Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #61
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Turbozx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got a little done today. Not much, but getting closer to the point where I can install the motor and tranny in the car.

I look at this and still can't believe that Pstl_pete was able to get the pipes to connect to the stock C6 manifolds. It looks like an intimating task to me, but Pete has done it so there is a way. Things look worst on the driver's side.

Driver's side with the spline from where the steering column connects.

Bell housing installed

I borrowed my buddies cart to install the engine and tranny from the bottom. Just need to install the starter, dipstick, throwout bearing and tranny to the motor and install hopefully before the new year.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #62
hulkster_s13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
hulkster_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I ran into that clearence problems also. 2.5in piping is what I used to make my own down pipes.
hulkster_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #63
drscooper
Zilvia Addict

drscooper is an unknown quantity at this point
wow thats a tight fit but if there is a will there is a way!
drscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #64
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you need more photos of my downpipes just PM me. The fitment is tight but when I built them I was actually surprised that the fit as easily as they did. The passenger side is actually harder to get out since it overlaps the framerail a bit and makes it hard to get a wrench on.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #65
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
SR20PWRALTY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^I thought you also used sikky kit and that made it easier.....
SR20PWRALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #66
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Definitely subscribed to this. Back in the day, this 240 was what Broadfield's coupe is today. Still have pics on our old family Packard Bell somewhere.
shinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #67
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20PWRALTY View Post
^I thought you also used sikky kit and that made it easier.....
You are correct, I had the Sikky kit but that shouldnt matter that much. Even if his engine is a bit lower or slighty back more (though mine is as tight as it gets IMO) the routing for the piping will be pretty much the same.

If I recall correctly I used 2.25-inch piping to the first cat since that's the diameter it is then I went to 2.5-inch after the second cat.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #68
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks you for using new quality parts....one of my favorite builds now!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #69
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

I had a couple of hours to look more at the exhaust pipes coming off of the C6 Vette manifolds.

With the motor still out of the car, I was able to see things quite well and cut a section of 2.25" pipe to mock things up. It looks like it is not going to be as difficult as I thought.

The socket and extension are roughly where the steering column will be. I will verify when the motor is in the car before I tack anything in place, but it is looking ok so far.

I tried the same section of pipe on the passenger side and it looks like I might be able to get away with identical front sections. Again, I will have to wait to verify when it is in the car.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #70
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

What a couple of days. So close yet so far.

Yesterday, I installed the McLeod throughout bearing and protected the hydraulic lines.

After wrestling with the trying to install the tranny to the motor, I decided to call it a night and see what tips and tricks others have for making this install easier.

So this morning I modified some bolts to make two alignment pins.

Things work out easily such that I got the tranny and engine together finally.

I also installed the dipstick earlier. It would have been much easier if I had done this before installing the engine mounts.

Time to install the tranny mount now.

Getting ready to install the motor and tranny into the car from the bottom.

Things are looking good, but definitely it is going to be a tight fit. In fact, it ends up being too tight to fit. Damm, it is a probably 1/8" on each side. At this point, I figured one needs to pull the exhaust manifolds off to make it fit from the bottom as I recall Pstl_Pete doing. So I called it a day and figured I would pull off the manifolds later this week.

After pulling the motor and tranny out from under the car, I looked at things a bit more and think I can just grind the corner of the exhaust manifold flange and things should just slip by the frame rails. Once they are in there final position, they should be fine as they will be sitting above the frame rails. A total of a 1/4" was all I needed today.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #71
drscooper
Zilvia Addict

drscooper is an unknown quantity at this point
dammmm dude this build is insane! and yikess on that fitment lol scary!
drscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #72
jp69

jp69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Niceee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jp69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #73
surge s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
surge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
just wondering if you shimming your slave?

im also running a ACT clutch/t56 mangum and i have to now
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #74
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

[QUOTE=surge s14;5058947]just wondering if you shimming your slave?

im also running a ACT clutch/t56 mangum and i have to now [/QUOT

What slave are you running? I was a little paranoid so I remeasured everything to make sure before bolting the tranny on. How much wear do you have on the clutch now?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #75
surge s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
surge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
ive had 3 over extend and pop on me a hand me down GM slave , a RAM clutches slave, some other brand that came with the magnum

i just ordered a new GM slave and the trick performance shim set so hopefully that will take care of that

my clutch has about 10 miles on it... on 3 slaves yup sucks... just giving the heads up
Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #76
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Thats strange. I have a oem slave with the same clutch and have 0 problems. Ive probably put 200 miles and a couple of events on it this way.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #77
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Well, I finally had the time to install the motor and tranny in the car. After my last update, I slightly ground the exhaust manifold flanges on both the driver and passenger side and this gave me just enough clearance to get the flanges past the frame rails.

I just have two pictures, as I was doing this by myself and didn't have much time to take pictures until everything was done.

Front view of the oil pan. It sits about 1/8" above the bottom of the cross member.

I was starting to re-install the front suspension, but ran into some issues. The SPL tie rod kit had the wrong size nuts to lock the tie rod together. Then one of the OEM Z32 tie rods has some damaged threads so I could not reinstall the passenger side tie rod. It uses a M16x1.0 thread, which I did not have a die to repair or find one locally. Hopefully I can find one tomorrow to buy or borrow to keep moving forward.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #78
Jay Gadsby
Leaky Injector

Jay Gadsby is an unknown quantity at this point
Absolutely stunning. Very nice setup. My ultimate goal for my S14 is an LS? swap as well. thanks for the inspiration. I am looking forward to seeing the completed product. Oh, and love the Z32 btw. I sure do miss mine
Old 12-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #79
bova17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bova17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
what is your job damn...
bova17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #80
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Since the start of the new year, I have been super busy at work and just returned this weekend from a business trip to China. I have not done much work on the 240Sx since the holidays, but when I got back home, I had a couple of boxes waiting for me.

I had this huge box from Japan waiting for me and inside was a brand new never installed OEM Aero bumper. There is even the original installation instructions. The prior owner had it painted, but never got around to installing it, so when I saw it on Yahoo Japan, I just had to get it. I was looking for an uncut one as my current bumper on my car was cut to fit the FMIC, when I was running the SR20DET. And no I am NOT selling my old aero bumper.

Untitled by gnakata2007, on Flickr

Also, I have my new AC lines from the guys at Fueled Racing.

Last edited by Turbozx; 02-06-2013 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: fixed picture links
Turbozx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #81
thizzen4
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
thizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymorethizzen4 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
damn that sr was so clean adn then stepped it up to another level coupe love /v8 love cant wait to see a video of this car roaring
thizzen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #82
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
awesome man.

true nissan lover here lol.

what industry are you in, business wise? self employed or work for someone?
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #83
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Pictures aren't working...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #84
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
what industry are you in, business wise? self employed or work for someone?
I work for a company in the telecomm area. The cool thing is that we just announced we are buying a company in Japan, so I will be spending a lot of time there for the rest of year. I'll have less time to work on my car, but I should be able to find some cool car parts and accessories in Japan.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #85
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
fantastic update. I'm excited to see this coming along!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #86
iVanRoz
Zilvia Addict

iVanRoz is an unknown quantity at this point
How have I not seen this? Anyways I'm monitoring this thread
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #87
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Pictures aren't working...
Ok fixed the links to the pictures now.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #88
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
That aero bumper is crazy! Looking forward to more updates.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #89
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
screw the crazy clean car and the crazy ls sway

BRAND NEW S13 AERO BUMPER!

you win sir you win...

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #90
Blown240sx
Leaky Injector

Blown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymoreBlown240sx is not welcome here anymore
A lot of money in this build.

Also someone mention blowing slaves, My Spec stage 3+ on my 408ci LQ9 build had issues because I forgot the shim that came with the clutch (the lack of instructions didnt help). It causes High RPM shift issues.