Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
SidewayzAsFck
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
SidewayzAsFck can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Question Need advice: Lsx build>>> Cd009 or T56??

Okay, so i need some advice on what setup is best for my new lsx build. I am parting out my sr20det setup which includes BNIB cd009 aluminum DS, Gktech brackets & mounts, gktech shifter adapter, autotech cd009 adapter plate, SS lines and everything else needed to mate it to a sr20det.

Since I am now going lq4/9 motor, I have to decide whether to keep the cd009 (77k miles on it) & get the adapter pieces for the lsx build or sell everything and buy a tremec t56 transmission.

Some people say that the gears are a bit short in the cd009 for the ls motors (running a 3.6 gear ratio with my 1.5 hlsd) and after looking at a few cd009-lsx adapters it seems like the pricing will add up quickly for both the cd009 & sourcing a t56. So i wanted to feedback on which setup may be best for the money & if the extra cost of the t56 is justified by better fitment/performance.
SidewayzAsFck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you're running a 3.6 rear end you'll be fine with the z33 trans gear ratios. I can see them being too short with a 4.08 and the rpms of the v8.
I don't think anyone will say that a T56 performs better than the CD009. Simply not the case.

Want to sell that driveshaft by itself?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I have never driven a CD009, however I can say with my T56 and 4.08 gears I enjoy the way the car drives. I think this depends on what hes doing with the car??
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The gear ratios between the two transmission are strikingly different. LS+T56 on 4.08 seems to drive fine. LS+CD9 on 4.08 is going to have very short usable gear since you'll probably lose a couple thousand rpms compared to a VQ or SR. Thus a longer ring and pinion could be beneficial.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
SidewayzAsFck
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry man, I didn’t even realize that someone replied on this. I will be sticking with the cd009 setup and hopefully with the changed gearing it will still be enjoyable to drive. If not then I will have to figure something else out i guess. I appreciate the input and sorry sy90 sold it a bit ago
Old 03-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you're going to shift like an asshole, CD009
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Look into the CD00A
Old 03-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Plug the two trans gear info into an online gear ratio calculator. It'll help you figure out speed to rpm, and max speed in each gear based on redline.

Then you can figure out which trans best meets your needs. Do you want high rpms and slow speeds for autox, or do you want taller gears for road courses/daily driving?
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
SidewayzAsFck
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks brother, I will definitely look into it
Old 09-03-2019, 03:13 AM   #10
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewayzAsFck View Post
Thanks brother, I will definitely look into it
What did you end up going with? I’m in the same situation. What worked for you bro?
DarkSlide77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
SidewayzAsFck
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSlide77 View Post
What did you end up going with? I’m in the same situation. What worked for you bro?
Ended up going with a CD009 brother and I wouldn't look back. You can get them brand new for a little less than 2k if push comes to shove, it shifts better (T56 has a more truck feel to it I’ve heard), and holds up just as great as any t56. It’s also smooth as butter and I haven't even filled the trans up with new oil yet.

Myself and 2 other friend are running similar big turbo setups. My setup specifically is a < 50k mile cd009, Collins adapter kit (the entire kit offering from them isn’t bad from them actually), monster stage 3 ls1 clutch with billet FW (custom spline installed by monster for the cd009 costed extra $150), definitely get a remote bleeder, gktech shifter adapter relocation + Collins trans mount, running z33 axels + auto z33 VLSD 3.3 gear ratio. Also the modification needed to make it work is very easy and there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. It does cost a good amount for the initial setup but it’s very similar to the LS swap itself where the swap parts are really the bulk of the cost but if you destroy the motor or trans the replacement cost is much less than other alternatives ( Sr/jr/rb or t56).

Just a small note, I actually bought a Pontiac gto bellhousing (I did not know & had a lot of trial and error before figuring it out) by accident off the forums and finding a starter was a pain as they have a slight differences in design (which makes the gm starters not fit) and not all stores keep the gto starters in stock.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
DarkSlide77
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really niceDarkSlide77 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewayzAsFck View Post
Ended up going with a CD009 brother and I wouldn't look back. You can get them brand new for a little less than 2k if push comes to shove, it shifts better (T56 has a more truck feel to it I?ve heard), and holds up just as great as any t56. It?s also smooth as butter and I haven't even filled the trans up with new oil yet.

Myself and 2 other friend are running similar big turbo setups. My setup specifically is a < 50k mile cd009, Collins adapter kit (the entire kit offering from them isn?t bad from them actually), monster stage 3 ls1 clutch with billet FW (custom spline installed by monster for the cd009 costed extra $150), definitely get a remote bleeder, gktech shifter adapter relocation + Collins trans mount, running z33 axels + auto z33 VLSD 3.3 gear ratio. Also the modification needed to make it work is very easy and there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. It does cost a good amount for the initial setup but it?s very similar to the LS swap itself where the swap parts are really the bulk of the cost but if you destroy the motor or trans the replacement cost is much less than other alternatives ( Sr/jr/rb or t56).

Just a small note, I actually bought a Pontiac gto bellhousing (I did not know & had a lot of trial and error before figuring it out) by accident off the forums and finding a starter was a pain as they have a slight differences in design (which makes the gm starters not fit) and not all stores keep the gto starters in stock.

Sorry just saw this now...

I see you?re running a lower gear ratio. How does it drive? I?m going to be running the stock 4.08 rear end. I?ll be using it for drifting but I?m still worried it might be a bit too short. Do you think it?ll be too short with a 4.08 rear end?

How much did you spend on the whole trans swap to get it running? Sound like it gets expensive! I?m completely torn between T56s and CD009.. I don?t know which one will be better for drifting now with a Na 5.3 estimated 330hp AND for future power gains (boosted 5.3 or maybe even LS7 if I can someday afford it) I want to do it once, do it right. Basically.... I want room to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DarkSlide77 is offline   Reply With Quote