Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #91
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
op do you have a 240sx?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #92
Livid_240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Livid_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
op do you have a 240sx?

He does not.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #93
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

zangetsu1223 is an unknown quantity at this point
no not yet but im gettin it nxt year for sure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #94
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

ok, you need to get a s chassis 1st, THEN we can go from there....
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #95
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

yeah figured that..ill spend about 3k for the whole car and 1k to make it more reliable before putting on aftermarkets..

Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #96
Livid_240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
ok, you need to get a s chassis 1st, THEN we can go from there....
Agreed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #97
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

OP sounds like he needs a s13 rather than a s14
Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #98
Livid_240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
OP sounds like he needs a s13 rather than a s14
Yeah, an s13 would probably be friendlier to his goals and budget.

Go s13 op, buy rolling chassis and swap in a sr20. It'd be cheaper than buying a ka s14.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #99
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid_240sx View Post
Yeah, an s13 would probably be friendlier to his goals and budget.

Go s13 op, buy rolling chassis and swap in a sr20. It'd be cheaper than buying a ka s14.
yeah i was thinking about that too..my original plan was a s14 kouki or zenki KA or SR but as far as the suggestions here go, i think im going for s13 but the ones listed on craigs are mostly s14..i hope it changes by nxt year

Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #100
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangetsu1223 View Post
look man, i appreciate you being kind enough to answer some of the questions that ive been asking..also i dont care if you're being sarcastic or an asshole all i care about is the knowledge not spoonfed but advices that could be helpful to keep me from beating around the bush for longer but dont give me that bullshit about blood,sweat and tears cuz dude, im 20 i got two jobs and im full time at school so i am
fully aware of what hardwork is and especially in my country and what happened now..

i respect your experience on cars but dont be underestimatin this generation just because you've seen like a thousand threads like this..

You've got a much better attitude than most of these jackasses now-a-days, I can commend you on that at least. You've really got to do your own research though man. I'm reading the posts from these "helpful" and "friendly" members and just shaking my head. Most of these guys really don't know enough to give you an real relevant advice. Most of them hardly know any more than you do. For example, buy a rolling shell and swap an SR? That's fucking stupid for a beginner. Do you want to go drifting or do you want to have a project car that you can't drift untill it's complete??? Buy a complete running car, spend your time driving it and your money on track time. All those super awesome shiny parts will come with time. You don't need an SR, you need to learn how to drive the KA. Once you've gotten to the point where you feel that the KA is holding you back, then upgrade.

Take every single piece of advice that you get with a grain of salt. Assume everyone else is a jackass and doesn't know WTF they're talking about. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!! Over time you will figure out who knows WTF they're talking about and who doesn't. Once again, ONLY EXPERIENCE can teach you that.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #101
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

OP needs a running and driving ka or sr powered s13 to start off with.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #102
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

GUZZLE7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
You've got a much better attitude than most of these jackasses now-a-days, I can commend you on that at least. You've really got to do your own research though man. I'm reading the posts from these "helpful" and "friendly" members and just shaking my head. Most of these guys really don't know enough to give you an real relevant advice. Most of them hardly know any more than you do. For example, buy a rolling shell and swap an SR? That's fucking stupid for a beginner. Do you want to go drifting or do you want to have a project car that you can't drift untill it's complete??? Buy a complete running car, spend your time driving it and your money on track time. All those super awesome shiny parts will come with time. You don't need an SR, you need to learn how to drive the KA. Once you've gotten to the point where you feel that the KA is holding you back, then upgrade.

Take every single piece of advice that you get with a grain of salt. Assume everyone else is a jackass and doesn't know WTF they're talking about. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!! Over time you will figure out who knows WTF they're talking about and who doesn't. Once again, ONLY EXPERIENCE can teach you that.
Lol come on man i thought my advice was pretty fantastic. But hes totally right a lot of what you read is people just like you that dont know so you really have to search for the hard facts and do trial and error

Last edited by GUZZLE7; 11-20-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #103
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
What you are doing, here in this thread, is generally highly frowned upon here on Zilvia. We emphasize research and searching for yourself. We get offended/pissy when someone simply wants answers handed to them. We all started off with not a lot of knowledge on this subject ourselves. The difference is the older guys didn't have easy answers at our fingertips. we spent our time browsing Japanese websites that we couldn't even read to find out what parts were out there somewhere. We couldn't post a dumbass thread asking for info on a spoon, it wasn't there.THAT'S our attitude. It's not that we mind helping people. It's just that we get sick of seeing the same threads and questions posted over and over again. It's about RESPECT, which is something that's no longer taught to kids IMO.
This edited version of your post should be copy and pasted into newb threads and then the threads should be locked. Zilvia's problems solved.

To throw my two cents in on this thread, here's what I always recommend to people that are just starting.

1. Coilovers (Yes, over springs and shocks IMO)
2. Solid subframe bushings
3. Tension rods
4. Tension rod brace
5. Bucket seat
6. An alignment with zero toe all around, and at least 2-3* of negative camber in the front

These six things make the car incredibly more consistent, which in turn makes it easier and less frustrating to learn with.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #104
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLE7 View Post
Lol come on man i thought my advice was pretty fantastic. But hes totally right a lot of what you read is people just like you that dont know so you really have to search for the hard facts and do trial and error
Says the guy who's thread on what's under the KADE intake mani needed like 20 corrections from myself...

Why did you feel it necessary to take my post as a personal attack against yourself? I didn't quote anyone, I used a random example that stuck out in my mind. I don't even know if you gave the kid the TERRIBLE advice to go out and buy a shell or not. I don't feel the need to look either...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #105
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
OP needs to just say "fuck it" to drifting and just start off with AUTO-X events with SCCA with a stock car.

Baby steps, sir, baby steps. Hell, I would put modding the 240sx on hold while you're in school with 2 jobs. I know, I've been there and held off modding for a better college life.

My dad once said this "Don't be a slave to a car."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #106
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:

yeah i totally agree with you on that plus im also the kind of person that learns more from experience..

and also i use this method..i list all of the mods that would help me greatly compare each one and then look and research about the stuff that pops up the most like the differentials..

ohh im not looking at things like swaps right now..that comes years later..also, getting a shell wont make any sense for me cuz then i wont be able to drive it right away and like u said im a beginner so the best thing for me to start with is stock and lots of seat time..

i want a car thats got a decent amount of ponies but handles well..

Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #107
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
OP needs a running and driving ka or sr powered s13 to start off with.
agreed!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #108
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
This edited version of your post should be copy and pasted into newb threads and then the threads should be locked. Zilvia's problems solved.

To throw my two cents in on this thread, here's what I always recommend to people that are just starting.

1. Coilovers (Yes, over springs and shocks IMO)
2. Solid subframe bushings
3. Tension rods
4. Tension rod brace
5. Bucket seat
6. An alignment with zero toe all around, and at least 2-3* of negative camber in the front

These six things make the car incredibly more consistent, which in turn makes it easier and less frustrating to learn with.
where do you get these parts though? and ohh yeah i saw your build and its pretty sick..

Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #109
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
OP needs to just say "fuck it" to drifting and just start off with AUTO-X events with SCCA with a stock car.

Baby steps, sir, baby steps. Hell, I would put modding the 240sx on hold while you're in school with 2 jobs. I know, I've been there and held off modding for a better college life.

My dad once said this "Don't be a slave to a car."
actually i looked into auto x too before i decided to go drifting cuz a couple of my buddies are participating there..

yeah i considered holding off too..i mean when you get into this kind of stuff you need to consider like everything before you decide but what im gonna do is get a car by nxt year hopefully by march or april and then take a little break and dont put any mods on it yet cuz once you got it, its not gonna go anywhere..

Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #110
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zangetsu1223 View Post
where do you get these parts though? and ohh yeah i saw your build and its pretty sick..

frsport.com
enjukuracing.com
stance-usa.com
poweredbymax.com

just to name a few... theres are loads of vendors on here that advertise alot on here... also you can get discounts for being a member (on zilvia) on some sites.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #111
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

tein has some really good inner and outer tie rod ends.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #112
VegasDrifterS13
Zilvia Junkie

VegasDrifterS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
tein has some really good inner and outer tie rod ends.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Yes they do. No Buckling from lock to lock in burly transitions. I have them on my car. Very pleased.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #113
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
I dont understand why this thread is so long when its an easy answer especially to someone who just wants to start out.

Once you have the S chassis,
Just get your diff welded and go to a track to start sliding.
If you can afford it, get some coils and arms to try and lower the center of gravity to make it a bit easier to control and feel.

really is that simple.

