Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
RedCoupe818

Trader Rating: (0)
RedCoupe818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Best Springs/Struts setup??

I'm looking to buy a good spring and shock setup for my stock coupe with a decent ride drop , Any recommendations ? I know coilovers are the best bet but i cannot afford to spend over $550 right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks .
RedCoupe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
You can buy coilovers for that much.
Some new ones that arent that great..
Or some good used ones.

Come on man, you are pretty damn close to a decent set of coilovers.
Just save up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
240lookis
BANNED

240lookis is an unknown quantity at this point
coilovers

GOOD spring/strut setups are too expensive and not worth it IMO
240lookis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoupe818 View Post
I'm looking to buy a good spring and shock setup for my stock coupe with a decent ride drop , Any recommendations ? I know coilovers are the best bet but i cannot afford to spend over $550 right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks .

THE BEST FOR WHAT!?
There's nothing in the world that's the best at everyfuckingthing.
Why don't you search?
Here, I did it for you.
Every "best" and "Best coilover" thread ever imagined.
Knock yourself out.

http://zilvia.net/searchresults.php?...ver&sa=Go#1000
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Koni yellow shocks with some GC spring are the best combo for the price. They work better than most Japanese coilovers for that price.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
RedCoupe818

Well i wanted people's opinion on what they think is the best shock/strut setup for the price, best for what you say The PRICE! they all have the same basic function , I just didn't want to risk on buying some springs just on the fact of what they advertise and claim their springs can do , I rather hear what experienced enthusiast would recommend, If your gonna get all worked up about it why even bother , I would have to agree that there's nothing thats best at everything but there is things that are better than others , I just wanted to hear from people what they think is a decent shock or spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
THE BEST FOR WHAT!?
Why don't you search?
Here, I did it for you.
Knock yourself out.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
JayDee M Rolly
Nissanaholic!

JayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really niceJayDee M Rolly is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JayDee M Rolly
save up for coils, unless you're gonna pick up a shock/spring combo for dirt cheap
JayDee M Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
RedCoupe818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
THE BEST FOR WHAT!?
Why don't you search?
Here, I did it for you.
Knock yourself out.

.....oh yeah ...Thanks for searching but i wasn't trying to find out what the best coilover is, I was trying to find out a good Shocks and Springs setup.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
RedCoupe818

Thanks to everyone for their Input, Anyone else have something to say about a good set of springs and shocks ?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
KYB agx with sportline springs
Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/s-ocII.asp

Save up. You'll be happier.
There isn't many springs that's going to drop your car like you want. If you want a drop then GC is the way to go.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:31 AM   #12
goldee240
Zilvia Member

goldee240 is on the path to ruingoldee240 is on the path to ruin
want my agx and stec or sportlines pm me lol im moving on to coilovers
goldee240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Save-up for coils, and NOT cheapie knock-off crap. Stance is the minimum. If you are hell-bent on a spring/shock combo get koni yellows with RS*R race springs and some camber plates. That set-up will probably run more than $550 though.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
RedCoupe818

Thanks to you all finally decided on my setup !!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #15
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
and that is?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #16
mobilesuit818
Zilvia Member

mobilesuit818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dang, this guy asked for the best spring shock combo. Its a very good question.
No need to go crazy over it.

Its true, he should use the search function, but a simple response is sufficent.

It's funny how people are so selfish when it comes to advice. We should be subjective when we give opinions out. It just makes you look like an arse.

Quote:
Koni yellow shocks with some GC spring are the best combo for the price. They work better than most Japanese coilovers for that price.
+1, I completely agree with this guy, He knows whats up. I highly recommend this for daily driven, especially on f*cked up roads that are common in the 818, Koni have really good dampening, one of the best in my opinion.

I roll with this exact setup and recommended to everyone who daily drives and wants a cheap upgrade.

Add some sways bars, tires, and brakes, and you will have a good setup that will last, and not kill your back.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
240slowpoke

240slowpoke is an unknown quantity at this point
i sellin my tokiko blues on eibach sportline springs thatlowers it a good 2.1 in the front an i beleive 1.8 inthe rear shocks r pretty fresh an have a good soft ride> im tryin to gethks coilovers shoot me an offer l start it at 3 bills gets u all 4 spring an shock setup
240slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
20 til 3
Zilvia Addict

20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known
i like my tokico hp's on eibachs... and honestly there is NO coilover under 1200 that would be better than them... they wont blow out or just have shitty spring rates/construction

i plan on going for coilovers, but i dont plan on being cheap about it... but if i would go back now i would get GAB struts because there are actually adjustable... DO NOT GET KYB's
20 til 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
Brian04
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
Brian04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
i'm running tokico blues with tein s-techs, and they're just okay. not low enough, and i wish the dampening were a bit better. Koni yellows for sure would do the trick, with some eibach sportlines or GC, like silverbullet mentioned
Brian04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Eibach Sportlines are too soft. They're designed to lower the car more but have much lower rates, so they're not a performance oriented spring. Plus the Tokico and KYB replacements struts/shocks shouldn't be used with a spring that low, you risk damaging them.

The best setup I have used when coilovers weren't a dime a dozen was GAB Super HPs with Grex springs. I had Cusco upper mounts for more stiffness, car looked great, handled exceptional, and still rode reasonably comfortable. But those items easily added up to more than an entry level coilover. Again, this was over a decade ago when the only coilovers easily attained were HKS, even Tanabe and more known name brands were all special order. With what's available now you can easily get a good coilover set for a good price.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #21
240sx123$
BANNED

240sx123$ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have KYB AGX's with Eibach sportlines, and as projectrdm said.. theyre pretty soft. Comfy, but soft. The drop was minimal- I have about 3/4" wheel gap in the rear and about 1" up front, which makes it look a bit awkward. Im happy with the ride quality, but not the performance nor the stance. I spent $300 on my whole setup. I would strongly recommend saving up another 200-300 bucks and get coilovers. There is a vendor here on zilvia that sells quality used coilovers in your pricerange.

Can anyone recommend a coilover thats more ride quality oriented than performance oriented? Of the three suspension requirements (stance, handling, comfort), Im really looking for stance and comfort. Handling can take the back seat, I just want to be able to go another 1" lower without my ride quality going to shit. (apologies for the threadjack, but I thought it was relevant so I didnt see an issue)
240sx123$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Why would you come to Zilvia for information? That was his first mistake.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
240sx123$
BANNED

240sx123$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Why would you come to Zilvia for information? That was his first mistake.
Hey, as long as projectrdm and codyace keep posting... Ill keep reading.
240sx123$ is offline   Reply With Quote