Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
S14 Kouki Build #3 - Restomod, JDM Aero, Clean and Classy.

For the sake of documenting this particular build, I wanted to stick with Zilvia considering how much information this forum has provided me with over the years. It still feels nice to browse through peoples builds/restorations, pick up some ideas and definitely gain some inspiration along the way.

There's a long story involving the red Kouki build I had previously made a thread on and is ultimately the reason why we decided to move onto building this one. (My biggest excuse is that the red Kouki is a sunroof chassis and I am very much anti-sunroof on these cars.)

This was an interesting pick up. My brother and I were driving back from a quick (14 hour) unrelated round trip drive to San Francisco when we came across the post for this Kouki. What stood out to me the most was that it was a completely straight frame '97 Kouki slick top.

The car was in pieces. The all too common "let's start this build and go all out! oooh...what's that over there" that I am definitely guilty of myself.

Bad habits are hard to break unfortunately. I read the parts list, saw the price, and after a lengthy conversation with the owner, we got ready for the trip to Vegas the very next day.

After meeting with the owner and going over every last bit of the car and his now abandoned plans, we pulled the trigger, loaded the car up, loaded up several parts storage containers, and spent the rest of the evening in Vegas before heading back home.

Once we got the car back home, there were several rare bits that came with it that really stood out to me. Queue me going down a rabbit hole for several hours and eventually finding out who originally owned and built this car several years back. My mind was blown!

Come to find out an old Zilvia member from Arizona originally purchased this car all stock and slowly built it up from there.

What really threw me off was that the new owner in Vegas decided to sell off the entire OEM front end, OEM aero, and was damn near ready to cut up the rear quarter panels in place of Origin 75MM overfenders on a car that didn't warrant them. Everyone has their own tastes and personal preferences, but damn. He had planned on an all-out track style build with the crazy widebody, GT wing, "stanced out", etc. I don't mind the all-out look on an actual track car, but it would have been a shame to have gone through with it on a '97 Kouki slicktop of all S-chassis.

Now, onto the work. As I mentioned earlier, the car came with a ton of parts. A lot of which wouldn't be used on this particular build. Commence the sales to bring the overall cost of this car down.

You can get a better idea of what base I would be starting off with. The Vegas owner aside from selling off almost everything exterior related had also decided to cut out the engine bay tubs and removed every last bit of seam sealer for stitch welding. I would have preferred the factory tubs, but going custom isn't a big deal especially with the end result I'm aiming for.

As anyone who has ever built a car from the ground up would know, storage space is vital when it comes to any tear down / rebuild. My biggest problem (err...bad habit) is hanging onto a lot of cars and parts. I wanted to free up some space in storage, but at the same time ensure that I had every last bit that I needed for this particular car before selling off a lot of the extras.

I went ahead and did a temporary mock up interior install.

The dash that originally came with the car was cracked and several interior pieces were either missing or damaged. I replaced everything with the cleanest panels I could find and made sure to use the correct bolts/hardware along the way.

Again, keeping in mind that this is a temporary install. I do have quite a bit planned interior wise and will be going away from the typical Bride gradiation seats and panel inserts. If you have seen any of the Singer Porsche builds, a lot of my interior inspiration will be coming from them.

Moving onto the exterior. I had come across a completely stock/original '97 Kouki at auction that had been rear ended pretty bad. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I missed out on bidding and was only able to see the car sell live (at a more than fair price, too).

Several days later, a friend of mine reaches out and sends me an offer up link. Lo and behold, it was the same wrecked '97 Kouki. The mark up price was nuts considering the condition, but after some back and forth, I decided to reach out to the seller. We worked out a deal and now comes home the perfect donor chassis.

The extent of the damage was severe. The entire trunk area was trashed, the obvious quarter panel, and the frame would have needed extensive work for it to have been saved. I ran it by a few close friends and discussed an attempt to save it, but the cost of labor alone would have far exceeded the cost of the car or what they actually fetch these days.

A sad day for a rare starfire blue Kouki. What made it sting some more was that somewhere along the line they had installed a crappy aftermarket sunroof. I kept the donor front end, sideskirts, and a few miscellaneous pieces. The rest was sold to locals and plenty of out of state folks.

Now the Kouki was coming together. I picked up new JDM bumpers through Corner 3 Motorsports in Laguna Hills (thanks John!), my OEM Kouki wing came in from Japan, and temp rollers were thrown on. Everything is temporarily installed to verify fitment before the body work begins.

The OEM lip was thrown on along with the valances and a mock up install of the Reinhard exhaust. A problem I've encountered with Reinhard is that due to how big the dual tips are, it rubs up against the JDM bumper causing it to melt/burn. We will be addressing this later on to ensure that the exhaust doesn't end up damaging the bumper down the line.

Being fairly content with the overall panel fitment on the exterior, I moved onto the engine bay.

