Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Administration > Forum Suggestions & Technical Support

Forum Suggestions & Technical Support Post any suggestions or questions related to this site.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bandwagons - Their not just for newbies anymore!

If the influx of "bandwagon jumpers" is really that much of a concern to this forum that even moderators join in on*the bashing of newbie's asking about drifting or motor swaps, why don't the people in charge institute a policy either through the user agreement or active enforcement against users who ask those questions that really should have been searched?

At the current rate zilvia will be just like fresh alloy was. Very unfriendly.

If thats the goal of this forum then fine, at least do people the service of being up front about it. Ban the people who don't follow the rules and get on with your lives. Hoping in a thread commenting about "damn band wagoners" and the like is just posting masturbation for a different type of band wagoner.
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
I think you're incorrect. A flat-out ban on people who ask sr v. ka would be unacceptable. As would putting them in the doghouse. However, people (noobs, especially) need to utilize the search button. Someone programmed alot of code for that, and it's rarely used. So those people get busted on, and hopefully read the rules that say "Don't post ka v. sr threads" and search.
You have two extremes listed. Get flammed by a moderator or ban them. So the next time I have an inclination to flame you, I should just ban you??
You also have 2 misconceptions. 1) Moderator's are above other people. BS. I was just some user until asked to moderate. So now I do both. My posts to people are purely my own. There was no expectation implied or stated for me to act towards others in the highest manner. And 2) That people would follow the user agreement, or a policy change? Like what? As I said before, any form of administrative action isn't light, and much too harsh to give an idiot.
Finally, I have no clue who called who what. But why not PM them, and ask why rather than posting this?
-Jeff
Old 10-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

I disagree with you on a few points but I have some questions first.

If mods are normal people then what is the criteria for choosing a mod? What is the point in having a mod? (What is their job)

Busting peoples balls for not searching is just sanctioned post whoring. Its not effective, it trashes up the forum and drives users off. I think it would be more effective to not allow threads which are pointless to continue. Bandwagon threads for example are pointless. Your message does not get across to the user that starts the thread, everyone else just whores it up.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Moderator = (IMO) Trusted member that has the power to go through the forums, lock/move posts, and ban/pink users when they are way out of line. I don't get paid. I don't get perks. I don't get vacation, medical, time off, or any other thing that makes me want to continue to moderate. I do it because I like this forum, and will donate my time and aggrivation to reading threads I give 0% of a shit about. Like any SR problem. Body kit fitment. S13 questions. Nothing pertains to me, yet I read them because it comes with the territory. I'll even answer those questions now, too, because I've gleened enough knowledge over time. In summation, I don't get anything, except bitched at, cussed at, threatened, hated on, and pissed off by moderating. Therefore, when people throw a hissy fit at something that I did, or I'm just plain having a bad day, I'll take it out of the nearest stupid person that deserves it.
There are a few moderators. Some are on alot more than others. There are probably 4-5 full time moderators out of however many are listed. The workload is insane with 100 new threads a day, and the 20 or so new members. If I had to carefully link every noob to the user TOS agreement, and the forum rules pages, I'd go nuts.
People seem to think that they can't do anything here. Bullshit. Everyone can be a moderator in some form by hitting the button.. with the triangle and ! icon on the lower left. That reports a post, sends a discrete email to admins/moderators and nobody else can see it. It's not narcing. It's simply expediting the process, because 7/10 times we'll find the issue ourselves. Also, users can link those pages that you deem helpful to noobs.
So.. I thought I answered your questions in full previously. But now that I'm slightly irritated.. I'll say this.
Don't fucking bitch when you don't do shit around the forum. I've never seen your name/email in a reported post. I've never seen you side with a noob. I'm sure you can dig up a post to prove me wrong, but then the question remains. If you are on a mission to enable noobs, and better the forum, what percentage of those threads do you do something in?
As I said before, I don't think I'm the moderator in question. I'm simply playing devil's advocate, and saying what has been discussed in the mod forum before. It's a dirty job with no respect or thanks. If I wear my feelings on my sleeve, so be it. And I'm not irritated at you, I'm irritated at calculus class. And I'm not telling you directly to no bitch. I'm telling the forum in general. You aren't the first person to bring this up, or crusade for noob rights. Others have too.. and once shown that they too had the power to stop things, help people, change the forum.. they didn't.
-Jeff
Old 10-20-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

Wasnt aware of the report button until just now...is there a primer on other forum features somewhere?

I'm not advocating newbie rights. I don't really care if they can't figure out how to search or lurk before they post.

I see west complain about server fee's and then I see shit threads with 50p in them all about bullshit...there are your server fees right there.

I see a stupid question get posted and a mod 5 posts down giving him shit...how many clicks is it to lock a post down? Less than a shitty response I imagine.

I don't need to fortify my record of helping people to justify my making a single thread with a suggestion. I never suggested I was gods gift to this forum. I hate it here just as much as you or anyone else does.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

I sense anger from you, and I didn't mean it that way. I really like when people fight for noob rights.. but eventually they give up, because the influx of noobs far outweighs any one person's ability to calm the forum or stop the flames.
I also don't hate it here.
Anyway, I'm sorry if you feel that I was angry towards you, or instigating something. I was irritated at calculus (got a 58 on a test), but I tried to say I wasn't upset with you in any way at the end of my last post.
It's a good suggestion. Maybe others will see this, and the forum can benefit from it.
-Jeff
Old 10-21-2004, 12:31 AM   #7
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

No I'm not angry about anything. It does sound that way though when I read my post.