Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #1591
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
I welded up some more parts to my chasis at school. However as we were making progress the stupid argon ran out, and it was 3pm on a saturday so no one was open.

I forgot to take my camera so i'll post up pics of the new stuff I did, this week.

Some of my welds came out cleaner after I took the advice of using a sander to clean the tungsten. It gave me more control over where my heat was going too, made me feel more in control.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #1592
romerider153

Trader Rating: (0)
romerider153 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i suppose ill share my tube chassis 240 with you guys

romerider153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #1593
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ Sick!!! What does it weigh?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #1594
slidewaysmn
Leaky Injector

slidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really niceslidewaysmn is just really nice
You are a boss!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #1595
romerider153

idk what it weighs right now to be honest the sr has been replaced with a TTvh41 and that whole little project is in the works still so ill have to get it up on the corner scales once i got everything mocked into place
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #1596
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im totally blown away right now... why has this not been done before? very inovative! please keep us up to date on the progress!
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #1597
rbpowerds14
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (5)
rbpowerds14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn4 View Post
Im totally blown away right now... why has this not been done before? very inovative! please keep us up to date on the progress!
it has been done but mainly because the 240sx chassis is used for drifting, where a "full" tube chassis setup is frowned apon(illegal)
rbpowerds14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #1598
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
4sfed180 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4sfed180
why did you end up keeping a mcpherson strut setup if you went pretty much all tube chassis?

might as well convert to a double wishbone at this point. no going back to stock
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #1599
romerider153

yea i was going to do that but money and time restrants kinda held me back and i already had a set of expensive coilovers but you never know its only metal it can all be cut up and re designed so well see whats in store for it in the future and yea this car is deff not legal for d1 or anything
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #1600
roco
Leaky Injector

roco is an unknown quantity at this point
these are two short 4-1 v8 manifolds i knocked up today out of scrap stainless for my yolk. there the best i could make withe the JIGSAW of old exhaust bits i had. size is good and flow is good, would have liked them a bit longer but hey, better than the stock cast logs.

some of the bits i had to work with...

mocking up the bends getting a idea?

L/H/S manifold,

L/H/S manifold.

and both side by side.

if your wondering why the crazy loops, like i said there made from bits of excess material/scrap and i didnt have alot of room to work with so the bends go around the steering column. still have to finish them off with down pipe and flexi.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #1601
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Totally cool that they're out of scraps! They look pretty good ~

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #1602
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Did some Custom 3" FMIC for a customer yesterday, sorry for the shitty cellphone pics haha

T6-6061 16Ga Aluminum Piping. needs polish to be supper sexy

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #1603
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Nice work. For the most part, the welds look pretty good. Some beads are fat though and some are skinny lol no biggie though.

I'd like to learn to weld aluminum

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #1604
mangoes
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
WHAOHOWHAOWHOAHWOHAWOHOAHWOHAWH!!!! looks so awesome!!! thanks juan!

Outside Family
mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #1605
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
JuanTon, youre welds are looking sexier every day.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #1606
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Haha Thanks guys yeah practice makes perfect it had actually been a while since i did some aluminum fab work. definetly missed working with aluminum i enjoyed every minute of it. i'll have updated pics later on today. Just got done installing the real couplers that are going on it. (4ply high heat silicone) and Stainless Steel Tbolt clamps. can we say balling? haha

Edit:
This is what 140$ in couplers and clamps looks like

aren't 2" T-bolt clamps the cutest thing? lol

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #1607
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Why does the piping from the turbo to the IC get dramatically wider?
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #1608
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Wow I shoulda realized that was Jordans car lol. Jordan your car is comin' together man!
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 AM   #1609
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Watching you guys and all that welding projects makes me regret of my carrer choices.
cured13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #1610
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Why does the piping from the turbo to the IC get dramatically wider?
The piping off the turbo is 2", the piping going into the intercooler is 3" - you can make up for that with 3"->2.5" coupler, 2.5" piping, and 2.5"->2" coupler, like Greddy does, or you can just cut a piece of aluminum to knock the 3" piping down to 2" right by the turbo, like Juan has done.

I don't know how you get all that done in a day - that's SOOOO much work! lol

Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #1611
YoungGun
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
YoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Nice welds man, i'm gonna hit you up to get some work done haha.
YoungGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #1612
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Well here are the first ones out of the Jig...

Now I just need to double check fitment and I can add these to my product list.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #1613
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Well here are the first ones out of the Jig...

Now I just need to double check fitment and I can add these to my product list.

Nice design, where does it bolt in the front?
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #1614
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Nice design, where does it bolt in the front?
Thanks! Here are my prototypes bolted to my car...

Now all the end plates are laser cut, but there are tons of parts that make up the gussets and the stand offs.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #1615
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #1616
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Haha, should rev super quick with that backpressure!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #1617
3AM
Leaky Injector

3AM is making a name for him/her self3AM is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
The piping off the turbo is 2", the piping going into the intercooler is 3" - you can make up for that with 3"->2.5" coupler, 2.5" piping, and 2.5"->2" coupler, like Greddy does, or you can just cut a piece of aluminum to knock the 3" piping down to 2" right by the turbo, like Juan has done.

I don't know how you get all that done in a day - that's SOOOO much work! lol

isnt it beneficial to keep the diameter smaller until right up near to the IC?
that way youd maintain the higher velocity and there'd be less volume...
resulting in greater response.
3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:01 AM   #1618
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3AM View Post
isnt it beneficial to keep the diameter smaller until right up near to the IC?
that way youd maintain the higher velocity and there'd be less volume...
resulting in greater response.
Yup, you want the overall volume of intercooler piping to be as small as possible, but up by the intercooler, it's all bends - really hard to drop the diameter down up there I guess.

I had my latest piping fab'd (S13 SR in S14, S13-style piping and Greddy S14 hotpipe), and it was a bitch lol. It's all theoretical when you're reviewing someone's shit online, but when it's your car that you just want to be able to drive, "Whatever works" is the name of the game.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #1619
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I love you Jonnie.
I have your front tension arm brace. <3

Any ideas on a price for the new brace.

Also, guys I've been thinking about getting into welding.
Are the cheap Lincoln mig welding machines (non-flux core) fine for beginners to learn with?
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #1620
3AM
Leaky Injector

3AM is making a name for him/her self3AM is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Yup, you want the overall volume of intercooler piping to be as small as possible, but up by the intercooler, it's all bends - really hard to drop the diameter down up there I guess.

I had my latest piping fab'd (S13 SR in S14, S13-style piping and Greddy S14 hotpipe), and it was a bitch lol. It's all theoretical when you're reviewing someone's shit online, but when it's your car that you just want to be able to drive, "Whatever works" is the name of the game.
well when I did mine I used a silicon reducer straight off the side of the cooler, and keeping the pipe small all the way. so im not just reviewing someones shit online... probably easier and quicker infact with less welding and matching to do... silicon reducer was like $15
3AM is offline   Reply With Quote