Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #121
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
^Those are questions for a State Ref, not a smog tech.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #122
miklos
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
miklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJASPY View Post
Dear smog tech,
question 1. A friend is telling me they no longer do the "reffing" for swapped engines in cars, he was telling me they don't really care about sr20's etc anymore as long as you pass the sniffer/db test.
So everyone in California can have an SR20 now?
miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #123
zenki.life
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
zenki.life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zenki.life
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos View Post
i highly doubt that

Quote:
Originally Posted by super240s14 View Post
man you all are ass holes...... and that is rude to talk like that on zilvia im reporting all you...... ZILVIA ADMINISTRATION PLEASE BANNED ALL THREE OF THESE DUDES
^^another person learns the perils of "stupid posting" on zilvia, too bad none will care.
zenki.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #124
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
will a stock s14(95) ka24de with the addition of 248/248 cams from the s13 ka24de pass smog????
redline racer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #125
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos View Post
No, they closed the BAR referee stations for a short time this summer (5 weeks I think, I'd have to look it up), but reopened them. If you had a ref ticket go to court at that time, you could say that you called but they couldn't get you inspected, and I heard most people ended up having to pay the fine anyway.

Regardless, Ref stations are back in action now, and cops are certainly still writing the tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
will a stock s14(95) ka24de with the addition of 248/248 cams from the s13 ka24de pass smog????
Most likely, if everything else is completely legit. Problem is, most of the cats from ~15yr old cars are 15 yrs old, and have seen more than their recommended 80,000 mi, so any increase in NOx and HC from the cam overlap will definitely show up. Maybe someone who's tried to pass with 248/248's can comment.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #126
SDS13COUPE
Zilvia FREAK!

SDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant future
Okay, I got one. I've been trying to pass the state ref in my sohc for about 2 months now. Here's the breakdown. No check engine lights and I've passed everything really clean except for NOx. It's starting to get on my nerves. Here is the #'s I'm getting.

HC CO NOx
max ave meas
15mph 118 31 26 0.75 0.100.01 799 2371666
25mph 93 20 24 0.63 0.09 0.04 738 199 321

Here is the list of parts I've replaced. Most were just maintenance but they also help.
-plugs
-plug wires
-thermostat
-cts
-fuel filter
-all vacuum lines
-I've also seafoamed the engine(before swapping plugs) and removed the egr valve and cleaned it along with the bypass pipe, and transducer.

So here is the issue. My car isn't getting hot enough. After driving to the ref they check it with the laser thermometer and it only reads between 110 and 130. The thermostat opens and the hoses pressurize, but I just don't get why it fails only at 15mph. I thought it was my fan clutch but after checking 2 other stock sohc's they have the same resistance when trying to spin em. I think I pass at 25 since the rpm's are higher in 2nd gear so the motor heats up more. I think that at 15mph the rpms are too low to heat the motor up enough. The ref even runs the car on the dyno for a minute to warm it too 150 but it still fails. I'm stuck and any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the looooooong post.
SDS13COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #127
miklos
Zilvia Member

miklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS13COUPE View Post
Okay, I got one. I've been trying to pass the state ref in my sohc for about 2 months now. Here's the breakdown. No check engine lights and I've passed everything really clean except for NOx. It's starting to get on my nerves. Here is the #'s I'm getting.

HC CO NOx
max ave meas

Here is the list of parts I've replaced. Most were just maintenance but they also help.
-plugs
-plug wires
-thermostat
-cts
-fuel filter
-all vacuum lines
-I've also seafoamed the engine(before swapping plugs) and removed the egr valve and cleaned it along with the bypass pipe, and transducer.

So here is the issue. My car isn't getting hot enough. After driving to the ref they check it with the laser thermometer and it only reads between 110 and 130. The thermostat opens and the hoses pressurize, but I just don't get why it fails only at 15mph. I thought it was my fan clutch but after checking 2 other stock sohc's they have the same resistance when trying to spin em. I think I pass at 25 since the rpm's are higher in 2nd gear so the motor heats up more. I think that at 15mph the rpms are too low to heat the motor up enough. The ref even runs the car on the dyno for a minute to warm it too 150 but it still fails. I'm stuck and any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the looooooong post.
Maybe get a hotter thermostat, turn off the fans, drive through Van Nuys in August.....it will get hot.
miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #128
SDS13COUPE
Zilvia FREAK!

SDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant futureSDS13COUPE has a brilliant future
^^
Stock fan clutch, no e-fans. Not interested in hotter thermostat. Not trying to drive all the way to Van Nuys. Anyone else got any ideas? Got another ref appointment on monday, and I want this done and over with.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #129
devnull
Zilvia Member

devnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymoredevnull is not welcome here anymore
How about a new thermostat? Thermostats are designed to fail in the fully open position. That could be the reason why it's not hot enough.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #130
SDS13COUPE
Zilvia FREAK!

I already replaced it. Any other possibilities?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #131
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to techn9ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Whats the difference between Test Only and normal Smog shops?

Is test only for 'older' cars?
test only shops are more inclined to test the car as is. we want you to pass, free retests cost us money. however, we are so closely watched, that if your shit fails (for one reason or another), we usually don't cut you any slack. get out of here, get that shit fixed somewhere else, come back for your retest, gtfo. test and repair shops MAKE MONEY off repairs. if they repair your car, they make the money for the repair, and the smog. as the name states, test only shops dont fix cars. we give the test, you take care of it yourself. test and repairs will test the car, and are allowed to fix it (if you want them to).

on being sent to test only:
california has this thing called "high emitter profile" that sends a "random" 15% of people to a test only shop for no reaason. simple as that. besides that, if your car is salvaged or a gross polluter, california sends you to test only every time, every year.

Last edited by techn9ne; 10-02-2009 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: forgot to answer 2nd part of question
techn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #132
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

techn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the roughtechn9ne is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo View Post
What does the OBD2 scanner actually read? Does it get actual RPM numbers or anything? Does it just check that the ECU sends READY for everything?
the obd2 check is a functional check. it checks to see if the monitors are complete (all but 2 must be complete in all 96 and newer vehicles) it checks to see if a dtc is in the ECU (automatic fail, no exceptions) and for an RPM signal during the smog test. i know someone is going to ask, so no, you cannot just reset the check engine light. the smog machine hooks up into the ecu, and will automatically fail you because the monitors are not complete. so to pass the obd functional, you should be able to read rpm from your diagnostic connector, all but 2 monitors must be set to "ready", and you must not have a check engine light/dtc
Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #133
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJASPY View Post
Dear smog tech,
question 1. A friend is telling me they no longer do the "reffing" for swapped engines in cars, he was telling me they don't really care about sr20's etc anymore as long as you pass the sniffer/db test.

question 2. What would it take to pass a ls1 in a s14? The car would have two cats, two mufflers, and be quiet. It would also be running the stock ecu/pcm and all factory vacume lines will connected. Engine will also be newer than the chasis. Any other rules to get it to pass?
rumor had that awhile back, that california laid off the refs, couldnt pay them, whatever. i dont know if thats true or not.

as for question 2
read appendix E of the smog check guide.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...heck_Guide.pdf

if you are going to bother making this swap legit, i would try and talk to a referee so you can find out exactly what you need to do. once again, he is pretty much the final authority smogwise.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #134
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
last time i checked, smog checks didnt get x-ray vision when we got our license. we dont know what we cant see, and assume all internals are stock unless the customer informs us. so, if your car passes with the old cams, and you dont rat yourself out, it is what it is. but if you wanna get technical, they are older parts from an older engine, therefore older model emissions components, and technically fails.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #135
SDS13COUPE
Zilvia FREAK!

Any recommendations on my ish Mr Tech9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS13COUPE View Post

HC CO NOx
max ave meas

-plugs
-plug wires
-thermostat
-cts
-fuel filter
-all vacuum lines

Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #136
sentiumprogram
Zilvia Member

sentiumprogram is a well-known jackass

I have the same problem... Hi NO readings...on my Honda Accord 4 cylinder.

Im going to try some suggestions some of you members suggested. some of you seem to have the same problem as I do.
sentiumprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #137
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

nox is increased when:
cylinder temperatures are too high (carbon, motor running hot)
ignition timing is too advanced (base timing or timing advance)
defective egr (not just the valve, the vacuum sources clogged, etc)
lean fuel mixture (low fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, shitty injectors, bad fuel pressure regulator)
if all the above is perfect, check the catalytic convertor. (more than once before you get a new one, these shits are expensive, and dont go bad for no reason, no matter what the shady smog guy tells you)
Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #138
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentiumprogram View Post

I have the same problem... Hi NO readings...on my Honda Accord 4 cylinder.

Im going to try some suggestions some of you members suggested. some of you seem to have the same problem as I do.
theres a somewhat common problem with accord 4 cylinders. the egr ports get clogged with carbon. theres a technical service bulletin on it somewhere if you can find it
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #139
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I just failed my smog 3 mins ago, im on my laptop using his Wi-Fi, he seems pretty mad cause its pass or dont pay, =\ but yeah heres the results, the HC for 15mph was measured at 132 and maximum allowed was 118, my NOx at 15 was measured at 1556 and maximum allowed is 799. I had no problem for HC at the 25mph test but the NOx was still high measured at 806, and max allowed is 738, the guy said I should check my CAT...

what do you guys think..

its a stock KA24DE with straight pipe...

let me know if u need my other numbers
joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #140
SlideKing92
Zilvia Member

SlideKing92 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just failed smog and need help cause re registration is coming up in a few weeks and i would like to be able to drive my car. Any help would be great. Here is my numbers. I failed for high CO and high NO

CO Max is: 0.75 and i measured 1.10 for it
NO Max is: 799 and i measured 1993 for it

when i bought the car about 1 1/2 years ago it pass smog with no problems... now this.
The smog guy said i probably need a new cat, but if there is a way i can get my numbers down with out having to dig deep in my wallet for a California legal cat that would be great. I hear seafoam i hear changing the O2 sensor, spark plugs ect ect and i was wondering what you think

Thanks
SlideKing92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #141
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
seafoam kills ur cat
joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #142
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
wow....this is why i dont live in Cali. I'm certified for NY inspections where we have smog on obd II vehicles..but def not as strict as any of this.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #143
JDM Sil4ty
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
JDM Sil4ty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Techn9ne, please help .. i failed smog too but my numbers were pretty close .. idk what else to replace .. =/.

this is from the first test i took ..

my second test, i only replaced my rear o2 sensor because thats wat the CEL was for .. i didnt have a CEL bulb when i took the 1st test -_- ..
the numbers read MAX: 53 Measured: 56 HC PPM
MAX: 704 Measured: 751

my zenki failing ..

Last edited by JDM Sil4ty; 10-09-2009 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: words
JDM Sil4ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #144
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeapple8 View Post
I just failed my smog 3 mins ago, im on my laptop using his Wi-Fi, he seems pretty mad cause its pass or dont pay, =\ but yeah heres the results, the HC for 15mph was measured at 132 and maximum allowed was 118, my NOx at 15 was measured at 1556 and maximum allowed is 799. I had no problem for HC at the 25mph test but the NOx was still high measured at 806, and max allowed is 738, the guy said I should check my CAT...

what do you guys think..

its a stock KA24DE with straight pipe...

let me know if u need my other numbers
if "straight pipe" means no catalytic convertor
you should probably get one. if it means a muffler tip, read on.

easy stuff first. timing, check for vacuum leaks, fouled plugs, wires, obvious shit.
high HC and NOx sometimes mean a misfire. check how much o2 is coming out at the 15mph. if it is high, there is unburned oxygen coming out. check for a misfire. if O2 is low, check the EGR valve, it may be malfunctioning.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #145
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideKing92 View Post
I just failed smog and need help cause re registration is coming up in a few weeks and i would like to be able to drive my car. Any help would be great. Here is my numbers. I failed for high CO and high NO

CO Max is: 0.75 and i measured 1.10 for it
NO Max is: 799 and i measured 1993 for it

when i bought the car about 1 1/2 years ago it pass smog with no problems... now this.
The smog guy said i probably need a new cat, but if there is a way i can get my numbers down with out having to dig deep in my wallet for a California legal cat that would be great. I hear seafoam i hear changing the O2 sensor, spark plugs ect ect and i was wondering what you think

Thanks
is this during the 15mph or 25mph?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #146
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM Sil4ty View Post
Techn9ne, please help .. i failed smog too but my numbers were pretty close .. idk what else to replace .. =/.

this is from the first test i took ..

my second test, i only replaced my rear o2 sensor because thats wat the CEL was for .. i didnt have a CEL bulb when i took the 1st test -_- ..
the numbers read MAX: 53 Measured: 56 HC PPM
MAX: 704 Measured: 751

my zenki failing ..

is your EGR system good?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #147
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeapple8 View Post
seafoam kills ur cat
i personally haven't had any problems with it, but im sure other people have.

burned oil, unburned fuel, and lean exhaust fuck catalytic convertors up. they either melt or clog the substrate.

i have seafoamed my 197xxx mile stock KA a number of times. half the time just to see the spy hunter smoke cloud behind me. and it would be just embarrassing if my car didn't pass smog, right?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #148
SlideKing92
Zilvia Member

SlideKing92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh sorry it was at 15mph please help my numbers are still above^^^
SlideKing92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #149
techn9ne
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideKing92 View Post
Oh sorry it was at 15mph please help my numbers are still above^^^
is hc low?
look for something causing a lean condition, or a lean misfire. you have partially burned fuel (co) coming out, as well as high levels of Nox (high cylinder temps, lean air/fuel mix, advanced timing).
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #150
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
so i got reffed lol for my external coil,and floor mounted computer (granted i have obd 1 ka) which means he cited me for my stock external coil and assumed i had after market ecu but it was my stock one (m.fullen oceanside pd serial number 1274) effing dumbass citing me for not knowing what the hell is stock or not

so i went to the ref passed all visual but fail the
15 mph :hc 88/103 and no 704/713 <can i run that guranteed to pass juice and lower these numbers? 25mph i passed all so ya whats the best thing i can do? my timing was 18 btdc if i move to 20 or 22 can i lower these number enough to pass?

the repairs ive done
new oem o2 ,oem egr valve,oem egr solenoid,all vac lines changed,new plugs and wires ONLY THING I HAVENT CHANGED WAS CAT, BUT I PASS SMOG COUPLE MONTHS AGO if i have a messed up cat wouldnt i fail across the board ?
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote