Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A trip down memory lane: Old 240SX Reviews

Motor Week recently posted these videos online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec8WKVEypkc
^ 1989 NISSAN 240SX Fastback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2wz6oV9sSU
^ 1989 comparison between:
- NISSAN 240SX Fastback
- Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
- Ford Probe GT

Funny how to me, the Probe and Laser are junk cars. Plymouth what? Ford huh? Barf.

Seeing the 240SX in stock form move through the cones or brake, is depressing. I mean, its the reason why we all modify these cars.. so they dont behave like they did STOCK. Makes me wonder why anyone would want to be a "purist" and keep these cars stock. Its miserable. Oh, the undersized brakes, wheels and tires... ah, the wonderful auto seatbelts that choke you when closing and so often get stuck, jamming and pinning you into the seat. Even through all the bullshit, our cars simplicity is its saving grace. Inexpensive, basic, RWD...

Makes me wonder WHAT THE FUCK all these idiots are doing hoonigan, hellaflushing, aintcaring... fucking moroning our cars into the automotive graveyard. Cant people build these cars with a bit of pride anymore?

/rant
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Car and Driver posted this, too:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Jeeze 90's styling was so terrible.
I need that leather blazer so bad though.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Motortrend really nailed it. Basically all it had going for it was rwd. My god the sohc sounds so bad even when new, too.

I blame superstreet for starting the flat black, junkyard engine swap, spraypaint don't care mentality with their silvia project car in 2005 or so. While it wasn't terrible by current standards, it set the bar pretty damn low.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Hilariously, Dave Coleman's car was actually used on the track, not just some parking lot drift slut.

Motoiq had a follow-up article about it: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ct-silvia.aspx

And more: http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Nissan/Silvia.aspx
Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cool post, it is funny imagining these things coming out new from the factory. I remember my dad picking up a Z31 and I thought it was the best thing ever.

Using http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....990&year2=2014 , the 240SX sold for around $13499 in 1990, which equates to around $24,584 now. Interesting to put into perspective. The FRS really isnt too far off.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Except the FRS can get bent.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Rocket Bunny too.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
What is the 'junkyard swap' that the Project Silvia keeps going on about? Where in the US do people find RWD SR20's in junkyards?
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Oh, fuck. I just watched these the other day... there is SOOO many awesome ones!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I wonder if there is an S14 review or better yet, a direct comparison against the S13's.... That would be cool.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
I wonder if there is an S14 review or better yet, a direct comparison against the S13's.... That would be cool.
As if s14 owners weren't snobby enough

Top gear did a quick 2min s14 review, you can find it on youtube.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #13
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
It's right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLGKV_WByYM

Granted this 200sx was a far cry from the 240sx we had in the states, but it's still fun to watch.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
It's kinda cool when I think about the fact that all of the negatives you hear about in the reviews I have addressed on my car.

Sad when I think about the rust that is starting on it though.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
As if s14 owners weren't snobby enough

Top gear did a quick 2min s14 review, you can find it on youtube.
Shit man, I hate my S14. I much prefer S13's. Accept when it comes to surviving a car wreck. Then its S14 ALL THE WAY! Yay!!!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Haha, first video looks identical to my car when I bought it.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
Chubs

Chubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Haha, first video looks identical to my car when I bought it.

clean virgin......
Chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Let's see here... which one of the three has the biggest aftermarket 24 years later and have engineers in a forum debating in a 220+ page thread over steering angle and actively sharing knowledge on how to attain the best suspension performance at the track............

s-chassis ftw!

Well I guess DSM guys have their own thing... but yuck who in the right mind would smoke meth in their spare time?
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Motortrend really nailed it. Basically all it had going for it was rwd. My god the sohc sounds so bad even when new, too.
RWD, appearance (both interior and exterior), and the thing that only revealed itself later down the road: parts cross-compatibility. This is the key ingredient as to why these cars are amazing. The SOHC was a heap, but given the circumstances... at least NISSAN nipped that in the bud and released the DOHC 2 years later. Its not like the rest of the world had this problem since they had CA/SR and (optional) turbo.

Quote:
Would be interesting. I drove the S14 when it was released and was not pleased/impressed. Maybe because I was comparing it to my fastback, which is not a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tech_Weapons View Post
Let's see here... which one of the three has the biggest aftermarket 24 years later and have engineers in a forum debating in a 220+ page thread over steering angle and actively sharing knowledge on how to attain the best suspension performance at the track............
DSM community is pretty active. The 4G63 is a good motor. Rest of the cars are shit.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

Would be interesting. I drove the S14 when it was released and was not pleased/impressed. Maybe because I was comparing it to my fastback, which is not a fair comparison.
Every time I drive an S14 I say to myself... "Hmm, feels much safer than my S13, but also feels less sporty and ultimately less fun."
Old 11-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

^ Yep. Less creaky, too. But a lot less sporty.

My biggest gripe has to do with the interior layout and for some reason, the non-sprung adjuster for the steering column really bugs me.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #22
ixfxi
Post Whore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0972wohFs

They added the JZA80 Supra Turbo the other day.

Shit. 105' stopping distance. Not bad for a pig of a car.

When comparing 90s cars, 350Z does not seem to be a worthy successor to the Z32-TT.

370Z... maybe. Dunno.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #23
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:

They added the JZA80 Supra Turbo the other day.

Shit. 105' stopping distance. Not bad for a pig of a car.
$33K in 93, damn.... What is that like $40-47K Today?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Every time I drive an S14 I say to myself... "Hmm, feels much safer than my S13, but also feels less sporty and ultimately less fun."
Precisely how I feel. I actually want to trade my S14 for another hatch every now & then...
Quote:
When comparing 90s cars, 350Z does not seem to be a worthy successor to the Z32-TT.

370Z... maybe. Dunno.
Totally agree. IMO, the 350Z was Nissan's watered down compromise since they couldn't afford to offer both the S-Chassis & the Z at that time.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #25
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
I think they also figured out they simply didn't need too.
No one else was offering a 2+2 so they said fuck it, dumped the S-chassis and moved their 2+2 into the Sport/Luxury category with the Z/G and upped the prices.
Fucking 2+2 Infinity, so lame.

I love my Z33, but the 90's magic is definitely missing.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
those fucking mk4's are pigs when it comes to fuel comsumption!!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #27
simmode1
Post Whore!

I always felt that if the Z/G had come equipped with the single turbo VQ30DET, we would not be missing the S-Chassis so much.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #28
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
Actually, it comes out to be $54,360. Remember, that was introductory pricing because by the last year the Supra was released (1998) the prices of BOTH Z32 and JZA80 had increased significantly.

Not that I'm comparing apples with apples here, but when I see people selling S-chassis cars for 6-10k *STOCK* I kinda think its silly because I purchased my `95 SC for about 7k.
S13 was a sub 20k car
95 SC sticker (which I have) was about 45k

Dollar for dollar, you get a lot more car in the used market... but yeah, its a totally different car. S13 is a sporty garbage can. SC is a luxurious garbage can.

Quote:
Totally agree. IMO, the 350Z was Nissan's watered down compromise since they couldn't afford to offer both the S-Chassis & the Z at that time.
Considering NISSAN had just gone through a huge financial pinch, the Z33 really made good sense. I mean, everything on the Z33 is practically a shared component used on some other platform - so in the end, the math works. If you ever really look closely at the Z32 parts (or S-chassis), they may look similar to parts from another model.. but they still have a lot of bespoke parts on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
those fucking mk4's are pigs when it comes to fuel comsumption!!!
I dont think its out of the ordinary. Besides, can you find me ONE performance vehicle that gets good fuel economy? Fuel economy and performance dont go hand in hand. And please, dont post any bullshit battery-box hybrid. People with their unrealistic views of how hybrids are "free mpg" fall flat when it comes time to change/service their battery.

Quote:
I always felt that if the Z/G had come equipped with the single turbo VQ30DET, we would not be missing the S-Chassis so much.
For being NA, the current VQ37VHR motors really scream - and though I dislike the V6 configuration - they actually look nice too. Still, I'm such a sucker for straight 4 motors like the SR20DET or straight 6 like the RB/JZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
Fucking 2+2 Infinity, so lame.
Dunno, I really like the G35 Coupe since it was first released. G37 Coupe... so-so. And now with all this Q-nonsense... I'm forever confused. I hope that INFINITI will get their heads out of their asses and get the old nomenclature back. Doubt it, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1BEBKkul1g

^^ damn just posted, another cool review. These guys are really hitting the nail on the head with all these old school sportscars. Someone IS listening.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #29
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post

Not even close.

$54,360 in 2014 USD.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #30
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Precisely how I feel. I actually want to trade my S14 for another hatch every now & then...

The 350Z took the best of both cars.

Most Z32s sold in the US where non-turbo. The 350Z cost less then a NA 300ZX while offering near turbo performance.

It also cost only a few hundred bucks more then the antiquated S15 turbo.

Mistubishi did the same thing with the Eclipse and 3000GT. Most people wanted the V6 big FWD 3000GT over the VR4, so when the 3rd gen eclipse came out it basically became a bash of the two cars.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote