Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
CalPolyKing
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (45)
CalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CalPolyKing
s13 Rough Idle & Engine Cont. 10a fuse blows

1992 Nissan 240sx Ka24DE MT

- I have a rough idle and sometimes shuts off at stops. When I put into neutral from high rpms it drops really low and jumps back up at times.

- E-Brake light comes on and off randomly without Engine Cont. (10A) fuse in place, and the battery light also comes on (very dim though).

- I Checked fuses. Engine Cont. (10A) fuse blown. Replaced it and it blew again.
There was the smell of burnt plastic after each fuse blew. I tracked the smell down to the EGR control solenoid plug. It was burnt.

- The S.C.V. Control Solenoid is not burnt and neither is the o2 sensor. Both of these are on the same extension of the harness.

- I removed the Engine Cont. (10A) fuse and uses my multimeter to test the voltage. I set it to 20 DCV. The reading was +-11.2v. I'm guessing that's fine.

I am thinking of replacing the EGR control solenoid.
I don't want to spend the cash on the solenoid and have it burn up too. If anyone has any insight on other possibilities to narrow down this issue I am all ears.

I did my research, and this is a case of the same problem.
Engine control fuse-KEEPS BLOWING!!! : 240SX Technical Forum

Last edited by CalPolyKing; 11-16-2012 at 09:45 PM..
CalPolyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
CalPolyKing
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (45)
CalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CalPolyKing
Used the digital multimeter on the plug that connects to the EGR control solenoid. It gave roughly a 12v reading. So I have a feeling the wires going to the EGR control solenoid are good and the culprit is the EGR control solenoid.

I also check the ohms in the EGR control solenoid and there was no continuity. Not sure if a functional EGR solenoid will give a value for ohms when not powered though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to confirm I'm going in the right path with the help from someone more experienced in electronics.