine temps it may be worth while to upgrade to altima fans which should be better than the cheapo ebay stuff. May even be cheaper if you have a pull-a-part near you.

ok this is not what I asked. I asked for people WHO have ran electronic fans and switched back the mechanical. How well did they work as compared to the others. Altima fans are not that great. I use to run them. If the mechanical combo does not work then I will probably try some flexalite big fans.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
My buddy has the flexilite fans with the optional fan controller... S blades too.. Those things cool temps like no other... its good stuff and has a built in shroud to give maximum cooling.

Personally I love mechanicals because they cool at the right rate. Faster the engine the faster the cooling... its 1:1... Whereas electronics not so much, it cools when it hits a temp and cools more when it hits another temp with a second fan.... Electronics also give you more space... but yeah I love mechs 19 PSI on a built GT2871R close to 400PSI... but vented hood and aftermarket bumpers and correct cooling panels really help too!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
I don’t think it gets as hot out there as it does out here. During the summer its 120+ deg out here. I run the OEM clutch type fan with A/C and 12lbs on a t28r and my motor never goes above 210 degrees ferinheight. You could go clutch fan and you should be good. But if you like E-Fans I would go with a set 12'' puller fans with a fan shroud.

My friend has FAL E-Fans and he bitches about his motor running an little hot on hot days with his ac on.

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13bdafocker View Post
I don’t think it gets as hot out there as it does out here. During the summer its 120+ deg out here. I run the OEM clutch type fan with A/C and 12lbs on a t28r and my motor never goes above 210 degrees ferinheight. You could go clutch fan and you should be good. But if you like E-Fans I would go with a set 12'' puller fans with a fan shroud.

My friend has FAL E-Fans and he bitches about his motor running an little hot on hot days with his ac on.

yeah thanks guys. I know it is two different systems. My condenser is dirty as hell which is not flowing air over it like it should. My a/c is cool and the compresser engages but it does not blow as cold as it should. I will change everything over to the mechancial fan. I will replace the electronic fans with one electronic s blade fal or flex a lite fan with another shroud for the a/c compressor hopefully this will get it the air that it needs. If this does not fix it then I will have to have it leak tested. There has to be a way to keep engine coolant temps under 90 degrees Celsius.

It is hard as hell to live everyday here with a car without A/C but I do have a back up car or another daily driver unmodified.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
My buddy has the flexilite fans with the optional fan controller... S blades too.. Those things cool temps like no other... its good stuff and has a built in shroud to give maximum cooling.

Personally I love mechanicals because they cool at the right rate. Faster the engine the faster the cooling... its 1:1... Whereas electronics not so much, it cools when it hits a temp and cools more when it hits another temp with a second fan.... Electronics also give you more space... but yeah I love mechs 19 PSI on a built GT2871R close to 400PSI... but vented hood and aftermarket bumpers and correct cooling panels really help too!

this is what I run around 400psi on a GT2871r. Mech uses mechanical fans? Do you know what kinda of temps he runs? thanks

I looked at it again and I think this is what I am going to do. My FMIC covers 75 percent of my condenser and radiator. So it is not getting good flow through the condenser and radiator. I will be using the mechanical fan and then add a pusher type fan on the condenser. That way it will push air through the condenser from the outside air so you will have the mechanical fan drawing air from the front of the radiator and the condenser fan pushing air through the condenser and into the radiator thus feeding it more outside air that it can not get due to the restriction in flow from the front of the car with the Inter-cooler in the way. this should work I hope.

Last edited by jamanrr; 06-02-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: update
Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanrr View Post
this is what I run around 400psi on a GT2871r. Mech uses mechanical fans? Do you know what kinda of temps he runs? thanks

I looked at it again and I think this is what I am going to do. My FMIC covers 75 percent of my condenser and radiator. So it is not getting good flow through the condenser and radiator. I will be using the mechanical fan and then add a pusher type fan on the condenser. That way it will push air through the condenser from the outside air so you will have the mechanical fan drawing air from the front of the radiator and the condenser fan pushing air through the condenser and into the radiator thus feeding it more outside air that it can not get due to the restriction in flow from the front of the car with the Inter-cooler in the way. this should work I hope.

This is what i was thinking after i hit post. My FMIC also takes up 75% the only fix i can see is getting the PBM High Mount. When was the last time you had your A/C charged?

I hope you get it fixed

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
After my clutch fan flew apart on my old 240 (KA24DE) late at night driving home from work, and left me stranded, I vowed from that day forward I would never return to the clutch fan. Bought Altima fans and wired them up to ignition on and I've yet to have a cooling problem. I have 75% distilled water, 20% coolant and like 5% water wetter lol.

ps. I wouldn't run your fans always on unless its a summer car like mine. Whenever the temp dips below 50F, in the garage it stays
Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13bdafocker View Post
This is what i was thinking after i hit post. My FMIC also takes up 75% the only fix i can see is getting the PBM High Mount. When was the last time you had your A/C charged?

I hope you get it fixed

Alright well I drove the car this evening and the air con was cold again. It was not ICE cold but cold enough to make my cheeks cold like good ac does. I think when it gets super hot like 100 degrees with 100 humidity all ac can only do so much but my fans are not cooling the radiator and condenser enough. Instead it is pushing hot air around the engine bay and losing all kinds of efficiency. I will do my fan swap to see if I can not get the engine to cool better and do an ac fan on the radiator or the condenser. I will then get the a/c topped off with freon and hope all is good again.

Last edited by jamanrr; 06-02-2010 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: changed
Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
handinpants
FreshColdBeer.com

Trader Rating: (48)
handinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to handinpants
i have to chime in regarding the ac, at 100 degrees, it can only cool soo much, and we are pissed and hot already, that the weaksauce "cold air" that comes out, always feels like it is not cold enough, but come night time it gets better

handinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

got the viscous clutch fan back on. it moves a hella lot more air 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity it never went above 83 degrees C or 181 degrees F which is good. It looks like a lot better plus the rolling idle is gone. It idles better. I will add the shroud soon and bet it can do even better. Clutch fan FTW
Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
K I'm confused by your whole post as far as what you're trying to achive. Are you trying to keep your engine temp down or your AC to work better?!?! Those are 2 completely different animals.

If you want to get your AC to run cooler, have a shop check your freon out, better yet, get the whole thing serviced. See if everything is good, make sure your condenser is not clogged.

If your engine temp doesnt get that high, your AC running shitty isnt because you dont have enough airflow cooling down the rad and condenser.

My car is opposite of yours. It creeps up to 100 during the summer when i'm stuck in traffic with the AC. I have a Greddy Rad with a FAL twin on it, an R33 pusher fan in front of the condenser and billion thermostat with 5 holes on it, my shit still runs hot in the summer. I'm planning on going back to the stock shroud/mech fan setup. Hopefully itll push my temp down then...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
K I'm confused by your whole post as far as what you're trying to achive. Are you trying to keep your engine temp down or your AC to work better?!?! Those are 2 completely different animals.

If you want to get your AC to run cooler, have a shop check your freon out, better yet, get the whole thing serviced. See if everything is good, make sure your condenser is not clogged.

If your engine temp doesnt get that high, your AC running shitty isnt because you dont have enough airflow cooling down the rad and condenser.

My car is opposite of yours. It creeps up to 100 during the summer when i'm stuck in traffic with the AC. I have a Greddy Rad with a FAL twin on it, an R33 pusher fan in front of the condenser and billion thermostat with 5 holes on it, my shit still runs hot in the summer. I'm planning on going back to the stock shroud/mech fan setup. Hopefully itll push my temp down then...
I bet in your environment with the stock clutch fan and shroud you will run 10 degrees cooler. I am going to get my front bumper repainted, get my greddy front lip installed, pull the shity electric fans off my radiator, install factory sr20det s14 shroud, clean the condenser really good, buy a syclone pusher fan and place it on front of the condenser, then put everything back together, and get the a/c serviced just to make sure it has no leaks or will blow colder. I looked at the factory service manual and it states at 100 degrees the factory a/c should blow 81 ish degrees. That is not very cold for that ambient temperature. Maybe nothing wrong with the a/c at all.

There is a day and night difference between what the clutch fan blows and what any electric fan ever could. It would take a 350 horsepower electric fan to equal it. LOL

from what i understand as well, if you flow more air over your condenser, it will make the a/c cooler as well as pull more air through the radiator. Effective cooling and efficient a/c operation go hand in hand. As long as everything is fully function in your a/c system.

Last edited by jamanrr; 06-09-2010 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: update
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Then do some ducting?
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
get a condenser sprayer lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Right now I am running the clutch fan no shroud with the two electric fans in 100 degree F heat it does not go above 180 ish degrees F-- love it.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The best setup is to run a clutch/viscous fan and a shroud.

I'd say run that as long as you can until your setup doesn't allow you to. Then of course you will have no choice but to run an e-fan.

Running a clutch/viscous fan without running a shroud is just a waste. The ducting is what helps make it so efficient.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #19
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
I went back to an S14 shroud/clutch fan with the S14 efan, also running an R33 pusher in front of the AC condenser. I still have my FAL fan controller, so I'm running the S14 Efan thats inside the shroud to it.

Only issue I got right now is that my Defi water temp sensor is being iffy. Keeps reading around 60 degrees when the water temp is actually around 78 according to the PFC.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I went back to an S14 shroud/clutch fan with the S14 efan, also running an R33 pusher in front of the AC condenser. I still have my FAL fan controller, so I'm running the S14 Efan thats inside the shroud to it.

Only issue I got right now is that my Defi water temp sensor is being iffy. Keeps reading around 60 degrees when the water temp is actually around 78 according to the PFC.

a lot cooler though right? Do you notice a huge difference with the pusher condenser fan on your setup for the a/c? does it make it blow cooler air out? I have thought about doing that but the factory option was to use a small Efan on the radiator pulling air through the condenser for the a/c.

Last edited by jamanrr; 06-12-2010 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: fix
Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #21
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Well, today was pretty hot and my car stayed around 78-82 with the AC on. I wont really know till I start tracking it. Usually with my old setup, it would hit 100-105 in less than 10 mins of being out there.

The biggest thing I noticed after I put everything back on was how much air I can feel being pulled into the front. Definitely alot more air getting sucked in. AC definitely felt alot colder, specially once I turn on the 2nd Efan thats inside the shroud.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #22
tre4s13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
tre4s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tre4s13 Send a message via Yahoo to tre4s13
altima fans + thermo/fan switch > flexalittle > mechanical fan
Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #23
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre4s13 View Post

says the rookie. No they are not. I ran them for around 6 months and Altima fans do not cool as well. way to TROLL,
Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #24
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre4s13 View Post
Been there, done that...wanna know whats better than Altima fans??? FD RX-7 fans...fans built to cool down rotaries that are hotter than anything nissan has.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #25
stunnaben
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
stunnaben is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanrr View Post
says the rookie. No they are not. I ran them for around 6 months and Altima fans do not cool as well. way to TROLL,
Homeboy's not trolling.... I know him, he knows what he's talking about. His car runs COLD as shit... it has a hard time staying warm..... kidding but seriously his car I don't think has the potential to overheat. He starts his car and it sounds like a damn jet cutting on with the fans blowing.
stunnaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaben View Post
Homeboy's not trolling.... I know him, he knows what he's talking about. His car runs COLD as shit... it has a hard time staying warm..... kidding but seriously his car I don't think has the potential to overheat. He starts his car and it sounds like a damn jet cutting on with the fans blowing.

I am familiar with the Altima fans. I ran them and they do work better than the 12 inch electronic fans that I run on the radiator but when I switched back to the clutch fan. The whole engine bay feels a lot cooler than it was. It flows a lot more air and I do not even have the shroud on it yet. I will be doing some work soon. It will be interesting to see how much cooler I can get it. 90-100 degrees C is running too warm for what I want.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #27
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaben View Post
That isn't a good thing.

An engine that is too cold will cause damage, just as much as one overheating.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #28
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I run the FAL duals on my coupe and never have problems here in georgia.
Good package to get the fans w/ shroud and included thermostatic controller box thingy ;p.

I only upgrade once my clutch fan exploded and clutch was dead neways.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Btw, are there any other fan blades to be had for the stock setup?

Just curious. Sorry to thread jack.
nismoracingsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #29
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Well, today was pretty hot and my car stayed around 78-82 with the AC on. I wont really know till I start tracking it. Usually with my old setup, it would hit 100-105 in less than 10 mins of being out there.

The biggest thing I noticed after I put everything back on was how much air I can feel being pulled into the front. Definitely alot more air getting sucked in. AC definitely felt alot colder, specially once I turn on the 2nd Efan thats inside the shroud.

yeah cool. What kind of cfm is that electronic rad fan pulling? I have everything pulled apart and am looking at it. Going with the NISMO thermostat, clutch fan shroud combo and can not decide how to do the electronic a/c fan. I think the best design would be to use it by placing it within the clutch fan shroud. That way it is sucking cool air through the radiator and condenser at the same time. I do not really like having it wired up to the a/c so I can control it with a switch in the cabin. That way I get cooling when the car is off but using the switch. The only thing is the a/c fan only flows 980 cfm is that enough to work as an a/c fan or should I get something higher. I have some cheap fans that say they flow 1500 cfm but I really do not believe that -- there needs to be some industry standard.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #30
ejmetcalf

Trader Rating: (0)
ejmetcalf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i believe in my a/c class (and this was a while back) they said a good a/c would cool a cabin temp by 20 degrees

also had a question for your fan clutch lovers can you feel any power loss when it kicks in?
reason is when i was running the old ka24e the fan clutch exploded on me one day so i got a 14in e fan had to cut it down to fit on the radiator but the point is it felt like i had a lot less drag on the engine and i could mantain 120mph
ejmetcalf is offline   Reply With Quote