The plan with the engine bay is tubs, shaving any unnecessary holes, and just tidying up whatever I can. The goal is to have a nice weekend car, not just an over the top garage queen / show car. I want it to look nice, presentable and have it be practical as well.

The engine was kept from a car I owned a few years back. A very well built 400+HP S14 SR20DET running a Full Race twin scroll manifold, Garret GTX3076R, and lots of other goodies.

Same as the interior and exterior goes, this is a mock up install. Considering we are very much in the planning stage, we wanted to decide what stays and what goes. We are definitely keeping the AC system on this build. It's something I overlooked early on with other builds and I regret having done so.

This brings us up to date. We have decided where we will be mounting up an oil catch can, power steering reservoir, and coolant overflow tank. Other than a few minor mock ups, the next step is shaving and tubs. A close friend of mine is an excellent welder/fabricator and will be working with me on these next few steps. Custom intercooler piping will be made once the tubs are in.

I'm committed to making progress on these cars now more than ever. We are now on the tail-end of a pretty hectic year and this hobby definitely helps keep me grounded.

Here's to hoping my kids appreciate my car and parts hoarding insanity once they're older. Haha

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Saved for future updates.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

#2 Saved for future updates.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

#3 saved for future updates.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Post#5 Saved for future reactions.

<3 the progress you're making on this one, sir.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looks like this is going to be a clean build man! Super envious of all your great condition interior panels.

I recently joined the socal s chassis facebook page after getting my 240 shipped out here from FL where it has sat for the last 5 years. I've seen a few of your for sale posts there

Do you have any source on those kouki rear valances?
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
S14_Sak

Trader Rating: (0)
S14_Sak is a jewel in the roughS14_Sak is a jewel in the roughS14_Sak is a jewel in the roughS14_Sak is a jewel in the roughS14_Sak is a jewel in the roughS14_Sak is a jewel in the roughS14_Sak is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very nice progress! What's the specs of the te37?
S14_Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
spitfiredc7

Trader Rating: (1)
spitfiredc7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thank you for continuing to use forums to document this stuff.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
-kenny-
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
-kenny- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can’t wait for this one
-kenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
<3 the progress you're making on this one, sir.
Now let's focus on keeping Zilvia alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Looks like this is going to be a clean build man! Super envious of all your great condition interior panels.

I recently joined the socal s chassis facebook page after getting my 240 shipped out here from FL where it has sat for the last 5 years. I've seen a few of your for sale posts there

Do you have any source on those kouki rear valances?
I used to have better sources back in the day, but ever since the market became overly saturated by third party vendors / brokers, it's been easier to stick with them. Demand is at an all time high for OEM aero bits and unfortunately for anyone just starting out with an S-chassis, availability is low which is causing pricing to be quite high. All I can really recommend is checking YAJ daily and using Buyee or someone like Jesse Streeter or GetJPN to help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_Sak View Post
Very nice progress! What's the specs of the te37?
Thanks! The TE37SL's are 17x9.5 +12 upfront. These came with a recent roller and because I've always liked the gray/polished combo, I'm stuck with having to source a matching 18x10.5 +15 pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfiredc7 View Post
Thank you for continuing to use forums to document this stuff.
Honestly, my main reason for it is because of how toxic Facebook groups have become. I prefer structure and constructive criticism as opposed to the never ending shit-posting you see on there. I always loved forums with one specific thread dedicated to an entire build and the stories that come with them.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
BryanS14
Leaky Injector

BryanS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great looking car. No rust, very jealous. What about the other builds? Long live the forum builds, I check here daily. I hate how hard it is to follow builds on fb.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #12
Benfica7
Leaky Injector

Benfica7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your build threads are like binge-watching a new show - I love it!

Thank you for posting these on Zilvia, as you and others have said, Facebook is an awful place to be a car enthusiast. (Back in my days, we had forums!)
Benfica7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #13
dhsil80
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
dhsil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post

I used to have better sources back in the day, but ever since the market became overly saturated by third party vendors / brokers, it's been easier to stick with them. Demand is at an all time high for OEM aero bits and unfortunately for anyone just starting out with an S-chassis, availability is low which is causing pricing to be quite high. All I can really recommend is checking YAJ daily and using Buyee or someone like Jesse Streeter or GetJPN to help out.

Thanks! The TE37SL's are 17x9.5 +12 upfront. These came with a recent roller and because I've always liked the gray/polished combo, I'm stuck with having to source a matching 18x10.5 +15 pair.

Honestly, my main reason for it is because of how toxic Facebook groups have become. I prefer structure and constructive criticism as opposed to the never ending shit-posting you see on there. I always loved forums with one specific thread dedicated to an entire build and the stories that come with them.

another great build to look forward to, the car looks familiar, I think that I bought parts off this car.......
dhsil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #14
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
You know it.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #15
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanS14 View Post
Great looking car. No rust, very jealous. What about the other builds? Long live the forum builds, I check here daily. I hate how hard it is to follow builds on fb.
The other cars/builds are still here. I have stories for days. Blue kouki was put on the back burner due to literally zero workspace. I try my best to keep everything clean and organized, but it's definitely hard to manage when you have 8 project cars in various stages in the build process. Unfortunately, I ran out of storage space and had to start stacking stuff up in crates around the blue S14. Moving everything in and out of the garage to work on the car was too much of a headache. Instead, I focused on selling whatever spare parts I really had no use for and doing mock up installs like I am on this white Kouki.

The white RHD Silvia is still here. Engine bay issues that were poorly executed forced me to redo the entire thing. I will have updates on that one soon.

My hatch...damn, I feel bad for that car. Now that I have more time to work on these cars, I'm pushing to get around to that car this coming year.

JIC Track S14 is here. A few odds and ends that need to be sorted, but otherwise is the closest to being completed.

R34 is waiting on a few last pieces before I begin the OEM GTR panel fitment.

Stock Zenki S14 that I'm keeping kinda low-key. That build will be up in the coming months.

All in all, 8 projects total that I will actually have updates on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica7 View Post
Your build threads are like binge-watching a new show - I love it!

Thank you for posting these on Zilvia, as you and others have said, Facebook is an awful place to be a car enthusiast. (Back in my days, we had forums!)
Thanks for reading!

Yeah, I was very much against Facebook for several years until I eventually caved in order to continue clearing out some of my parts. Other than using it for the marketplace, I avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsil80 View Post
another great build to look forward to, the car looks familiar, I think that I bought parts off this car.......
I'm still curious as to where everything ended up. It was such a nice car to begin with apart from the minimal body damage from the AZ owner. I'm just glad I was able to piece it back together.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 12-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #16
relaxamigo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
relaxamigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sucks they hacked the engine bay up like that, but the metal looks to be in awesome condition and ripe for a clean tub install. Looking forward to seeing this thing progress. I think I actually have a few parts on my hatch from you!
relaxamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #17
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
woohoo! More bomb-diggity build threads from Crimson!

I love your builds and they inspire me to be as attentive in my builds as you are in yours. I cant wait for the next update(s)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #18
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

iwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfection
Quote:
Saved for future updates.
I literally logged on zilvia for the first time in a year to see updates... werewaiting.gif
Old 01-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #19
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
I love you johnny, you're the only person taking longer than ME to finish a build!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #20
OaxKouki
Leaky Injector

OaxKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
I really like the direction this build is going, gives me some motivation to work on my 97 kouki that has been sitting for the last 4ish years.
OaxKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #21
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I think members seeing anything with your name gives them a hard on for sure.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #22
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxamigo View Post
Sucks they hacked the engine bay up like that, but the metal looks to be in awesome condition and ripe for a clean tub install. Looking forward to seeing this thing progress. I think I actually have a few parts on my hatch from you!
I will give him credit for that. He did an excellent job at cleaning up and removing all of the old seam sealer and prepping it for welding. Although he did have a completely different plan and direction for this car, fortunately it wasn't too far gone in that direction that I couldn't work with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
woohoo! More bomb-diggity build threads from Crimson!

I love your builds and they inspire me to be as attentive in my builds as you are in yours. I cant wait for the next update(s)
Fingers crossed that I actually complete this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwas-all* View Post
I literally logged on zilvia for the first time in a year to see updates... werewaiting.gif
Gabe, I'll DM you directly to let you know when you need to log on again. I'd say sometime around 2023. Hahaha

Quote:
I love you johnny, you're the only person taking longer than ME to finish a build!
Haha, yeah. It was always priorities for me. House purchase when I was younger, getting married, having kids and focusing on my family relationships after leaving my fairly toxic job at Toyota.

The biggest reason for the delays on my red Hatch when I was younger was that I felt my technical/mechanical skills weren't up to par for the type of build/restoration I had in mind. Now, the knowledge is there and the next hurdle is freeing up space or buying a commercial spot to store everything in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaxKouki View Post
I really like the direction this build is going, gives me some motivation to work on my 97 kouki that has been sitting for the last 4ish years.
Don't be like me and let your cars sit for years on end.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #23
OaxKouki
Leaky Injector

OaxKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Don't be like me and let your cars sit for years on end.

I made it my new years resolution that I'll have it registered and back on road this year!
OaxKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #24
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
You've always had the cleanest and tastefully put together S-chassis, doc.
Looking forward to yet another in your long line-up of quality slabs!
Old 01-19-2021, 07:03 PM   #25
-kenny-
Zilvia Member

-kenny- is an unknown quantity at this point
I already respect the way you mods your cars. Kinda keep it simple but tastefully mods.
-kenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #26
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
OEM restomods are the best IMO. Enjoy seeing your progress on these.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote