Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
SR ECU's..Possible differences..

Alright I've done a bunch of searching, and just can't find a definite answer for this..and I understand this has been covered before. But no thread explains a definite answer.

I'm running a blacktop sr, it came with a 62 ECU, which everything felt right and I had no issues, Until water destroyed it..As you can see here.

ImageShack Album - 5 images

Well I needed the car ASAP and my buddy only had a 63 for me to buy. I've been using this ECU for the past few days and it just doesn't feel right for one. When under steady load, or just driving in general it feels like its holding back, then it just gains its power and shoots off. Hard to explain, I'm sure you all understand lmao.

Also get a gassy smell from exhaust that I never got with the 62. Believe I could be running a bit rich with this ECU, sadly no wide band, and no smoke from the exhaust. Rarely ever has a backfire, but when I downshift or have the car under load with no throttle it has that srt4/subby muffled popping sound. Also never did this previously.

Now to the point..I've from several diff comments that the 62/63 make no difference besides being from an automatic and having that idle hang, which I haven't experienced. Have read the 63 has more of a conservative timing..Also read the 63 has a different fuel map than the 62 does.

Also I know this is in the "Chat" section.
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
Just had my Auto 63 ECU tuned by Enthalpy and I had Questions also but He told me Its fine.talk to The Guys there if you have questions.

I ran a 63 on a old SR and it was Fine too. You have another problem I think that could be coincidental - especially with water in the equation.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Boost_Fiend
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Boost_Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what o2 sensor are you running? the #63 is a redtop ecu i believe so you need to be running the skinny o2, NOT the fat o2. your car will run super rich otherwise.
Boost_Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Yea I have to double check which o2 sensor I got on there. I believe it may be the fat o2. Also read that the readings are the same between the two, then hear from others that there is a diff. Hence why I've put this up to get things straight haha.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Going to rego over everything tonight, and Di-electric grease all connectors and such. Idles like a clock, but under load it just has that holdback, feels like I'm a matchbox car and someone is holding me back lmao.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From my understanding (which admittedly might be wrong), the only difference between the Manual Black Top ECU (E5) and the Manual Red Top ECU (62) is the o2 sensor it's tuned for.

I would then assume that the differences between MT and Auto are the only difference between the 62 and 63.

If anything, the auto timing & fuel map should be MORE aggressive to make up for the slushbox...

Hope that helps lol, i'm not sure it will
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Yea I see where your coming from..I'm about to unplug my oxygen sensor and see if it makes a diff. If that makes sense.