As far as engine selection it just depends if you want the car to do the work or if you want to learn how to control the car.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
Old 11-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #114
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
For example, buy a rolling shell and swap an SR? That's fucking stupid for a beginner. Do you want to go drifting or do you want to have a project car that you can't drift untill it's complete??? Buy a complete running car, spend your time driving it and your money on track time. All those super awesome shiny parts will come with time. You don't need an SR, you need to learn how to drive the KA. Once you've gotten to the point where you feel that the KA is holding you back, then upgrade. .
this is the best advice given so far!! even tho he bashed you a bit...eventually his knowledge did come out just right!

and that was exactley what i was going to sugest.
I spent 1.5 years building my first car into an sr car without driving it because i thought i needed a turbo car...so much time waisted..

buy a good running car $2-3k, not an incomplete project.... learn to drive it well, and if you buy anything first make it coilovers.$1000
dont buy megans...buy stance/pbm/bc etc...
welding the diff or getting a vlsd also could be 1st or 2nd thing..

after you feel you can drive the hell out of it and you have gone to multiple track events....is when you should bother with engine and more power.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #115
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Says the guy who's thread on what's under the KADE intake mani needed like 20 corrections from myself...

Why did you feel it necessary to take my post as a personal attack against yourself? I didn't quote anyone, I used a random example that stuck out in my mind. I don't even know if you gave the kid the TERRIBLE advice to go out and buy a shell or not. I don't feel the need to look either...
lol i was just messin around. damn your brutal. and come on man it was only like 19 corrections. i appreciate the corrections tho i needed the information
Old 11-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #116
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLE7 View Post
lol i was just messin around. damn your brutal. and come on man it was only like 19 corrections. i appreciate the corrections tho i needed the information
WOW, that's the second noob that I've run into in this thread that actually has a good attitude and doesn't take everything straight up the ass. Kudos!

I didn't catch the sarcasm there. Remember, sarcasm doesn't translate well with nothing but text. You've gotta be pretty obvious to get that across. I prefer "smileys", they do the trick nicely!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #117
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

Quote:
WOW, that's the second noob that I've run into in this thread that actually has a good attitude and doesn't take everything straight up the ass. Kudos!

I didn't catch the sarcasm there. Remember, sarcasm doesn't translate well with nothing but text. You've gotta be pretty obvious to get that across. I prefer "smileys", they do the trick nicely!
Haha good does this mean im on your good side now? because im probably going to need some of your help and knowledge in the future. And woahh bro im not just a Noob im like a Journeyman Noob, almost a Master Noob (did i do good with the sarcasm there?)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #118
serious_student
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
serious_student is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Man, this industry really has filled up with snobs over the years. Only a few people in this entire thread offered this kid some help. Weren't we all new to this game at one point? I worked on my first 240 12 years ago. I bought it for 400 bucks from an ad I read in a newspaper. Yeah son, an actual newspaper. I had a friend who had been stationed in Japan while on tour in the Air Force. I asked him a million questions about drifting and s chassis setup. He answered all of my questions and was genuinely helpful. I am guessing that is the type of treatment this kid was expecting when he posted his question. This industry needs less assholes and more mentors. How else can we grow? People should be excited to jump into the car scene because of how they are treated. People shouldn't think "screw getting an S chassis, people who drive them are dicks."

So here ya go kid:

First of all, I am assuming you want to drift a car at events and learn how to drive well.

1. find a mechanically sound car. Have a qualified person or a mechanic inspect it. Make sure the frame is straight. Buy a car with dents, they are cheaper. You don't need a flashy car with bodykits and wheels because you're going to smash it up anyways. Don't spend more than 1500 bucks on your first one, watch out for salvage titles and cars with back fees.

2. Change you own oil, learn about the ins and outs of the car. take it apart, put it back together, have someone watch over your work who knows what they are doing.

3. Buy new brake pads that grip hard and used coilovers of a decent quality, not some garbage from ebay. Buy rear adjustable control arms, used. Now you can set up your camber. have someone help you set it up. Get a drift spin knob and disable your e brake button, and tighten the 10mm nut in the e-brake handle until the brake grabs nice and crisp.

4. get a used bucket seat to hold your little ass in place.

There you go. decent bare bones drift car setup for around 2500 bucks. Get a helmet and keep it off the street. Enjoy!

Last edited by serious_student; 11-24-2013 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: accidentally hit enter
Old 11-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #119
serious_student
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
serious_student is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dang, forgot one last piece of advice. Drive. a lot. Stick with that simple setup that I suggested and maybe get a big radiator and a fan since you'll be revving the piss out of your engine. Save all your extra budget for tires and event fees and drive in as many events as possible. Don't try to keep up with the Jones and have a garage queen that is never ready. you'll be 35 and have never driven your car because all your gas money goes into new wheels and bubble dildo shift knobs. Be smart and progressively add to your car according to your budget and skill level. Ok that's it. Go have fun.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #120
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

^ well put

zilvia has way too many bad attitudes and complete a holes. Need more people to give good advice and help people learn instead of hinder them.