Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #61
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
b4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i checked about fuel and the car is geting fuel ove 45ps1 the sparkplug smells like gas. spark is an other thing. when i took out my spark plug the car sounded like it was about to fire, and the spark plug was not firing. i checked it with a metter and it has 5v going to each one. could all my coil pack be bad. could this just be a bad cas. the guy i got the engine from on this website says that the cas should be good after all he just took it out from his car not to long ago.
b4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #62
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
One way to find out if your getting spark and this is how I do it, is to:
1. Find a friend
2. Pull fuel pump fuse
3. Pull a coil out but leave it plugged in, insert a spark plug into coil, hold it close to bare metal on the car but don't touch it to the car, have friend turn car over like he's trying to start it, and watch for the spark.
It's the best way I've found to make sure spark plugs are firing. If you already knew this then my bad, if not then you learned something new. It just sucks because you need a pal and they are not always around. Unless you have a remote start, then you can be your own best friend and tell yourself jokes while you work and get pissed at yourself when you fuck something up.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #63
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

already did this idea lol. im stumped right now. only thing that i can think of is that i have the wrong harness and will need to start depining shit and get it to were it goes but thats the last thing on my list. another member just told me to check compression if its good then take off fuel rail and check that.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #64
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well you definitely need to make sure you're not flooding your cylinders due to a leaky injector o-ring. You can pull your dip stick and see if it smells like fuel, or pull the rail and injectors to make sure non of the lower o-rings came unseated when you inserted them. If that is the case, it would be a good idea, actually a neccesary idea to pull the fuel pump fuse anyway and give it a couple of dry start priming cycles for like 15 seconds or so, just to let those oil sprayers lube everything back up. You should do that any time the motor has sat for over a week without being started IMO.
So when you checked for spark, were you seeing spark on any of the plugs, or just a couple or just 1? You didn't say. If they are not firing, some contributing factors you could try would be to unplug the connections to your coil packs, the coil pack harness, and the ignitor and spray them with an electrical cleaner, any auto parts store will carry it for a few bucks. I notice sometimes when I unplug the ignitor and plug it back in, the car will misfire because I did not fully seat the plugs into the ignitor. The first time it happened that one stumped me for an hour. Might also be a good idea to go pick up a few extra sets of spark plugs just in case you continue to have flooding problems. Fouled plugs are the source of many headaches and often overlooked. Hope any of this helping, I want to see this pig fire up and snort.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #65
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

cool thanks i will try all these ideas on monday because we are having a graduation party 2maro. thanks and well update when i get the chance. if anyone else has ideas plz post thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #66
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4l View Post
it was coil number 4 or the one closest to the radiator. that coil was burning hot when i tryed to turn it on and then it melted

No offense man, but I think you are in over your head if you don't know the proper cylinder locations.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #67
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
No offense man, but I think you are in over your head if you don't know the proper cylinder locations.
Ha look i could get all tech sawy and put shit from fsm, but ant nobody have time for that. so if your going to say something like that plz keep it in your head and unsubsribe to this thread.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #68
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
lol being tech savy is calling componets what they really are?

if you go to a mechanic and tell him to replace the #4 coil pack and when you really need #1 replaced and shit still doesnt work right, im pretty sure your gonna wish you were "tech savy".
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote