Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
How about them Cobb Tunes?

Should have bought an EV lolzzzz
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2022, 03:51 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its interesting how the subaru community is so butthurt @ Cobb, instead if actually being butthurt at the EPA. Can't blame Cobb in making the decision of breaking the law and the EPA just shutting down their company, or playing by the rules.

Although, previously working at a Subaru aftermarket based company.... I'm very familiar with butthurt subaru owners
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:17 AM   #3
OLC__BRIAN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
OLC__BRIAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^ Definitely agree they're getting angry at the wrong people. Although I would be kinda pissed if I had recently bought an accessport and have not had it installed yet as it's now a useless paperweight.
OLC__BRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLC__BRIAN View Post
Although I would be kinda pissed if I had recently bought an accessport and have not had it installed yet as it's now a useless paperweight.
I don't think its a useless paperweight. I think it will be EPA compliant with April of 2022 mandates, and their software is being restricted from certain things to be modified or adjusted.

I imagine the standalone market is going to get massive increases in sales now.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #5
OLC__BRIAN
Leaky Injector

OLC__BRIAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't read about it too much so I could be wrong but the new update seems to limit pretty much everything. Can't raise boost, can't change injectors, can't adjust fuel/timing, can't disable any code etc.

But yea hopefully this doesn't make stand alone prices go through the roof.
OLC__BRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't they just bypass all of this shit by saying it's for "Offroad Use Only"?
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #7
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
I believe their accessports stated that previously. I imagine it has a lot to do with inspection laws.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This has always been a grey area that the EPA has taken a sterner look at recently, hence SEMA fighting back with the RPM Act.

The EPA's position is that a device which defeats or violates emissions controls in a production car is illegal even if the part is only intended to be used in a race car. To put a finer point on it, the EPA does not believe that the use case of building a race car from a production car justifies the existence of parts that can be used to break the law in a production car.

This is a huge change of mindset that's taken place slowly over the past 5 years or so. It started with the diesel tuners since, whatever your stand on the issue, coal rollers were causing lots of quality of life complaints, a lot of "can't the EPA do more about this?" Hence also why companies that make piggybacks and plug'n'play tunes have been the first to get hit in the gas engine tuner world.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #9
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
IMO this only really impacts the high horsepower bois. Even then those people really should ve going stand alone anyway. The casual enthusiast who just want a simple increase in fun factor shouldnt be phased by this at all
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #10
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I imagine it has a lot to do with inspection laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
This is a huge change of mindset that's taken place slowly over the past 5 years or so. It started with the diesel tuners since, whatever your stand on the issue, coal rollers were causing lots of quality of life complaints, a lot of "can't the EPA do more about this?" Hence also why companies that make piggybacks and plug'n'play tunes have been the first to get hit in the gas engine tuner world.
Damn, coal rollers... What's next? Can't modify your suspension, because of the hideous "Carolina Squat" people?
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:12 AM   #11
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Lifted trucks have always been the target of suspension modification laws that end up catching lowered cars, those are always just state laws though. My state specifically bans the carolina squat by name, but I bet if you had a drag car set up like a '50s gasser it would fall under the definition.

It's both inspections and street enforcement for visible stuff like suspension. Maryland doesn't have annual safety inspections - only when the car changes hands - but they ticket heavily for safety violations.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:18 AM   #12
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
IMO this only really impacts the high horsepower bois. Even then those people really should ve going stand alone anyway. The casual enthusiast who just want a simple increase in fun factor shouldnt be phased by this at all
It only directly affects those people in the middle that want cars that have street manners but no longer meet emissions - but honestly that's an important market for aftermarket companies and they know it. Yeah, it doesn't affect the casual owner who just wants to plug in the tuner and maybe throw on a catback which is probably most of Cobb's actual sales, but the people who really push the limits of what a Cobb tuner can do are the ones that build the brand's reputation.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:24 AM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I hope this lights a fire under COBB to work on providing C.A.R.B legal tunes.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #14
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Damn, coal rollers... What's next? Can't modify your suspension, because of the hideous "Carolina Squat" people?
On the way home from dropping the 5th grader off at school here in central NC, I saw a squatted Ram with two troopers on him and chuckled as I continued on my journey.
Fuck those guys

And I write too!

Last edited by Phlip; 04-27-2022 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: b
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #15
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Its interesting how the subaru community is so butthurt @ Cobb, instead if actually being butthurt at the EPA. Can't blame Cobb in making the decision of breaking the law and the EPA just shutting down their company, or playing by the rules.

Although, previously working at a Subaru aftermarket based company.... I'm very familiar with butthurt subaru owners
It's not what they did, it's how they did it.

1. They continued to sell E85 kits up until the announcement even though they've likely known for a year that those kits would be bricked once the update pushes out.

2. They are trying to spin this as a big "We love Green!" move, rather than - "EPA fucked us". So yes, it's on them.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #16
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
I hope this lights a fire under COBB to work on providing C.A.R.B legal tunes.
In 5 years factory tunes won't even be CARB legal.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:28 PM   #17
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
It only directly affects those people in the middle that want cars that have street manners but no longer meet emissions - but honestly that's an important market for aftermarket companies and they know it. Yeah, it doesn't affect the casual owner who just wants to plug in the tuner and maybe throw on a catback which is probably most of Cobb's actual sales, but the people who really push the limits of what a Cobb tuner can do are the ones that build the brand's reputation.
It also impacts anyone wanting to run Flex-Fuel, E85 and the GTR boys wanting to flip over to speed density.

None of those features would cause a car to no longer meet emissions - in the sense of actually passing an actual pipe-test.

That's the problem with this EPA over-reach. It literally has nothing to do with air-quality and everything to do with just "DO AS I SAY!"

They have no data to support a E85 Tuned STI is causing more pollution then a stock STI on 91. They have no information showing Speed-Density is releasing more emissions then MAF.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:29 PM   #18
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Disagree.

If you own a stock STI and want to run E85 which will net a solid gain in power, this effects you. You wasting a shit ton of money for nothing now.

I thought we wanted people to go to alternative cleaner fuels?

I guess we need to subsidize the lithium strip mining industry in Africa and China.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #19
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
INone of those features would cause a car to no longer meet emissions - in the sense of actually passing an actual pipe-test.
Passing an annual tailpipe test is not the same as the extensive certification OEMs go through and does not cover most driving conditions. Tailpipe tests are a spot check meant for catching broken cars.

Quote:
They have no data to support a E85 Tuned STI is causing more pollution then a stock STI on 91. They have no information showing Speed-Density is releasing more emissions then MAF.
And you have no data that it wouldn't, therefore the rules default to you can't change it unless you have the more extensive testing to prove that overall emissions are still within limits. If you can do that, provide the data, the part can get a CARB EO.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:25 PM   #20
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
I thought we wanted people to go to alternative cleaner fuels?
Ethanol is a boondoggle, not a 'clean fuel'. Farming the crops and then producing the fuel takes as much fossil energy as it displaces.

A proper E85 tune shouldn't increase emissions as it's just replacing one fuel for a cooler running, oxygen-bearing one; tuned correctly it can make more power and the same emissions. But again, if you can do that, run the full gamut of EPA tests and get an EO#.

Last edited by AKADriver; 04-29-2022 at 08:53 AM..
Old 05-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #21
Corbic
Post Whore!

KA

Quote:
Ethanol is a boondoggle, not a 'clean fuel'. Farming the crops and then producing the fuel takes as much fossil energy as it displaces.
And yet EVs get a pass despite requiring strip mining third world countries for highly toxic materials, processing them in highly toxic off shore plants then charging them with coal burned furnaces that transmit power over a grid that loses up to 80% of the power generated.

All of those while helping enrich the despots of the world.

E85 is a win-win since we net produce more corn then needed and it subsidizes farming without actually having to just cut them checks to stop growing or destroying crops.

It would be great if we just took all the High-Fructose Corn Syrup out of the food industry and burned it as fuel.

Quote:
A proper E85 tune shouldn't increase emissions as it's just replacing one fuel for a cooler running, oxygen-bearing one; tuned correctly it can make more power and the same emissions. But again, if you can do that, run the full gamut of EPA tests and get an EO#.
Yes... The 5,000 E85 tuned STI's are such a huge environmental impact we need to crush an entire industry for it. The 10 largest container ships in the world pollute more then all the cars in the world combined. I'm sure legalizing pot has more carbon emissions then all the Subarus in the US.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #22
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
And yet EVs get a pass despite requiring strip mining third world countries for highly toxic materials, processing them in highly toxic off shore plants then charging them with coal burned furnaces that transmit power over a grid that loses up to 80% of the power generated.

All of those while helping enrich the despots of the world.

E85 is a win-win since we net produce more corn then needed and it subsidizes farming without actually having to just cut them checks to stop growing or destroying crops.

It would be great if we just took all the High-Fructose Corn Syrup out of the food industry and burned it as fuel.

Yes... The 5,000 E85 tuned STI's are such a huge environmental impact we need to crush an entire industry for it. The 10 largest container ships in the world pollute more then all the cars in the world combined. I'm sure legalizing pot has more carbon emissions then all the Subarus in the US.
Shhhhh.

When you try to talk to people about emissions and the environment and explain how cars today from most 1st world countries cause far less harm than boat and plane travel (LOL - billionaires love the planes though you know) they kind of lock up.

This isn't directed at AKA in particular at all, just as a general sense. No critical thinking among 99% of the people that just blindly screech about cars and emissions.

Also, Corbic - we don't always agree, but good call on subsidizing the farm industry. Actually a point I never thought about. I am no E85 guy, but that is an interesting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
On the way home from dropping the 5th grader off at school here in central NC, I saw a squatted Ram with two troopers on him and chuckled as I continued on my journey.
Fuck those guys
I mean, I agree in part I don't like that "scene", BUT be careful about supporting the slippery slope of cracking down on modified cars of any spectrum. It will all end up affecting every facet of car modification. The slippery slope of laws, historically through almost every society is a pretty clear indicator of this.

Quote:
It also impacts anyone wanting to run Flex-Fuel, E85 and the GTR boys wanting to flip over to speed density.

None of those features would cause a car to no longer meet emissions - in the sense of actually passing an actual pipe-test.

That's the problem with this EPA over-reach. It literally has nothing to do with air-quality and everything to do with just "DO AS I SAY!"

As I alluded to in the beginning of this post. People just blindly follow their political religion (yes, for most people politics has become a religion today) and do what their political party locks steps about. Same BS for stuff like EV. It's all "end pollution" and "the environment"... meanwhile, plastic is a petroleum based product, batteries are mega pollutants, the energy grid is certainly not capable of this, etc. But nobody actually questions the ideas.

Sigh.

Oh well.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #23
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Mikey Botti just tuned a subaru to over 500 WHP on a "green tune".

This is still annoying, and a step toward the EPA taking away all the fun.