Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #31
240si

Trader Rating: (0)
240si is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Get back to us after the in-person view.
Hey moved to 6500, car ran well, straight piped, fresh inspection, clean body and very straight... Paint is the only thing, pulled well under boost as well
240si is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #32
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
.............So you bought it for that price??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #33
240si

No, I told him I'd think about it and came back here to see what you guys thought
Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #34
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Meh. It's up to you to make that call. I have a biased view lol
Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #35
240si

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Meh. It's up to you to make that call. I have a biased view lol
It's expensive but surprising seemed solid
Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #36
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

You're the one spending the dough. Try to negotiate a lower price (stock 20+ year old engine, no receipts, no coolant bottle, no coolant setup, welded diff, etc etc.)

Again, at the end, your $$$$ and it's only worth what you are willing to pay

Goodluck!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #37
240si

There actually were fans and a shroud around them controlled by a switch wired to turn off when the motor does
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #38
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How did the paint look in person?
Cloudy?
Single stage?
Good mask job?

....rattle canned?
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #39
240si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
How did the paint look in person?
Cloudy?
Single stage?
Good mask job?

....rattle canned?
not a rattle can but you can tell its not a quality job, can see a little white around the window trim and what not... hood is a bit cloudy as well...
Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #40
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240si View Post
not a rattle can but you can tell its not a quality job, can see a little white around the window trim and what not... hood is a bit cloudy as well...
Are you cool with rocking that paint?

That is why a faded OEM finish is better, allows for a good exisiting base to re-spray over.

But now that its already been re-sprayed poorly, does that need to be stripped? Tough to know through the internet

Id ask him more details about the paint job, what was used, etc.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #41
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
You know what i think of it. It is going to cost you at least as much as you are going to pay for it in the next couple of years. A fan controler can be bought for less than 50$, or built for half of that ( static switch + holder, relay, fuse holder, wire, there you go). A stock looking overflow tank from gktech is around 80$ too. the owner clearly decided he would not spend a dime anymore on that car.
At least make a compression test before deciding anything. The engines can pull well even with 110psi in each cylinder.

Ultimately, it is your money, so your choice. i know i would never pay that kind of money for a drifter's s13 with a bad paint job. But i got mine 10 years ago so things may be different now.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #42
240si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
You know what i think of it. It is going to cost you at least as much as you are going to pay for it in the next couple of years. A fan controler can be bought for less than 50$, or built for half of that ( static switch + holder, relay, fuse holder, wire, there you go). A stock looking overflow tank from gktech is around 80$ too. the owner clearly decided he would not spend a dime anymore on that car.
At least make a compression test before deciding anything. The engines can pull well even with 110psi in each cylinder.

Ultimately, it is your money, so your choice. i know i would never pay that kind of money for a drifter's s13 with a bad paint job. But i got mine 10 years ago so things may be different now.
how would i go about getting a compression check done?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #43
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
youtube and a trip to harbor freight. but really theres tons of detailed writeups about it. google "zilvia compression test" and find a diy. I partially agree with Croustibat though that there are a few suspect shortcomings, and if you intend to daily something so modified right out the gate you'll need to learn very quickly how to repair things on it. Have money for parts/tools
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #44
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240si View Post
how would i go about getting a compression check done?
Buy a compression tester, remove fuel pump fuse, try to start the car until the engine stops by being out of fuel. additionnal: clamp the fuel line.
Remove all spark plugs.
Install the tester in a cylinder, use starter motor with the throttle floored for some engine turns, until the compression tester gauge stops moving. Write down its number. Release the pressure in the tester with the button, unscrew it.
Repeat for the other 3 cylinders.

If compression is a bit low on a cylinder, you can try adding a teaspoon of oil through the spark plug hole and try it again. If compressions are back up, rings are the problem. If not, it usually is a valve not sealing well against its seat (worn valve, or seat, or valve guide, or bent valve)

If compression is low and similar on 2 adjacent cylinders, it usually is a leaking HG between the 2.

You can also test the coolant for oil contamination with strips, although i never did that so i cannot tell which one to buy.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote