Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
sentradude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
s14 S14 Spindle / hub assembly (Driftworks) Question

Hey everyone, I'm running into some issues and need input. I have purchased Driftworks drop knuckles and 5 Lug hubs from 240sxconversions (fronts) and I am having a heck of a time with getting the hubs on to the spindle... Every video I've watched it seems the hub should just slide on to the spindle but mine go on about half way and stop.. Without pressing the hubs on to the spindles they wont go on.. I don't want to mess anything up and was hoping someone could measure the STOCK spindle with a micrometer/caliper and tell me what diameter they get, is it 34mm? What should the inner dia. of the bearing be on the hubs? Anyone else run into something similar to this? THANKS IN ADVANCE.
sentradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you sure the knuckles are for S14?

Are you sure you have S14 hubs and not S13 conversion hubs?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

S14 Spindle / hub assembly (Driftworks) Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Are you sure the knuckles are for S14?

Are you sure you have S14 hubs and not S13 conversion hubs?
Yes and yes.... super frustrating as I don't want to press them on as I've tried it once and when I tried to pull the hubs off the bearing races came apart. Do I try to sand the spindle down a bit?

Old 04-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

Bump anyone can help please it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
On most aftermarket parts the tolerances are never perfect. With some of the gktech units we had to sand the spindle a bit or measure out and decide if the tolerance was close enough to see if pressing it on would work without destroying the race.
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (68)
speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedfiend
I have the Driftworks "Grip" Knuckles on my s14 and had zero issues installing my hubs onto the knuckles. Like tacotacotaco mentioned though, tolerences are different when it comes to aftermarket parts. If I were you Id do what he said and just sand the spindles down a bit until the hubs slide on fairly easily.

Have you measured the I.D. of the hubs to see exactly how much of an interference you have?
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

S14 Spindle / hub assembly (Driftworks) Question

THX for the feedback I WANT TO GET MY CAR BACK!!! Been on blocks for almost 2 years (for other reasons..)

First set of hubs were measuring around 33.83ish ID or so.. .Got my latest and they are right on 34.00.. They go down about 1/4" of the way and get wedged and I have to carefully remove them without popping the rear race out of the hub..

How would I go about sanding the spindle evently? Or do I just get 1000 grit and do the best I can? Should I have the spindles machined ?? I just want to do it right but at the same time get my car back on the road.. THX!!!
Old 04-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
I just measured an oem one s14 spindle. Im at about 33.96

I would just give it a lil sand and press on the hub and torque to spec
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotacotaco View Post
I just measured an oem one s14 spindle. Im at about 33.96

I would just give it a lil sand and press on the hub and torque to spec
Sounds good - ill give it a try! I just dont want to ruin the hubs or these knuckles... surprised no one else had this issue with DW knuckles.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Spindle tolerances are 0.0005", i.e. the spindle should only be 0.0005"-0.001" smaller than the bearing ID. It's a near perfect sliding fit, not interference/press.

Things this precise are generally ground for surface finish and precision. Aftermarket stuff that has critical dimensions like a spindle should always be measured to be trusted. Their ability to hold tolerances like that is highly variable. As you can see, that spindle probably also has a taper on it as well.

It also means you should be measuring these things with a micrometer and telescoping gauges, not a caliper. I mean a caliper gets you pretty close, but if you want to know 0.0005" increments, they aren't the right tool.

And sanding can work, but it may take you an eternity to remove even 0.0005" with high grit sand paper. If you have the ability to chuck it in a lathe with live centers, your life will be made much easier if you go the sanding route and will do it guaranteed evenly. Just keep a micrometer by you and measure constantly.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

Thanks Gills.. Very informative post but now I am once again at a standstill. I was going to attempt sanding the spindles but now with my OCD not sure of this decision to do so.. My fear is not being able to sand it down evenly and no access to lathe or machine shop that I would trust with these knuckles.. WTF DW!! Lol
Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
gills
Zilvia Junkie

gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentradude View Post
Thanks Gills.. Very informative post but now I am once again at a standstill. I was going to attempt sanding the spindles but now with my OCD not sure of this decision to do so.. My fear is not being able to sand it down evenly and no access to lathe or machine shop that I would trust with these knuckles.. WTF DW!! Lol
You can do it, just make sure you're consistent and equal in how you're sanding it. Measure as you go along and/or test fit the bearing until it slides on precisely. Be patient. I have access to machine tools and I need to be anal with my car for what I use it in so I'm more over the top than most people.

But, for machine shop details, when I say "live center," it means they will hold and support the upright with the small spotted hole at the nose of the spindle and then there should also be one on the back side of the spindle that's perfectly inline with the centerline of it. Those are tooling marks the manufacturer used to machine the spindle.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #13
sentradude
Zilvia Addict

I appreciate the feedback gills.
A colleague in thread #8 measured the spindle at 33.96 , any chance you can take a reading as well to confirm the ball-park I am aiming for please? Thank you!!!
Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentradude View Post
I appreciate the feedback gills.
A colleague in thread #8 measured the spindle at 33.96 , any chance you can take a reading as well to confirm the ball-park I am aiming for please? Thank you!!!
2 days too late my friend. I'm sorry. I had a set of spindles sitting on my desk for the last 4 weeks also.

What I do have are a few hubs and I can measure them. Won't be until tomorrow.