Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Ikera

Trader Rating: (0)
Ikera is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Ikera's Boosted Ricer Build

Ever since I watched Fast the Furious I wanted to buy a car and install NOS!! well not exactly...

I don't know since when but I wanted to install a turbo on N/A engine, but I didn't know sh!t about cars. I read a lot and 240sx looked like the best candidate of all RWD car I was considering.

Actually I think S13s are ugly, and S14s are too plain, and I knew that this is probably will end up costing me a lot of money that I could use to buy a Lincoln LS or Cadillac CTS or something else that isn't old, looks good and has 4 doors.

Anyway after my Lincoln LS got written off, I decided to buy a 240sx with a goal to install a turbo on it before these cars become any older.

here is what I got, I think I over paid for it

1990 KA24E 220,xxx KMs
HIDs, 3" Cat Back
Non-Hicas, ABS, vLSD, KYB shocks w/ lowering springs, 15x6.5" Advan Model 6 rims
Sunroof, Power windows n lock, AC
S14 re-upholstered fake leather seats, Clean Black Interior

Got some turbo Parts and Exhaust

Most people say most difficult part is setting up oil return line, so I decided to start with that... until this point I've never even changed oil in car.

After I took out the bolts the pan was still stuck, tried using this...

Then this

Putty knife + hammer worked a lot better

The oil pick up is placed in one of the most difficult places to reach with the engine in the car. it has to be unbolted before oil pan can slide out.

Removed the pan and here is what I found inside

the oil pick up line, a bolt, a ratchet and the Timing Chain Guide

So since I already had the pan out, I thought it would be stupid to put it back on without replacing the timing chain and all that stuff

so I started removing everything that had to be removed, throw away what's not needed and relocate the battery...

I was planing on getting a different bumper so I removed that as well, it also made it easier to craw out from under the car.

Cutting off the EGR pipe, because I couldn't get it loose
(I don't have grinder so I use dremel for all the cutting... I know this sh!t is ghetto)

These are the spark plug wires that came with the car and it was running just fine. Makes me wonder if the whole thing about replacing spark plug wires is just a money grab.

Manifold off, Timing cover off, Timing Chain out

I realized I didn't take any pics of the battery relocation part but it's in the hatch now

anyway I had this car for over 2 years now, just trying to upload the photos in chronological order now

Last edited by Ikera; 10-24-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Ikera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Ikera

Timing Kit

Old Full Plastic Guide vs New Metal Plate Guide

New Timing Chain and Guides Installed

What was kinda weird is that the crank shaft pulley and sprocket came off by hand, I didn't need to use 3 claw 6" crank pulley puller

And here comes more ghetto sh!t
I was trying to figure out how to set up oil return line without welding, here is what I came up with

it's a brass barb fitting, screwed into the pan secured with a nut the from inside with JB Weld used as a gasket sealer and thread lock. I think this sh!t ain't going anywhere

#1 problem with stalling the oil pan back is the oil pickup line, if I drop one of the bolts into the pan I have to take it off again and try again. I tried to use masking tape to keep the bolts from falling

Timing cover on

Oil Pan on

exhaust Manifold on

vacuum line map, back in the day when I had almost all my emission stuff still intact

what a pain
Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Ikera

the oil return fitting is on there pretty solid, 2 years now and no leaks, no drain problems, iirc it's 1/2" ID

funny thing after I put it all back together, somehow I managed to drop the valve cover semi-circle seal into the oil pan, I was really pissed off at that moment. And do this day there is that seal chilling in my oil pan somewhere.

who need HKS Brand Name Sh!t when you can buy anodized purple paint instead

A reward for myself for doing the timing chain

Light Weight Under-Drive Pulley Kit

Purple color didn't come out well

Oil Cap and the Breather Filter

Slim Brake Booster (non-ABS S13), Painted it Copper

after I put everything back together, of course I didn't fire up on the first tire, there was so many things wrong.
Fuel pump didn't prime, until I tighten all the ground, and rechecked all the plugs under the hood, and when it did fire up it was actually running on 2 cylinder because I mixed up the distributor wire. after I got it running on all 4 cylinder I realized my timing was horrible off, it was running at ~10ATDC, it's so far off that it mean I installed the distributor shaft the wrong way.

Took out the oil pump and re installed the shaft about 3 times to get into the right place.

One Step Colder Spark Plug! at that time I ran the 0.045" or 1.1mm gap, because I didn't know anything about gapping

Walbro 255

This part is badly rusted

there are 6 bolts holding the sending unit, I broke 3 of them

after install I used Black RTV instead of the rubber gasket ring, since I have half as many bolts holding it in place.
It sealed up fine and can hold the pressure

Next Injectors (CA18)

decided to paint the fuel rail

Painted the injectors Purple/Silver so I can tell noobs I'm running HKS injectors

Z32 Fuel Filter Painted

since CA18 Injectors are low impedance I need a resistor pack
Got 4x 10W 6.8 ohm resistors, some speaker wires and some random heat sink and here is what I got

Z32 Fuel Filter

Now here is the fun Part, wiring stuff

I'm not really sure what I was doing

Wired the resistor pack, S-AFC II and the wideband

Surprisingly the injectors fired up on the first try,
that means my DIY Resistor pack worked and SAFC wiring was correct, however the next day I sprung a horrible leak from one of the injectors O-Rings after that I replaced all of the them.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
status_ryan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
status_ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I lol'd so hard about how you found the ratchet in the oil pan. That's definitely a story to tell your buds.
status_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Ikera

well not really, I was the one who dropped the ratchet into the pan while trying to remove the oil pick up. And there was no way to get it out, luckily I had a wrench that was able to get the job done