Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Extrude honed intake manifold?

Has anyone on here ever sent off a stock sr intake manifold to get extrude honed? Seems like that would be the best option for those of us that want to keep the stock intake manifold to keep that low down tq. Im just wondering if anyone has done this and seen an increased benefit?
Old 10-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I would love to have some back to back info on it. Typically increasing the diameter of the runners rocks the powerband like a see-saw with the pivot being at peak torque (usually determined by runner length).

I remember it used to be very expensive as well, I should e-mail them for a quote.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Let me know what they say if you email them. I just think that's the best option for us street car guys who don't want to run a hypertune/greddy etc.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Where is this located? Is it in paramount ca?
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

There's multiple companies that extrude hone. Some of them are in ca yes.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:21 AM   #6
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Been doing some research... there seems to be very, very little information about the benefits of this... Along with some disappointing back to back dynos. Pretty concerning considering how long it's been around. "Best kept secret" or flop? Might be a better option to get the Xcessive weld-on plenum that keeps longer runners.

https://www.xcessivemanufacturing.co...et-s13-wi.html

Also, just FYI hypertune plenums have very little bottom end loss from what I've seen. Greddy's just kinda suck, at least for S13 SR, but that's not a popular opinion, hahaha.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #7
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Lot of $$$ for not alot of gain. By the time you invest in it, you could buy a properly tuned (runner length and volume) manifold.

Remember, turbo cars do not depend as much on manifold design as NA cars since they are just ramming air in. They more care about volume and having a reservoir to store that volume of air since it is now compressed and you can fit more "air" mass for a specific volume than if you were NA

TL.DR just buy a proper manifold and not waste your time. I don't think (not confirmed) the stock plenum volume is even 2 liters (the size of the engine and the minimal you want chamber volume to be)
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Lot of $$$ for not alot of gain. By the time you invest in it, you could buy a properly tuned (runner length and volume) manifold.

Remember, turbo cars do not depend as much on manifold design as NA cars since they are just ramming air in. They more care about volume and having a reservoir to store that volume of air since it is now compressed and you can fit more "air" mass for a specific volume than if you were NA

TL.DR just buy a proper manifold and not waste your time. I don't think (not confirmed) the stock plenum volume is even 2 liters (the size of the engine and the minimal you want chamber volume to be)
Ehhhhhh, gotta be careful with the statements like "do not depend as much". You can still really fuck up your powerband on a turbo car with the wrong intake manifold (Greddy/Freddy/Cheap Chinabay S13 IMHO). There is still pulse tuning and powerband effects from runner length, taper, entrance, and plenum volume.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Oh I absolutely agree! Was more watering down the discussion, as by the time you look into manifold tuning and building, you are spending way more than Extrude hone.......at which point, just plunk down a Hypertune or hit up CPC and have them (well, him) spec it out and manufacture it and remove all the guess work

There is OTS available software if one really wants to dabble in such and is probably above the level of this discussion lol!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
The Mazworx intake manifold is purported to be all gain and no loss in the bottom/middle.

I'm installing one relatively soon and will hopefully have some comparison plots.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This is why i went from a freddy style intake manifold to a hypertune/JUN intake manifold. Hopen to keep more lowend powerbqnd
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

I wouldn't mind buying a mazwork, hypertune, or plazaman I take manifold. I just wish there was back to back dynos showing which one performed the best, so I could just buy that one lol