Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
koukizhang is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA-T Tomei Poncams? Thoughts?

Getting a KA-T built. Have 270 tomei poncams priced out, but I am unsure if they will work for what I want.

Built motor
740cc injectors
Tomei manifold
GTX2863r turbo
RS enthalpy rom tune

I've heard from different sources that the cams help open up power near the top end but make the mid range/low end sluggish. I'd like a smooth usable power band, but want to keep the torque of the KA. This car will be mainly street driven. I was hoping the GTX2863r will spool quick enough to maintain low end power and the cams will help it up top. I'm also afraid that the stock cams will make it drop off near top end rpm's. Trying to find a good balance here. Looking to make ~300whp safely.

Anyone have experience or thoughts?
koukizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I think you are on the right track with what you have described. I had a similar set up but was with gt2871 on sr20 the Tq and hp where ok, it but on slower spool because of turbo.

Since you are thinking gtx2863 I think it should be ok without sacrificing low end tq
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you're only looking for 300whp, I'd leave stock cams.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by koukizhang View Post
Getting a KA-T built. Have 270 tomei poncams priced out, but I am unsure if they will work for what I want.

Built motor
740cc injectors
Tomei manifold
GTX2863r turbo
RS enthalpy rom tune

I've heard from different sources that the cams help open up power near the top end but make the mid range/low end sluggish. I'd like a smooth usable power band, but want to keep the torque of the KA. This car will be mainly street driven. I was hoping the GTX2863r will spool quick enough to maintain low end power and the cams will help it up top. I'm also afraid that the stock cams will make it drop off near top end rpm's. Trying to find a good balance here. Looking to make ~300whp safely.

Anyone have experience or thoughts?
Those 270 pro cams are way to big for what you are looking for.
If you are aiming for 330-400whp you need only 256 Poncams.
It will be best if you are seeking to not loose low end tq.

I had 256 on my sr20 at 368whp and 350 lbs tq
Old 07-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
If you're only looking for 300whp, I'd leave stock cams.
Completely agree with your statement sir!
Great advice
Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

Will stock cams fall off top end? I'd also like some room to increase power if I wanted to in the future. Is a good middle ground between stock and poncams the 256's? Like I said, wanting to find a balance.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

For 300whp stock cams are good, top end will be ehh ok.

If you are looking to increase power in future (which I’m 100% sure you will) get the 256 Pon-cams that way you have room to play, and you will gain good top end power
Old 07-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

Cool, I'll def look into those more!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
300WHP is what some of us call falling off up top
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote