Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
w33dnhit

Trader Rating: (0)
w33dnhit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Has anyone heard about the " garrett GT2971r " ?

Hello !

I ordered a new turbo some days ago, i originally ordered a gt2871r, but the company told me it was sold out from all of europe.. So, i had a second choice, gt2971r. They told me the fittings etc ( with .64 ar housing ) everything is exactly the same as the gt28 turbos, same early rpm boost, slightly bigger than gt2871r, and a bit more hp.. Now, do you guys think this is legit ? I tried googling gt2971r but i cant find almost any info on it... I have sendt a mail to garrett website and awaiting reply.. In the meantime i hope some of you guys can give me some info, if this is fake, as good or better than the gt2871r wich i originally wanted :/

Thank you so much for any reply !!!
w33dnhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just googled "gt2971r" and it brought up several results. Are you looking for a map or something to compare the boost qualities to the gt28?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
w33dnhit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1401 View Post
I just googled "gt2971r" and it brought up several results. Are you looking for a map or something to compare the boost qualities to the gt28?

Yeah it did bring up some, but, not nearly ANYWHERE compared to gt2971r... Also on youtube, almost no one has this :/ I know it might be the real deal, but like i just wanna know.... Is it better than the gt2871r ? like as early spoolup , or a bit later spoolup in rpm compared to 2871r ? :/

I kind of regret not buying the gtx2871r gen2.......
Old 04-10-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

So I'm not 100%, but I don't believe the "GT2971R" is an actual in-house Garrett turbo. The wording makes it sound like It is a custom built unit using a modified Garrett comp Housing. Since the comp wheel is slightly larger, I would be somewhat skeptical as to whether it is a genuine Garrett part. In my humble opinion, I would not purchase that unit until you hear from Garrett. If it is a 'custom' built turbo using Garrett parts, there is no way to know that the unit was dynamically balanced together. If it was not, then you could be looking at a turbo going bad waay sooner than it should. Another thing, since the comp is larger, you don't really know if it is similar to a Garrett wheel, therefore you don't know if it has the same weight or aero qualities, so it could very well perform quite differently than the GT28.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
w33dnhit

Quote:
So I'm not 100%, but I don't believe the "GT2971R" is an actual in-house Garrett turbo. The wording makes it sound like It is a custom built unit using a modified Garrett comp Housing. Since the comp wheel is slightly larger, I would be somewhat skeptical as to whether it is a genuine Garrett part. In my humble opinion, I would not purchase that unit until you hear from Garrett. If it is a 'custom' built turbo using Garrett parts, there is no way to know that the unit was dynamically balanced together. If it was not, then you could be looking at a turbo going bad waay sooner than it should. Another thing, since the comp is larger, you don't really know if it is similar to a Garrett wheel, therefore you don't know if it has the same weight or aero qualities, so it could very well perform quite differently than the GT28.

ohhhhhhhhhsnap man i so super hope this isnt true But , your opinion does make sense !! hmmm..... Well, i will wait and see what garrett has to say and keep my fingers crossed, cause i have already paid for the turbo like 1300 dollars and waiting for it to be delivired ( wich will take 3 weeks ) :/
Old 04-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

No way to cancel and hold out for a GT28? Seems like a big unnecessary risk for such a major purchase. I'm assuming you did all of the research on what unit you want, so you should get what you were expecting.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Where did you buy it from? Just found the 29 on ATP and they list the comp & turbine wheels as being genuine Garrett, so that is a good sign.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
w33dnhit

s13

Quote:
Where did you buy it from? Just found the 29 on ATP and they list the comp & turbine wheels as being genuine Garrett, so that is a good sign.

I bought it from gotsmoked.no , its a norwegian website ( i live in Norway ). The new owner there started there 1 month ago, it said on their website that the gt2871r was in stock, 1 day after he called me and said it wasnt in stock cause they are " updating their stock " etc and finding new companies to do business with. Also the 2971r isnt listed in their website so i think he ordered it from wherever...

Yeah that gave me a bit hope lol, but... ohsnap cant wait for a reply from garrett
Old 04-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Alright buddy, I did a deep dive on your behalf. Followed and compared part#s and finally found a Garrett wholesale spreadsheet. So the 2971 IS a genuine Garrett CHRA. It isn't a listed complete turbo, just the middle spinny boi parts, which is great?that means it's all dyn balanced.

Based on the chart, if you were expecting a .48a/r 2871, the 2971 has a ~3mm larger comp wheel on both measurements and is a .84 trim vs a .76. The turbine however has the same inducer diameter, but has a 4mm larger exducer, and only comes in a .56 trim, not a .48 trim, hence the larger exducer. That said, they should perform fairly similar, but the 29 will provide a bit more power and also spool a bit slower, but shouldn't be a noticeable difference. That's the give and take with more weight and larger surface area, you get more volume pushed and pushing, but you also generate more drag and have to move more mass. All in all, you should be good so long as the housings fit right.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
w33dnhit

s13

Quote:
Alright buddy, I did a deep dive on your behalf. Followed and compared part#s and finally found a Garrett wholesale spreadsheet. So the 2971 IS a genuine Garrett CHRA. It isn't a listed complete turbo, just the middle spinny boi parts, which is great?that means it's all dyn balanced.

Based on the chart, if you were expecting a .48a/r 2871, the 2971 has a ~3mm larger comp wheel on both measurements and is a .84 trim vs a .76. The turbine however has the same inducer diameter, but has a 4mm larger exducer, and only comes in a .56 trim, not a .48 trim, hence the larger exducer. That said, they should perform fairly similar, but the 29 will provide a bit more power and also spool a bit slower, but shouldn't be a noticeable difference. That's the give and take with more weight and larger surface area, you get more volume pushed and pushing, but you also generate more drag and have to move more mass. All in all, you should be good so long as the housings fit right.

ohhhhh thanks a bunch mate !!!!!! i super really appreciate it big time !!

Yeah i ordered it orginially with a a/r 64 trim, but dunno if its what he shipped it with. But, what u said gave me big hope mate !!
Old 04-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Glad I could help, mate! Good luck with your build!

Old 04-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
w33dnhit

Quote:
Glad I could help, mate! Good luck with your build!

Thanks a ton !!!!!!!!!