Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #1
C10Hakosuka
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
C10Hakosuka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Major Electrical Issues SR20 89 240sx

Hello Zilvia, finally decided to ask around here again since my friends and I cannot seem to figure out what has happened. Recently I got a new Wiring Harness from Wiring Specialties and installed it. During the install I snapped the stud to the alternator power ground but no big deal I bought a dual cam one but have yet to install it. Long story short as of right now my fuel pump doesn't prime (even before the harness swap) and I have replaced the pump and re did the old wires on the assembly. My plan here is to just do the relay modification to run direct power so cross my fingers there.
Whats new is that now if I were to put the key in and turn it on the ON position, my radio doesn't receive power or randomly does and then will cut out. I can even move it back and forth and it'll get some juice then die. My aftermarket gauges turn on when they want and sometimes off, headlights etc don't work, and when turning the ignition to the OFF position, the oil, brake, etc lights stay on (minus my cluster lights those don't even turn on anymore) another odd thing is that my blinkers work with the car turned off as well... Ive checked fuses and relays and nothing... My chassis harness is tucked and not rubbed at all.

All I can think of is to replace the entire ignition since I've even tried swapping switches and even the ECU.

Info:
Car 89 240sx SR20DET Red top freshly rebuilt
A new wiring harness and pump

Running out of ideas and this car has been sitting. I was able to drive the car a few weeks back granted it was running lean until the fuel pump gave out.
Thank you if anybody can even give input!
C10Hakosuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my best advice for you is to start tracing wires via the FSM. im sure somewhere on zilvia there is a copy of it but doing a quick google search and you should be able to download it. start with one circuit at a time and figure out where each wire goes. the FSM does cover electrical theory so it is definitely a good starting point. your problem could be anything from a bad ground, high resistance ground, poor connections at the connectors or more likely bad or broken wires. I ended up rewiring my entire car because my wire harness was so shot. you might get lucky and just have it be something simple.
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote