Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Teigen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No it did not come quite that way but quite Nice. Redone and made to fit 90mm bore/ 2,2 liter
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
projectkouki

projectkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad ass build, man!
projectkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #33
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectkouki View Post
Bad ass build, man!

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #34
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks like the cylinder head is pretty much just a GTiR SR20DET cylinder head
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #35
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
It is, no NVCS/VVL cams, ITBs, and the admission entry angle looks like the redtop head one.
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #36
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Definitely not just a redtop sr20 head or a GTiR head. Seriously?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #37
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

GTiR ITB's does not even fit a bit to the head, Had to fabricate to make it work, and tons of porting of the ITB's to make them work.

Here is a picture of a original/stock BTCC engine

Ports are twice as large as any normal SR head, Janspeed/ Nissan spent 36 million GBP back in the 90s to make the engine for the BTCC cars produced upto 340 BHP naturally aspired as a 2.0
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #38
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

what so special about the head? ports dont look that big
ports look the same as any other sr20de/sr20det cylinder head

i just dont see what makes that cylinder head so much better then any other sr20de/sr20det cylinder head
Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #39
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

it's diffrently build than a regular sr20de head. Think of it, they made up to 340 BHP as a 2.0 natural aspiration engine, try to make that with a a stock SR20de head! its a bit different built up and the ports are about twice the size areal or a sr20de head + valves guides and such is not regular. Flows unbelivable good, and when youhit up a turbo on this there is crazyness happening, could not done the same with a normal sr20de head at all.

+ there was made about 34 of them, and I heard there is about 12 left, which makes it pretty special itself. it's a lot of tech inside, ofc on the outside it looks normal, it isnt always the outside look that tells you everything you know

the BTCC engines and heads were produced by Janspeed UK on licence from Nissan. At first Tomei was chosen to make this but they failed so Janspeed took over
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #40
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

i just dont understand why u would go through all that work when a ve head is the same amount of work and is a better performing cylinder head
there is no way those ports on your cylinder head is as big as a ve cylinder head
and there is no way the valve train design is any where near as reliable as a ve cylinder head

like if your going to go through all that work make it worth while and use the best cylinder head u can get your hands on
and the best cylinder head for any sr20 block is a P12 sr20ve cylinder head
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #41
Road2Perfection
Leaky Injector

Road2Perfection is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post
i just dont understand why u would go through all that work when a ve head is the same amount of work and is a better performing cylinder head
there is no way those ports on your cylinder head is as big as a ve cylinder head
and there is no way the valve train design is any where near as reliable as a ve cylinder head

like if your going to go through all that work make it worth while and use the best cylinder head u can get your hands on
and the best cylinder head for any sr20 block is a P12 sr20ve cylinder head
I would agree that a properly machined/ported VE head with the cooling issues sorted would be better, but still, this is far better than the GTIR heads, atleast it is far better than any other head for N/A applications, how it's for turbo I cannot say all for certant.

a VE head isnt better because it flows better, which I doubt, but only due to the fact you have VVL that gives you power over a bigger range and earlier spool which is rather important if you ask me.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #42
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road2Perfection View Post
I would agree that a properly machined/ported VE head with the cooling issues sorted would be better, but still, this is far better than the GTIR heads, atleast it is far better than any other head for N/A applications, how it's for turbo I cannot say all for certant.

a VE head isnt better because it flows better, which I doubt, but only due to the fact you have VVL that gives you power over a bigger range and earlier spool which is rather important if you ask me.
how does a ve head have cooling issues, i havent had a single cooling issue what so ever with my ve cylinder head

the ve head not only flows a shit load more it has a more reliable valve train
the rocker arms are held in place with a rod which runs from one end of the cylinder to the other end holding the rocker arm in place it doesnt matter how hard you rev the engine the rocker arm isnt going to pop off

sr20ve ports against sr20de/sr20det ports

Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #43
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys are crazy for criticizing him on this. It's a head and it's a damn good one at that. Why don't you just ask him why he isn't putting a V8 in it?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #44
Road2Perfection
Leaky Injector

Road2Perfection is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never heard of much issues with Valves and such on DE heads, however, I know for a fact that a VE head is better due to the fact that it's variable, meaning earlier spool, meaning wider possible RPM spectre to play with.
However the peak output, I doubt there will be any difference whatsoever.

I'm for the VE head, but unless he wins the lottery, the plans won't really change.
if money wasnt a issue the build would have been done by now :P
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
You guys are crazy for criticizing him on this. It's a head and it's a damn good one at that. Why don't you just ask him why he isn't putting a V8 in it?

Thank you, I am so glad there is people like you here!
For information: If I wanted to have what a VE head can give me that the BTCC head won't I would ofc used the VE head.

And saying that your VE head flows "shit loads more" than my BTCC head then I think you would have to come here and see.

VE was developed during 1996 and If it was any better, Nissan would have used that, and not the DE to win the BTCC championship with their primera.
The BTCC isnt a normal SR20DE head, it was in fact made with more material around the ports so that the ports could be as a large as possible. Do you think your stock VS head would beat a stock BTCC head as N/A engine? I don't think so

Valves are also slightly larger
+ these engines could do 9500 rpm, no problem! Without having issues with rocker arms etc. + of course i have custommade rocker arms in a different material than those of a regular SR20DE head...

+ there was made like 34 engines for BTCC, so no, I'd not rather throw my DE head and pruchase a regular VE head.

Also, you mentioned the ports were small compared to a VE? I don't think so!

Today's Update:

Finally got some more Argon gas for my TIG welder so I could start welding some more on the plenum, got almost finished but it's not yet complete.
Still waiting for some new bolts that would fit for the special holes in the Meziere waterpumps.

Also came to the decision today that I am going to make the whole suspension setup myself together with a mate which works with delivering to the sportscar industry racing.

Of course Coilovers I will not make myself But mostly everything else.
Going to use a very solid metal used to aircraft industry + lotsa uniballs. Everything will be adjustable. + going to machine some 50mm spacers so that the car will handle a bit better in the rough corners with higher speed.
For tires I am hoping to maybe get some 285 fitted under there
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #46
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Don't worry about all the people saying do a VE. I myself actually am doing a stroked VE, but i love seeing rare/new/extreme swaps. I personally get tired of the same old basic swaps, but hey to each his own with his own money also, great job on the build so far.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #47
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
Don't worry about all the people saying do a VE. I myself actually am doing a stroked VE, but i love seeing rare/new/extreme swaps. I personally get tired of the same old basic swaps, but hey to each his own with his own money also, great job on the build so far.
Thanks mate, hows the displacement in your ve? 2,3?
Flow tested the head of mine to a lot over 1000bhp
Lift is have is 13,1 so will be getting enough air in hehe, a ve head would never beat the btcc head.
Doing some small stuff every day, minor parts but its often the most time taking.
Like alternators adjusting, making newparts and such. Will post up some pics during the weekend of new smaller things that has been done.
Yesterday I was in sweden, picking up the new cylinderhead for my brothers Volvo 242 16v. Quite extreme that too.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #48
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road2Perfection View Post
I've never heard of much issues with Valves and such on DE heads,
you have never seen a rocker arm pop of on a det cylinder head? its one of the most common problems with high reving det cylinder heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigen View Post
Also, you mentioned the ports were small compared to a VE? I don't think so!
im sure your ports are bigger then a normal sr20det cylinder head but there is no chance they are any where near the size of of a ve port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
im all for seeing some thing new its more exciting then seeing the same old thing done over and over again im just trying to work out why you would spend so much money and effort on a special rare cylinder head when there is a better option out there
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #49
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
a ve head would never beat the btcc head.
mate your dreaming if you think your BTCC cylinder head will out perform a ve cylinder head

im not doubting your BTCC cylinder head isnt better then a sr20det cylinder head but i doubt it will out perform a ve cylinder head
i just think your making a BTCC cylinder head out to be better then it actually is

micks motorsports is running into the 6 second bracket with a ve head
ben bray is running in the 7 second bracket with a billet block ve head
Dps imports is running in the 7 second bracket with a ve head
There is more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head

Last edited by STR8E180; 01-21-2013 at 04:01 AM..
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #50
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
a ve head would never beat the btcc head.
I'm going to have to side with str8e180 on this one.. Although, I promise I am not criticizing your decision because in the end it is YOUR build and not ours. Your ports do look massive when compared to factory de ports, but there is no way you can truthfully say that a ve wont out-perform the btcc head. The ve is the be all, end all for the sr20, hands down. Not only are the ports larger than the btcc's in stock fashion, but variable lift and valve timing make it even more amazing. You could do all that nice porting to the ve head just as you have for the btcc. The shaft mounted rockers are the best design for the sr20 by far. No matter what you do you will have problems with the rockers un-mounting themselves at high rpm. A dual guide shim setup is the next best thing, but still it doesn't compete with the ve head, which Mazworx uses to rev out 13k rpm.

I love this build and I think it will shake the earth when it hits the track, but there is no denying the ve head's performance despite the rarity of the btcc head. This build will be different and I applaud that. I look forward to seeing the finished product. It is on a completely different level compared to most of Zilvia's builds. Keep up the hard work!
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #51
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignMuscle View Post
I'm going to have to side with str8e180 on this one.. Although, I promise I am not criticizing your decision because in the end it is YOUR build and not ours. Your ports do look massive when compared to factory de ports, but there is no way you can truthfully say that a ve wont out-perform the btcc head. The ve is the be all, end all for the sr20, hands down. Not only are the ports larger than the btcc's in stock fashion, but variable lift and valve timing make it even more amazing. You could do all that nice porting to the ve head just as you have for the btcc. The shaft mounted rockers are the best design for the sr20 by far. No matter what you do you will have problems with the rockers un-mounting themselves at high rpm. A dual guide shim setup is the next best thing, but still it doesn't compete with the ve head, which Mazworx uses to rev out 13k rpm.

I love this build and I think it will shake the earth when it hits the track, but there is no denying the ve head's performance despite the rarity of the btcc head. This build will be different and I applaud that. I look forward to seeing the finished product. It is on a completely different level compared to most of Zilvia's builds. Keep up the hard work!
Well said mate
That's exactly my point
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #52
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Point is that I don't even care a little if XXXXX runs low 4 secs or xxxxxx runs low 5 sec with a billet VE head, i'm building

I'm not building this car for any specific class or racing series, Will do some timeattack but still want to maybe try other things.

I know VE is a good head and that it performs well, If i wanted one I would already had one. Thing is, I want this car to be different from everything else.

When you think of a 200sx/240sx/S14 within racing/motorsports, the picture is a sliding driftcar. Here in Norway, I have never seen a Grip/timeattack Silvia IRL all those years, so thats why I bought it, make a grip car be different.

When tinking of SR2X engines and tuning, everyone does a VE swap, I thought "hey, I'm gonna do it different"

So what is more different than a GRIP Silvia with a DE head ? At least here where I live its nothing I've ever seen.

you can call me a sick fuck with a disturbed brain but I like doing things different and spending much effort to even the smallest piece of the car.

I could probably sell just the BTCC Magnesium Valvecover itself to a museum or collector and buy a complete VE head for the money I could get for it.

Last update pic lol

58mm port, still having clearance to waterports etc
and btw the btcc primeras did up to 10500 rpm and didnt have any special rocker arm troubles, + the DE sr20 won the total BTCC in the late 90s.
And please don't doubt me on this, this thing I know

Peace

Last edited by Teigen; 09-08-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Teigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #53
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Keep updating this thread. It's just guys on this forum they nitpick and criticize.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #54
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I agree, keep the updates coming! Most of the haters are just people who can't even afford to do a proper build...so they hate on people who can. keep updating for the guys like us that actually like to see new and extreme things being done!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #55
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Keep that valvecover!! Don't listen to those jagaloons man, run the btcc head. There is a reason most people go with the ve head, since there are only what 12 btcc's left? I tell ya what, if I was building an sr, I would choose that same head. No questions asked. Awesome build so far man! Keep up the work!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #56
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Hey me and str8e180 both agree'd that it was different and that it was a great build. The ONLY thing that was criticized was you saying it was better than a VE head. I personally told you I loved the build and how different it was.

If you just lost motivation for the build because someone said that a ve head would have been better then you should give your wrenches away for good. Get a grip man. It's a fucking forum.

I thought you were a good sport, but if you wanna whine and cry just have them delete it. No room for people getting all butt hurt around here.
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #57
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Mate u seriously need to relax it up a bit aye
Why are you gettin all upset for ?
No one is hating on your build just because I said a ve head is better then a btcc head does not mean I'm hating I'm just stating fact
Sorry not every one is yes men some people might actually want to tell you the truth
It's the truth and if u can't handle the truth then Internet forums arnt for you
I love the fact your doing some thing different it keeps your build interesting but don't go saying your btcc cylinder head is better then a ve head when clearly it isn't and if u think it is then you need to do your research

All I was doing was correcting what you throught was right
Like I said before I love the fact your doing some thing different

I was trying to work out why you were doing all this when There was a better option out there and i now know why its to be different
If that's what u want that's fine
Some people build cars to be different there's nothing wrong with that

Last edited by STR8E180; 01-21-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #58
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post
don't go saying your btcc cylinder head is better then a ve head when clearly it isn't and if u think it is then you need to do your research
Because you've laid out what proof.....

Oh wait.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #59
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
Because you've laid out what proof.....

Oh wait.
Shaft mounted rocker arms
Standard ports flowing 300cfm in standard form I know of billet aftermarket heads that don't even do that
VVL

What's a btcc cylinder head got ?
No VVL, it doesn't even have VTC, no shaft mounted rocker arms, ports are clearly smaller
It's not hard to work out which is the better cylinder head

The ve head change The game for sr20's

Scorch s15 very impressive time attack circuit car which holds the record at 52 seconds around Tsukuba circuit track in Japan
Now take into account this rear wheel drive car is faster then 4 wheel drive cars

MCA s13 fastest rear wheel drive car at World time attack in Australia placing in at 3rd

There are 4 or 5 drag cars running in the 7 second bracket and micks Motorsports running in The 6 second bracket

All these cars run sr20's and what do they have In common they all use ve heads
Its the most responsive cylinder head due to its VVL and massive ports
It's the most reliable cylinder head due to its shaft mounted rocker arms

The amount of extra timing my engine took after the cylinder head conversion was amazing
My tuner said its more like tuning a Honda then a Nissan
My car makes 300kw on 10psi at 4000rpm how many sr20's do u know of that can do that ?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #60
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
You realize none of what you just posted amounts to proof, right? Just because a certain drag car runs VE heads and makes a bunch of power doesn't mean shit because you have nothing BTCC to compare it to. And just because all those builders use VE doesn't make it better, maybe they just couldn't find a BTCC head because there are like 12 of them...

At this point I am not even picking sides, I just letting you know that you cannot argue anything about which head is better because you haven't seen both in action with similar spec'd motors. The fact that a new head was built at all when the VE was readily available should be proof enough for you to wait this build out and see what kind of numbers it makes.

\end bashing
please continue build thread