Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
Blixtin

Trader Rating: (0)
Blixtin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 Sr20det redlines at startup

Just swapped my zenki sr20det into my kouki. I have a FMIC, HKS SSQV BOV (not recirculated), stock intake with K&N filter, Kouki MAF & ECU, and a new radiator. I dont have the cat or exhaust hooked in yet because the car isnt running

My vacuum lines are cold pipe to stock wastegate. Top right plug from throttle body goes to the BOV but did not use the plastic filter. All others are plugged

[IMG][/IMG]

The issue is at startup. I start the car and it idles rough for a few seconds before it revs up towards redline. I have no idea what is causing this but I feel like it has to be a massive vacuum leak somewhere

I have checked:
+ fuel lines are installed correctly
+ all couplers are on tight and correct
+ plugged large and small hole on stock rubber intake pipe
+ HKS BOV appears to be on tight and doesnt spin
+ throttle body "inner" screws are on
+ throttle cable is attached with two watchers and doesnt seem to be pulling too much on the throttle
+ grounds seem to be right for W/S harness
+ capped all vacuum lines on intake manifold / throttle body that are under the throttle body
+ capped large outlet on cold pipe intended for BOV

Any ideas? I think it is a massive vacuum leak but I am not sure as I have gone over the car a lot but maybe I am missing something on the intake manifold. Is it because my BOV is not recirced?
Blixtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixtin View Post

+ capped large outlet on cold pipe intended for BOV

Pics are broken. Are you sure this isn’t for the IACV that you forgot to hook up?
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
nick_d_240sx
Leaky Injector

nick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymore
Have you verified that the throttle body is functioning properly? I had a similar problem, turned out a ziptie had fallen into the intercooler, got sucked into the throttlebody and wedged throttle plate open. Luckily I got it before it went into the engine.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Blixtin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Pics are broken. Are you sure this isn’t for the IACV that you forgot to hook up?
My cold pipe had 3 nipples. Largest outlet I capped assuming it was for BOV as I saw Project Grip s14 use it for that. Medium outlet I attached to the IACV port. Small outlet runs to the wastegate

I tried to attach an engine bay picture to this
Old 03-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Blixtin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_d_240sx View Post
Have you verified that the throttle body is functioning properly? I had a similar problem, turned out a ziptie had fallen into the intercooler, got sucked into the throttlebody and wedged throttle plate open. Luckily I got it before it went into the engine.
I checked and did not see anything wedged open.

Shouldnt the throttle body remain slight open at all times? I imagine a small amount of air is needed even at idle

I plan to try to start the car without the throttle cable engaged today to see if I still rev up
Old 03-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
Blixtin

Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Shouldnt the throttle body remain slight open at all times? I imagine a small amount of air is needed even at idle

That’s what the IACV is for. Check to make sure yours is hooked up and working properly
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
I checked and did not see anything wedged open.

I plan to try to start the car without the throttle cable engaged today to see if I still rev up
Sounds like you need to adjust your throttle cable, your throttle plate should be closed at idle.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
Blixtin

Thanks everyone...

I disconnected the throttle cable completely and the car idles rough but doesnt rev up like crazy. I looked closer at the bracket and there was some welding done to it so it must be off from stock position.

Now, I am off to figure out if I can buy one or if I have to build it.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
usually its custom (speaking from s13/aftermarket intake manifold experience) but if that's what did it you should be able to adjust the cable with the nuts on either side of the bracket to allow it to close...then you can start getting the rough idle out of the way!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote