Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
rancid240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (72)
rancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
SR20det battery/brake light (even after alternator change)

Background, its an sr motor that had brake/battery light on, dead battery. Charged battery (tested good), lights were still on. Took out SR alternator, replaced with re-man KA unit. Both lights are still on. Interestingly the SR alternator tested good after removal as well.

All connections appear well, alternator ground to battery has no resistance, battery posi to alternator power has no resistance. Also tested for volt drop accross both and nothing measurable.

From what I've read on this website Charging System Checks (Alternator Testing) the battery and brake light's come on when the alternator is not giving any charge. However, the car is putting out 11v off at battery, when on its 13.5 volts, I read that you want 1.5-2v extra when alternator is on to signal that you are charging.

What I want to do is test the alternator's output to the battery light, which I am assuming is the clip harness that comes from the alternator. However, I want to know what kind of voltage I should be looking for? If its not putting any voltage out it will trip the battery light, but how much is enough to turn it off? Thanks
rancid240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
ecuastyle84
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ecuastyle84
Did you check your alt fuse?
ecuastyle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
rancid240
Post Whore!

rancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enough
I checked any related fuses
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
rancid240
Post Whore!

After looking at this and checking my wiring, I found out that my alternator clip was faulty (it was hacked up).

So if your having trouble with your alternator charging make sure that thick wire on the connector is putting out volts with the car on. Otherwise the alternator wont put out the correct power.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
yeah looks like you solved your problem. The plug that goes to the alternator is the next one to look at if all of your connections are solid. If one wire is connected (white/red) doesn't matter if the other wire breaks. The other wire however is the one you'll want to work if indeed you run into a situation where the alternator fails or a fuse does blow so you know where else to look.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
240Zfunahollic
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (35)
240Zfunahollic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
if this is an s13 chassis, check the 10 amp eng cont fuse in the box next to the battery. That was always my battery/brake light problem. I blew it several times too. I now have a reworked engine harness and havent had the problem since.

Visit My Trader rating page
http://zilvia.net/f/traderratings.html?u=15347
240Zfunahollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
vertsilvia93

Trader Rating: (0)
vertsilvia93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Zfunahollic View Post
if this is an s13 chassis, check the 10 amp eng cont fuse in the box next to the battery. That was always my battery/brake light problem. I blew it several times too. I now have a reworked engine harness and havent had the problem since.
which fuse was this?? I am having the same issues and I cant figure it out!
vertsilvia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertsilvia93 View Post
which fuse was this?? I am having the same issues and I cant figure it out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Zfunahollic View Post
the 10a eng control fuse in the box next to the battery.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote