Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
frozone

Trader Rating: (0)
frozone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 silvia sr20de(na) which driveshaft??

Alright, so I just recently purchased my first Nissan. I bought a 94 RHD s14, zenkei front, kouki rear, with the SR20de. Made the deal with this guy that he was going to put the whole car back together, have the LSD installed into the dif, and install a new clutch, which I then ordered.

Here's the problem. He had the drive shaft out, and has misplaced it. I'm obviously new to the Nissan game, and I have no clue if another drive shaft will fit, or where I could source a new drive shaft for the non turbo'd SR.

This guy is telling me they're impossible to find at a good price, and is willing to give me my money back for the car. I'm also getting conflicting information as to if any other drive shafts fit (I've heard one from a KA S14 fits)

Also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and source an SR20deT swap, which I'm also receiving conflicting info on. One guy tells me its plug and play, next guy tells me you need to shave the sub-frame, and next tells me it needs a custom wire harness and mounts.

Any info is greatly appreciated !!
frozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Exact same driveshaft a manual SR20DET or manual KA would use in that chassis. You can get an aftermarket 1 piece driveshaft for about $300-350ish for steel if you want something new with no hassle.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
frozone

He already tried the DET driveshaft and said its too long and thick. I'll see if i can get a hold of a KA one to try!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
The length changes if you have ABS in the car or not by about 3/4" (ABS shaft is shorter, ABS diff is about 3/4" longer up front).

Seriously, this guy sounds like a dipshit. The driveshafts are the same between a KA and SR. You just have to match your transmission and If you have ABS to the donor driveshaft.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
frozone

This is what i'm being told by this guy, who is right now trying to fit a KA shaft in. "upper A bolts is off by 1.5" and no the KA is 2.4L and the block runs longer which makes a shorter drive shaft. The spine is thicker so it will work but strip super fast"

I have no idea, I'm not under the car, he's just texting me as he goes. For all i know he has the wrong drive shaft.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Def
Post Whore!

He probably has an auto shaft, it won't work. He's still am idiot btw.

The KA and SR put the transmission end in exactly the same spot. I ran a stock S13 KA MT shaft with my SR for 10 years, fit the exact same on both. Have an S15 SR in there now, fits the exact same with the driveshaft.

This is all basic swap info, you reuse your driveshaft assuming you had a MT shaft in the first place.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
frozone

It's a jdm rhd s14, now he's telling me i don't know much about nissan. I'm sure it must be the wrong shaft he has. I don't know what he thinks he's trying to pull here, but i want this car running or my cash back -.-'
Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Def
Post Whore!

Doesn't matter if it's LHD or RHD. He sounds like he knows less than nothing about Nissans.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Match the chassis and ABS/non-ABS. So if its an S14 with ABS (if its a K, it probably has it), he needs a manual S14 driveshaft for an ABS car. The diff has a longer snout on ABS diffs, so he need a shorter shaft.

ABS diffs has a sensor/pigtail on the snout:

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
frozone

Here's the biggest issue. I'm taking his word on everything. To my understanding, it's an all original s14 Silvia q from japan. With the sr20de motor (n/a) non abs. He's said he's tried the sr20det shaft, it doesn't fit, didn't say whether that one was abs or not. He tried a KA non abs manual axle that also would not fit.

I think I'm going to take a look at the car myself this weekend, see what's up and maybe hit the Nissan dealership for parts numbers on the drive shafts, and pricing if they can order me one. As replacement parts in my area (smack middle of canada) are near impossible to find.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #11
Def
Post Whore!

Just get an aftermarket shaft from shaft masters or drive shaft shop. They'll ship.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #12
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sounds like a bad situation all around. i would back out of that purchase ASAP