Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #91
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any updates on this beast? Been missing some true blue car building.
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2020, 08:58 PM   #92
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Drift View Post
Any updates on this beast? Been missing some true blue car building.
There’s a ton of updates and I’ve been slacking. Last season was a bittersweet whirlwind with some decent finishes and reliability issues. I will update properly soon now that covid is slowing everything down.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #93
Niz

Niz is an unknown quantity at this point
So glad I found this thread! Not looking to turn my S13 into a drift missle, but something I can enjoy an occasional track day/autox event in. Good info in here and awesome build.
Niz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #94
gills
Zilvia Junkie

gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niz View Post
So glad I found this thread! Not looking to turn my S13 into a drift missle, but something I can enjoy an occasional track day/autox event in. Good info in here and awesome build.
Thanks man. Starting to repeat myself here, but the thread is in dire need of an update. So here's a small one.

With Covid-19 going on, the AER races at Pittrace in Western PA and Watkins Glen were cancelled. AER was able to book Nelson Ledges in Ohio in the beginning of June for a single 9 hour race to make up for the lost races, but not sure we'll be able to make that one. Next after that is New Jersey in mid June, which is our target for the first race if it also doesn't get cancelled. Pittrace was rescheduled for July and Watkins Glen is done for 2020 as it's incredibly difficult to rent that track for weekend events. They may consider doing a weekday race there if teams are up for it.

There are big-ish changes this year as well. Looking to get some more power (30-50 more bhp....I'll let you guys guess how we're doing that ), increasing fuel capacity, and also going proper manual brakes in the car (balance bar/dual MC setup...not Chase Bays single MC style) without using off-the-shelf pedals boxes. Possibly a brake caliper change also (Wilwood to Stoptech) if my testing of caliper deflection warrants it, and perhaps offer a BBK to run these calipers as well.

I also am converting/simplifying the electrical system to run a solid state Power Distribution Module (PDM) from Cartek Motorsports. Those not familiar, these units eliminate standard fuses and relays from the system and all the wiring that runs to them from your typical switch panel. They're pretty incredible really. Only reason why I'm doing this is because I scored a pre-owned one for a song from an AER friend and it's simple to use. More info on what they are:

https://www.cartekmotorsport.com/pow...ibution-panel/

The the entire front of the car and drivers side rear quarter of the car also got banged up at the Mid-Ohio Saturday race in October so there's also body work to be done and some aftermarket fenders going on the car (now a proper 240 lol). Looks like I hit a pole, but that pole was the roll cage b-pillar of another car:

Will get pictures, updates, and stories from 2019 races next....
Old 06-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #95
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Speed Academy finally got our brakes on their K-swapped S14 kouki. Thing is a beauty.

You can watch their video here: https://youtu.be/9_6RnZII3fs

Track test most likely coming up in a few weeks. Think they're adding some power?

Old 06-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #96
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
I just found your thread!!! Yay!!! I just got mine on.... I still need to do the write up!

-Ken
Old 08-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #97
Colorado S14
Zilvia Member

Colorado S14 is on the path to ruinColorado S14 is on the path to ruin
Wanted to hop in here and thank you for sharing this project, really enjoy the updates.

How is the ABS project going?
Colorado S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #98
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado S14 View Post
Wanted to hop in here and thank you for sharing this project, really enjoy the updates.

How is the ABS project going?
Hey, thank you! The ABS project was completed last year and I couldn't recommend it enough. One of the best modifications I've done on the car. If you or anyone else needs some pointers on getting this done, just hit me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828
I just found your thread!!! Yay!!! I just got mine on.... I still need to do the write up!

-Ken
Awesome. I'm surprised it took it that long! LOL I hope you're enjoying the front kit.

2020 has taken the wind out of our sails a bit for racing unfortunately. We've managed to hit the track a couple of times in our "spare" car just to get some laps in:

We also sold off the complete VQ35DE setup to a fellow S14 endurance team in the Atlanta area. They'll be racing in WRL and hopefully with us in some AER events. Shipped in an enclosed pallet:

We've started messing around with fitment on our new engine. Here's a hint (shouldn't be too difficult):

And what's a 240 without over fenders? We felt left out....and need to cover the crunch from the Mid-Ohio incident. Chargespeed fenders:

Shout out to this sick S13 running our rear BBK. An LS swapped autoX monster:

Old 08-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #99
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I apologize if you had mentioned this in an earlier post, but what company did you use for the MK60 wire harness?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #100
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I apologize if you had mentioned this in an earlier post, but what company did you use for the MK60 wire harness?

The guy who makes these harnesses is Race Harness Technologies. He's essentially the MK60 guy. If you want to put it in a 240 he may re-direct you to work through me.

I helped the S13 in my post above install MK60 ABS with a RHT harness, FWIW.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #101
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Very cool thread! Might have to add that MK60 unit to my spaceship build.

I'll be checking back more regularly!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #102
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Subscribing, really wanna give this front brake kit a try.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #103
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
You should. Loved mine!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #104
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Subscribing, really wanna give this front brake kit a try.
Hey Kyle, I just responded to you in the road race pic thread. PM me or email me at [email protected] and I can answer any questions you may have about upgrading your brakes. Your car looks fantastic BTW.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #105
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Hey Kyle, I just responded to you in the road race pic thread. PM me or email me at [email protected] and I can answer any questions you may have about upgrading your brakes. Your car looks fantastic BTW.
Thanks man! I appreciate! I cant imagine finding a better package anywhere else. I'm on R33 brakes F&R now, which keep up fairly well, and just cant justify upgrading unless I do the 2pc rotors, which adds a fair bit of cost. So I'm gonna do a few more sessions on my current setup, and evaluate after.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #106
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Alright, what have you guys found to be the best bang for the buck for pads on that wilwood kit? Steet pads? Track pads?

Last edited by BlackZenkiS14; 01-26-2021 at 12:34 PM..
BlackZenkiS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #107
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
How's that Tomei diff holding up? Can I buy my old J30 cover off of you?

How does the (I assume) S54 fit?
Old 08-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #108
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Steve View Post
How's that Tomei diff holding up? Can I buy my old J30 cover off of you?

How does the (I assume) S54 fit?

Hey bud! The Tomei diff is essentially our backup at this point, but we loved it. I don't see why not on the J30 cover.

As for the new engine, if it were an S54, that would be pretty awesome. But, S5x engines have the exhaust on the other side of the head
Old 08-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #109
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Wow, totally forgot to post this up.

I got this brake kit this year, and it has been an absolute pleasure to work with Tom and the crew at C4. They went above and beyond.

Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/M1MKoaShxwE