Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
Suit
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Suit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wink Let's talk about the Chevy lights..

I can only assume a large portion of you have seen this post or it's aftermath floating around some of the s-chassis groups on Facebook. For those that haven't, a dude used late 80s Chevy headlights on his Silvia front end conversion and it's making the internet explode. Here's the original post:

There have been two responses to this
Response A -
Response B -

So really, what do you guys and girls think? Dumbest thing ever or smart move? I'll start.. Personally I thought it was pretty clever and for a few reasons I'll elaborate on.

-Obviously for starters is the ever rising prices of bricks, it's a very cost effective option for this front end that also doesn't happen to, in my opinion, look half bad compared to some of the other stuff people have been known to use in place of sil headlights.

-Another reason is if this were to become popular, I believe it will actually help preserve the sets of bricks that are still out there. A lot of nice sets got completely destroyed in one way or another whether there life ended on a battle torn track car or on a vehicle that was totaled on the road. Which leads to my last thought.

-If your car is a dedicated track weapon I think it's a great idea. Your planning on beating and banging the car up anyway, you're going to be a lot less disappointed when you crack or explode a $50 headlight on the track than a genuine set of bricks. Most track cars don't have the best body panels and gaps/fitment as it is, so the lights not fitting perfect seem to be less of a concern here.

I'll end this by saying, if your car is built to look nice and clean with light street duty, I'd still rather see real bricks on it.

To the owner of the vert in question and OP of the original post, I'm sure you're on here, NM local here. Saw you drive No Coast this past year where I first saw your car and I thought it looked awesome! I'll admit here, when I saw the car In person, I had no idea those were not real bricks lol
Old 02-16-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Meh. I can agree with them being a cheap alternative for a track oriented car. But they look terrible, imo. I would much rather run a fiberglass "combat eye" headlight before running that.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
Suit
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
Meh. I can agree with them being a cheap alternative for a track oriented car. But they look terrible, imo. I would much rather run a fiberglass "combat eye" headlight before running that.
The straight black panel covers look decent but lose lights, I personally don?t like the illuminated combat eyes. I?m a pop up guy and always have been so I don?t have the same attention to detail for Silvia lights, but like I mentioned in the post I really didn?t even realize they weren?t bricks when I had seen the car in person at an event in 2020. I thought his car looked good tbh. Shame on me I suppose
Old 02-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
i have zero issues with these. its getting annoying seeing all the younger dudes getting all butt hurt and bitching about it TBH. guy came up with honestly the best idea for aftermarket S13 silvia headlights EVER. lightbars are just fucking stupid. the Chevy lights actually LOOK the part and function properly.

the amusing irony i find in all of this is... SO many people (especially youngins) are all on the LS motors nuts, but when someone puts yet another Chevy part on an S-Chassis, the internet loses its mind.

theres another fellow now working on metal bolt on mounting brackets for the Chevy lights. im all for it. i have to swap my hatch to S13 silvia face later this year so i can work on the S13 silvia bumpers i plan on releasing... and im really debating on doing this lighting setup as blowing $700-$1000 on just head lights (and thats coming from Japan via DHL since EMS is down) is not exactly something on the agenda that im happy about.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
Suit
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
i have zero issues with these. its getting annoying seeing all the younger dudes getting all butt hurt and bitching about it TBH. guy came up with honestly the best idea for aftermarket S13 silvia headlights EVER. lightbars are just fucking stupid. the Chevy lights actually LOOK the part and function properly.

the amusing irony i find in all of this is... SO many people (especially youngins) are all on the LS motors nuts, but when someone puts yet another Chevy part on an S-Chassis, the internet loses its mind.

theres another fellow now working on metal bolt on mounting brackets for the Chevy lights. im all for it. i have to swap my hatch to S13 silvia face later this year so i can work on the S13 silvia bumpers i plan on releasing... and im really debating on doing this lighting setup as blowing $700-$1000 on just head lights (and thats coming from Japan via DHL since EMS is down) is not exactly something on the agenda that im happy about.
I had the same thought with the Chevy swap stuff lol. Also, all the people calling out poor and broke stuff was also ironic to me, the car is a painted and well put together 1jz track car which is by far not a poor mans build at this point. For what it?s worth, and not all of them but most them saying those things had unfinished, non running cars or no s-chassis all together lol. And man I must say, if one guy doing this to his vert had this much of an effect on the current s-chassis community, having Dorki Dori produce front aero that purposely utilizes these lights will make people LOSE their minds! Haha
Old 02-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Guy improvised and it turned out great. Anyone hating is just being a cock, who cares not your car. He’s not advertising them as oem or bricks, let him be. Schassis owners will forever be the peanut gallery.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
heres the guy whos making brackets...

https://www.facebook.com/RRFabs/

so $100 for Silverado headlights and another $200 for the brackets. sounds like a steal to me versus $500-$1200 for Silvia headlights, most of which are beat to shit.

oh and dont forget that the Silverado headlights are actually aimed for LHD roads, unlike S13 Silvia headlights which are set up for RHD roads.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #8
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Not gonna lie thats pretty genius. Kudos to them for figuring this out
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #9
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Cool indont need to make brackets. My neighbor has 2 80s suburbans and it fits exactly into my 1 piece east bear lightz as well. Come companies even make halo projectors with the same size.

Thanka for sharing
Old 02-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #10
deolio
Post Whore!

deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
I thought they were levin headlights when I saw that car previously.

The proportions look kinda weird, but it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as stupid ass light bars do.

I'm still curious about how 6th gen Galant headlights would look after all these years haha
Old 02-17-2021, 12:40 AM   #11
K4RR
Leaky Injector

K4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choices
if someone would just have some bricks copied in china = rich
K4RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RR View Post
ROI isnt there

Old 02-17-2021, 02:30 AM   #13
Ryan_H
Leaky Injector

Ryan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura aboutRyan_H has a spectacular aura about
All I can tell you is I'm tired of seeing it all over every FB 240 group there is. I don't even know why it's so polarising. I am a fan of OEM and genuine parts over everything else, but I don't see how this is different to any other headlight transplant that people have done over time (e.g. the Odyvia)
Ryan_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:25 AM   #14
derek king
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
derek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
they look better than oem
Old 02-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #15
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
They don't follow the curve of the hood but aren't terrible... and are too short. Not something I'd do. I always thought the late 80s early 90s mitsubishi mirage lights might work.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:00 AM   #16
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This shit is annoying on fb. End of story.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #17
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A bunch of kids are going to run these on the street and blind people because they're completely unaware of the fact that replica headlights are utter shit and have to be aimed properly with a photometer to even come close to being safe for street use. AFAIK, the factory headlights (which were honestly probably shit too, given GM's '90s quality) have been discontinued, so the scatter-prone aftermarket headlights are the only ones available.

It's the same argument as bricks, except bricks are purpose-built to glare into oncoming traffic.

Either setup would need custom projectors to be truly street-legal in the sense of respect for other road users.

Track cars- good to go. Street cars- pay up, buy bricks, have them converted to LHD by making friends with someone who has a photometer and quite a bit of time to set them according to SAE J2560 standards.

I know, I live in a fantasy world. The real world is populated by CUVs with excessive glare as delivered by the factory and an NHTSA that gives exactly zero shits that it's made night driving more dangerous, not less.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:13 AM   #18
derek king
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
derek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
A bunch of kids are going to run these on the street and blind people because they're completely unaware of the fact that replica headlights are utter shit and have to be aimed properly with a photometer to even come close to being safe for street use. AFAIK, the factory headlights (which were honestly probably shit too, given GM's '90s quality) have been discontinued, so the scatter-prone aftermarket headlights are the only ones available.

It's the same argument as bricks, except bricks are purpose-built to glare into oncoming traffic.

Either setup would need custom projectors to be truly street-legal in the sense of respect for other road users.

Track cars- good to go. Street cars- pay up, buy bricks, have them converted to LHD by making friends with someone who has a photometer and quite a bit of time to set them according to SAE J2560 standards.

I know, I live in a fantasy world. The real world is populated by CUVs with excessive glare as delivered by the factory and an NHTSA that gives exactly zero shits that it's made night driving more dangerous, not less.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #19
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek king View Post
That guy plus 130lbs plus a beard plus a hat is me, yes.

Hacking shit together has been the modus operandi of the S-chassis crowd for generations now. It's getting old. We, as a community, are old enough and smart enough that we should be able to not only figure out new options but also be cognizant of their shortcomings and overcome them.

Or, I guess we can just spend $300 on headlights that don't really fit in any dimension and say, "fuck it" and then bitch about how there aren't any clean chassis left because everything's been sawzalled by xanax-addicted high-schoolers.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:34 AM   #20
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
He is a friend of mine, known him and the car for a few years now. I didn't even realize they were chevy lights until he had the car out and popped the hood one day while we were talking about the swap. They look pretty damn good and unless you're within 5ft of them, you honestly couldn't even tell if you take in to account how many people don't run a grill with their setup anyways.

At the end of the day the car sees the track more than it does the streets. Just like the rest of the front end being fiberglass, if it takes a hit, its easily replaced. That's it. That's the point. For some reason, a lot of folks can't wrap their head around it.

He also has a high mount setup so the space just isn't there either to accommodate the original housings. Its a damn good compromise.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
you dont need a light meter to setup a cars headlights, dimwit. you just need to know what you're doing.

in stock form, those truck headlights make great toilet paper. if you're broke i guess they are better than no headlights. but even at the quick glance that i gave them, i doubt that users will be able to align the optics AND the fitment alignment once installed on-car. you wont be able to achieve both.

ive said it time and time again, brick headlights should be discarded in the trash bins. the only headlights worth using are the dual or triple projectors WITH a modern projector conversion.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #22
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Quote:
ROI isnt there
Yup, there needs to be somewhere around 2-4000pcs (of EACH SIDE) made, plus the $5-10k mold fee that the factory will charge.

No one is going to front $300-500k to make headlights for people that complain about prices all day.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #23
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Yup, there needs to be somewhere around 2-4000pcs (of EACH SIDE) made, plus the $5-10k mold fee that the factory will charge.

No one is going to front $300-500k to make headlights for people that complain about prices all day.
if the quantities were in the few hundreds for sets... i wouldnt mind pursuing the idea as the mold costs are honestly pretty cheap. but yeah, a $300k investment in something that would never see ROI in the first 5 years isnt worth it.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:28 AM   #24
K4RR
Leaky Injector

K4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choicesK4RR has made poor choices
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

America isnt the only country that would buy them think about it.
K4RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #25
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
America isnt the only country that would buy them think about it.
and you're oversimplifying the production/logistics problem.

I can have headlights made tomorrow. I'm not going to wait 2-4 years to get my money back.

[email protected]
Old 02-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #26
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
you dont need a light meter to setup a cars headlights, dimwit. you just need to know what you're doing.
You can aim headlights for your own better vision all you want, but headlights are more than just for you to see with. Other road users have to deal with our headlights' scatter and glare. I have astigmatism and as such, it means glare is amplified. Millions of people have astigmatism and who knows how many others are dealing with starring from lasik procedures. Blind someone at the wrong time and you may be on the receiving end of their temporary blindness.

I used to not care, but now I do care. I try to care about how my actions affect others, and I've educated myself.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #27
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
I'm pretty sure sooner or later Nismo will offer brand new bricks through their heritage program.
Nissan is actively reducing parts vendors, I doubt it will make it to Heritage Program.

Just look at the S14 Power Brace, 3x the price vs old with zero change in manufacturing or design.

Quote:
if the quantities were in the few hundreds for sets... i wouldnt mind pursuing the idea as the mold costs are honestly pretty cheap. but yeah, a $300k investment in something that would never see ROI in the first 5 years isnt worth it.
Well, it can be made in any quantity... just have to pay out the nose for the lower quantity.

Tooling costs is just an estimate though.

[email protected]
Old 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #28
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
You can aim headlights for your own better vision all you want, but headlights are more than just for you to see with. Other road users have to deal with our headlights' scatter and glare. I have astigmatism and as such, it means glare is amplified. Millions of people have astigmatism and who knows how many others are dealing with starring from lasik procedures. Blind someone at the wrong time and you may be on the receiving end of their temporary blindness.
forget driving, buy yourself a walker
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #29
deolio
Post Whore!

deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
I'm pretty sure sooner or later Nismo will offer brand new bricks through their heritage program.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #30
merlz
Zilvia Member

merlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to all
I mean... If it weren't for dudes like this. The community wouldn't evolve at all. Everyone would just be stagnant with what is available.

The whole Sil80 premise was invented this way. 180 front ends were too expensive due to headlights so Silvia front ends were bolted on instead. Started a phenonium because of it.

Hat's off to him I say.