Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #31
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I like the practicality of the washer nozzle. I might consider doing that
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #32
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
I like the practicality of the washer nozzle. I might consider doing that
Yea its a pretty easy mod. not too sure how effective it is but since all it involves is running some vacuum line i'm not really bothered if it doesn't work.

So I'm still in the midst of doing my wiring. This past weekend I neatened up and tucked my engine harness.

It took a good half hour to de-loom the stock harness. It being my first time wiring had some friends come by and point me in the right direction. started out on the passenger side as it is simpler.

I started out by re-routing the harness through the firewall in one of the old A/c Holes. I routed the silver resistor (?) box and mounted it behind the dash. Running the wires through the firewall seemed like a no brainer because rubbing through harnesses is the worst.

I extended the Wiper harness so it could be hidden along the seam of the firewall/ wheel arch and shortened the MAFS wire. All that is left on the passenger side is the 02 sensor.

The only things that needed to be adjusted (lengthened / shortened) was the TPS plug, IACV Plug and the connector that goes to the ignitor.

Ratsnest of depression.

Came in the other day and found these on my windshield.

Once I was satisfied with how everything was routed, I pulled it all out and re-loomed everything.

I dont really have a great picture of the finished product, mostly because the unloomed chassis harness and partly exposed coilpack harness makes everything look ugly. The best part of this manifold is that everything can be hidden under it. It does look 9032849023 times better in person.

All my AN fittings and Lines for my fuel setup will be in tomorrow so expect an update on that shortly.

-Jordie
Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #33
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Before and after pictures?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #34
Keenan Galley

Keenan Galley is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve Cover <3
Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #35
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Before and after pictures?
I dont have any before pictures because I am putting it back together with the new manifold. But the car looked like this not that long ago haha

Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #36
maces13
Leaky Injector

maces13 is an unknown quantity at this point
The 90s were the best, stick to that baseline man. And it definitely shows you don't pass up any small detail great job
maces13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #37
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
If only you can find these

Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #38
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

I have been messaging the owner back and forth, the reality is I need to have my car running before buying seats.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #39
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Mechanically the car is set to go. The fuel system was finished off and all the vacuum lines were ran. Unfortunately, The chassis wiring was not completed on time and my car had to leave the storage unit.

I am pretty upset that it didnt leave 100% running but I did make HUGE progress in the 3 months that it was there. All that is left is to finalize all the connections on the chassis harness and run the cable for the battery relocation and paint the aero and it should be on the road in the spring time.

Before I put the car on jackstands and covered it up I threw on the aero for a little motivation to get me though winter. I just wish it was nicer out today so I could see what The engine bay paint looks like in the sun.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #40
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
What's winter storage?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #41
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Awesome build man, love the theme and style. Your progress has been great, keep it up!
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #42
Shakotan_Z
Leaky Injector

Shakotan_Z is an unknown quantity at this point
90's vibes. The feels.
Shakotan_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #43
wacko2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
wacko2 is making a name for him/her selfwacko2 is making a name for him/her selfwacko2 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
R32 looking good
wacko2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #44
kunt_masha
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kunt_masha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
want an r32 so bad.

kunt_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #45
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Need updates.

op pls
Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #46
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Patience, what a virtue it is! Patience seems to always build rad cars.
Kids oughta learn. Keep updates coming!
blackmags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #47
Hoonigan19
Leaky Injector

Hoonigan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sick! that engine bay before and after thou!
Hoonigan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #48
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Thanks for all the kind words guys, glad people enjoy this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmags91 View Post
Patience, what a virtue it is! Patience seems to always build rad cars.
Kids oughta learn. Keep updates coming!
No Kidding, I havent driven the car since Sept 2011. The past couple of years have gone by super quick with getting the house and getting the ball rolling with my career.

Turbo Timer Enclosure Build: Was completed a while ago but since my car is wrapped up for the winter (and no new progress can be made) I thought I'd Share. Sorry for the Iphone 4 pics, This mod happened a while ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoy the small details that go into a build and really separate it apart from the "off the shelf mods".

Whilst many argue that Turbo Timers are useless and unnecessary, my car came with some oldschool HKS one already wired in. However it was just double sided taped to the side of the centre console and that would just not cut it.

I First saw a turbo timer / boost controller enclosure made by Broadfield way back in the NICO days. I took a half ass stab at it one day on my condo balcony and it obviously didnt turn out well and I gave up before ever really making progress.

Fast forward a couple of years and I had moved into my place and had more room to work and 3d printing was starting to really take off. I had started my career as an industrial designer and we just so happned to have a new printer in the office. Time to put it to good use.

Quick mock up in Solidworks

Hit Print and wait a few hours....

Part 1 is done

Next I took the lower dash cover off and made a cutout to fit the 3d printed piece and epoxy'd it into place.

I then filled the gaps with a thin layer of bondo sanded it smooth.

To make the mod look as oem as possible I cleaned, primed and painted the whole panel with SEM chip / rock guard.

The final product looks like its almost factory installed. Its not too intrusive and hides away nicely under the dash.

As always, the devils in the details.

I will update as things happen or as parts come in thanks for reading,

-Jordie
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #49
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Wow, that is awesome! So well done. Nissan engineers would be proud haha.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #50
nielssan

nielssan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to nielssan
Oh the possibilities...

Looks fantastic.

Your first attempt was a map light, right? ^^
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #51
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Haven't updated for some obvious reasons.

I do not have a garage which makes for very slow progress during the winter. If any.

I spent most of the winter browsing for parts but had a tough time pulling the trigger on anything as the canadian dollar was (still is) very weak.

[/url]

The above picture has been my wallpaper at work over the course of the winter and I found myself absolutely hating how the car looked with 18's in the rear lowered with stock arms.

Adjustable arms were needed next. I managed to locally source (CDN dollars) new driftworks toe arms and ISIS Pro RUCA's. Being a brand whore im kinda bummed I couldn't source some brand name parts but it is what it is.

This past weekend was the first nice weekend we have had so far so it was time for a little driveway tuning.

Out with the old and in with the gold

No more silly camber and toe. I wanted to make some final adjustments this today after work but its absolutely pouring.

Bay paint looks amazing in the sun, hard to tell in pictures as it is so dusty.

I still need to finish the wiring, thats next on the list as it didnt get completely done last fall.

Oh and I bought a new daily. My 98 civic was on its last legs and this came up for the right price. I've wanted one forever.

More updates to come, Im currently designing my catch can setup which should be laser cut in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #52
Heywood Jablomie
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Heywood Jablomie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Love the old school hks livery valve covers man, and the use of 3d printed parts is so rad! Keep killin it, car is going to be gangster.
Heywood Jablomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #53
s13rhdhatch
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13rhdhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Great stuff man,keep it up.
s13rhdhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #54
future
Post Whore!

That paint though
Old 04-14-2015, 05:45 AM   #55
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielssan View Post
Oh the possibilities...

Looks fantastic.

Your first attempt was a map light, right? ^^
Thanks. The first attempt was with an S13 map light but it required way more sanding and filling than I thought it was worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie View Post
Love the old school hks livery valve covers man, and the use of 3d printed parts is so rad! Keep killin it, car is going to be gangster.
Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
That paint though
I really should clean it. The pictures dont do it any justice. It looks amazing in the sunlight.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #56
JRex
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JRex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Love everything about this car. I want to do my jz valve covers that hks camo but don't think I'm that skilled. lol

Get her on the road already!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #57
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Mini @ work update.

I've been getting through the wiring slowly. The car did not have A/C or the original factory triple projector headlights up when I bought it . This meant there were many unused connectors that i couldn't mark when I removed the harness.

The scanned factory service manual is difficult to read was everything is pixelated but I am pretty much there in terms of wiring.

The engine bay is coming together nicely and my catch can has been sent to get laser cut.

I do need a new hood prop :/

The catch can will be mounted behind the passenger side shock tower and will be plumbed back into the intake.

This is where I really wish I still had the luxury of playing with CNC machines. Instead now I have to pay to have it cut out

Ill update when I am home tonight with better pictures. The weather here has been rainy for the past couple days which is also making progress a little slow.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #58
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Car is perfect. I hope you polish that manifold one day!
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #59
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramonesfreak2010 View Post
Car is perfect. I hope you polish that manifold one day!
Thanks, The manifold was polished. Ill likely get it powdercoated black someday.

Hokey So. Last year I thought it would be an awesome idea to do a wire tuck on my chassis harness and started racing against the clock to get it done whist the car was at my friends shop. Long story short I ran out of time, got discouraged and left the car looking like this:

Awesome.

Having ZERO automotive wiring knowledge meant I had no idea where to begin. Eventually I knew it had to be completed and I am too cheap to take it to a shop to complete it so I had to do it myself.

So naturally I started with something completely different. My remote battery terminals. I have relocated my battery to behind the passenger seat. With the 4 pt (soon the be 5pt) cage in the back, having seats back there is completely useless.

Enter the rear seat delete (mockup)

Streetcar > Budget wannabe racecar. I hate the stripped out caged look so I took it upon myself to make a rear "shelf" / Storage unit for the back. My Del Sol has little lock boxes so no one thieves your stuff when the roof is off and I thought something similar would work well in the R32. I am undecided on what material to make this from. Plywood was cheap and serves as a great material for mocking everything up.

The intention is to use FC RX-7 Storage bins; One for the battery and the other to store a small emergency toolkit. Similar to this:

Back to the remote terminals. Relocating the battery to what is essentially the middle of the car would make accessing the battery a pain. I machined out a bracket to utilize the mounting points for the rear wiper (which was deleted)

and ran the battery leads to the passenger side rear seat.

Oh and if you're planning on doing any extensive wiring, do yourself a favour and get one of these:

You can adjust the tension and they cut perfectly smooth. No more sharp jagged zipties. your hands and arms will thank you later.

Back to the task at hand. I slowly started making sense of the wiring harness, the online diagrams were terrible and super pixelated. By breaking it down into smaller sections everything became manageable.

being Garage/ Shopless meant working outside.

Many of the components that were located on the firewall were relocated behind the centre stack. Heres the wiper regulator and stock boost gauge sensor.

All electrical systems go! (First time in oh.... 4 years)

I put my interior back together as all that is left is to wire up the gauges. The plan is it have a fused terminal block for constant and switched power to allow me to easily add accessories in the future. Yesterday was a holiday so I couldnt go out and buy the components I needed.

Im so stoked that this is behind me. It was such a huge hurdle but didnt end out being that difficult.

My catch can should be done this week. The parts have been laser cut and just need to be bent and welded up. Hopefully Ill be adding fluids this week and starting it up in the near future.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #60
future
Post Whore!

I love this build!